1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pronouns

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justjade, Jun 6, 2013.

1. justjade

For all people who do not identify as either male or female, what pronouns do you like people to use when referring to you? I prefer masculine pronouns, although I don't really feel entitled to a preference since everyone sees me as a woman. This is a huge problem for me since I'm not comfortable with my female body. I guess it's good that I know when someone is referring to me, but I could go either way. Besides, I'm not sure it's practical to correct everyone who refers to me as "she" and then explain myself to them. The whole process just seems rather exhausting.

So what about you? What's your pronoun preference? Does it matter?

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I don't particularly mind any pronouns, as long as the gender someone perceives me as doesn't influence their expectations of me. That said, it's always a pleasant surprise when people go the extra mile to use gender-neutral pronouns to refer to me. :slight_smile:

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I prefer male pronouns but I've only ever had them used online or with the people I'm out to. I've had female pronouns for the past eighteen years of my life and while I suppose I can tolerate it, it's hard to hear. There's absolutely no reason why I should correct anyone out of the loop- they percieve me as a woman and the less they know otherwise, the better until I'm out on my own. Still, it's getting harder every day to listen to the endless loop of 'daughter', 'she', 'her', 'young woman'. So the temptation to come out and correct them is, believe me, highly tempting.

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've always felt strange about female pronouns and have decided to start using gender-neutral ones online to see if those feel any better. I don't think I would like male pronouns, though I do like it when people think I'm male.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That.

Although, I couldn't possibly count the number of days I have wished gender flat-out didn't exist, and we could all just call each other by our names...I feel like me. Cameron. The entity within a human body that was for some reason chosen to be called "Cameron." Lol.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

THAT! The fact that what's between my legs apparently means there should be something fundamentally different about what's between my ears has caused me endless frustration.

7. AlamoCity

This thread is not for me, but I am very curious to know what would be some gender-neutral pronouns you could you in a conversation with someone who you want to use those with.

8. Hexagon

Ze and hir.

9. girlunwound

I have met a few GQ/AG people who use them and I admit I have a difficult time with it.

10. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In real life, I use male pronouns since I'm not out, online where I am out, it doesn't really matter to me what pronouns others use, but when speaking in 3rd person, I tend to use Yivo's pronouns. (Yes, Yivo from Beast with a Billion Backs, so shklee/shklim/shkler...)

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Owen, can I use ze in the third person for you?

For all else, I prefer feminine pronouns in the third person for me.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't mind what pronouns people use with me. Some people use masculine pronouns and some use feminine. As long as people treat me decently, I really don't care which pronouns people use with me.

13. Hexagon

Thank you. I've been wondering what to call you in my head.

14. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I actually don't care. I have only been referred to as a he though by people who have never met me or talked to me, but have read my name and thought it belonged to a male. I didn't think it was a common occurrence until I started my mentoring job in the fall and had to do a lot of e-mailing. It's then when I was reading forwarded e-mails between students (who I would eventually meet) and supervisors that they often talked about me using the pronoun 'he'.

15. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

We prefer that people refer to us with the royal 'we', 'they' and 'them'. :king: