1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Country Upbringing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SpitfireXSoarin, Jun 5, 2013.

1. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone live or have lived on a farm or ranch here? I've grown up on a farm in the middle of nowhere (so secluded the school has conjoined classes of three grades and my grade was two people -me and the Moons' daughter). I drive tractors, combines, spray coups, ect over the summer and my dad probably sees it as proof that I'm "just confused" and really a guy but I'm getting off topic. I'm curious if anyone else has agricultural background or has family members that are.

PS- The biggest city I saw in the first ten or so years of my life was Amarillo and I thought it was huge. I don't know of there's anything in the rules about posting where you are but if it's ok I could easily show you guys, rules allowing of course.

2. AlamoCity

Well, I grew up in a large city in Texas but my mom grew up in a small town farming and ranching. In fact, to this day, she prefers the taste of fresh milk (as in straight out of the cow without pasteurization, though she's gotten used to store-bought milk. My grandparents were raised in a small town in SE Texas (current population 1600). In fact, my dad and I are the first true "city slickers" of our family (aside from cousins). I can't really relate to the life but know that I do want to return to the lifestyle. My desire is to one day find a guy who's willing to move to the country and commute to town for our 9-to-5 jobs. Of course, I'd like to live in an area that has a "live and let live" mentality because I know rural areas tend to not be as liberal as the city I live in. I know this isn't the answer you may have expected, but I'll give you my 2ยข.

P.S. I've been to Amarillo and it's not that big :icon_bigg. So you must really live in a small town. And also, when I think of Amarillo, I think of George Strait.

3. theMaverick

I spent most of my life in a small city (50,000) and then a small town (1,000) and I've been in the big city (Fort Worth) for the past year. I enjoy big city life, but at some point I'd like to go back to a small town and a simpler life.

4. Harve

I grew up on a dairy farm... but I'm the worst farmer ever and whisked myself away to Glasgow, a big city in Scotland, for university at the earliest opportunity. I'll leave the farming for my siblings.

5. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  6. theMaverick

Dang you really were out there in the middle of nowhere.

7. RebelD

I lived on a farm just outside of my hometown for about 9 years (was 3 years old when we moved there). Never really got into the whole farming thing though. But I have some good memories of that place :slight_smile:

8. AKTodd

Grew up on a sorta farm. At various times we raised or boarded goats, pigs, ducks, geese, chickens, horses, and donkeys. I have fed, watered, mucked out after, tied out, assisted in or observed the castration of, and assisted in the skinning and butchering of one or another at various times (somehow skipped milking the goats, although drank lots of goats milk, and ate lots of goat meat). Throwing hay bales and grain sacks around took up a good chunk of some days.

The nearest city was about 3hrs drive away. My home town was maybe a couple hundred people on a good day.

Todd