1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popularity

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, Jun 6, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hey. So, I'm in high school right now, and I've been thinking for a while about popularity. I'm kind of popular in the sense that most everyone knows me and likes me in my grade and I go to the "cool" parties sometimes. It took me a while to realize this, but the vast majority of the popular kids are complete assholes. They constantly backstab each other and are really mean to kids that arn't at the same social standing as them. And when you really want to seek a friendship that doesen't revolve around getting hammered on the weekends, they suddenly bail on you. This happened to me over the last few months. I was popular in 9th and 10th grade, and in order to be popular at my school, you can't hang out with anyone who isn't, so I slowly stopped hanging out with the people who are "uncool" and hung out with the popular kids. I eventually got tired of their bullshit and started hanging with some seniors. They seemed nicer at the time, but they eventually left for college and I'm stuck with no real friends at school. I've come to realize that popularity doesen't matter and you should really just try to find some real friends. Anyways, sorry for the really long rant. So, what do you think about popularity, and what was your social standing in high school?

2. Dins3label

I don't know, I'd rather be popular than "popular". That is, I'd rather have more friends than a select group of elite friends. You're right, it is really pointless.

But then again, you're still talking about it and acknowledging it, so maybe you're giving the popular kids more power than you think.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a "popularity surfer" as in I fit in with every one of the clicks at school pretty well. The jocks, cool kids, goths, I'll hang with anyone who wants me to. I'd say I'm popular, but it doesn't really matter to me, because I have my close niche of friends and everyone else is just extra.

4. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm liked by most people at my school, but I have my one group of friends that I hang out with. My school doesn't really have a pecking order; we're mostly all friends, and those who think there is a pecking order (a group of around 5 girls and 3 guys) are actually disliked and considered idiots by the rest of the school. I'm in between the nerds and the jocks, and I'm happy there.

5. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I was pretty much a social outcast. My group from middle school disbanded after freshman year of high school and I never found a new one. I liked hanging out with the band and theater people, but I still didn't quite belong. Not that I cared; I think I spent most of high school in a depression-induced haze and didn't want to socialize anyways.

6. The username

Agree. I preferred my high school years where I didn't try and hang out with 'cool kids.' I had that time, but then I went the complete opposite direction and joined robotics and had a blast with that... until some people that were serious about it joined the next year lol. I started out high school with a big group and I graduated with maybe like 3-4 good friends that I hung out with which I didn't mind and found to be nicer. Trying to be popular was too much work, imo.

7. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Popularity in High School always just seemed fake to me. Fake personalities, people trying to "fit in" with the cool crowd while not being themselves, etc. That's just my experience.

8. KnownSecret

I never really sought popularity I always wanted to find the people I find interesting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I did have an averagely large amount of friends, I'm the kind of person who can talk to anyone without any problems, I just love people, and laughing and having a good time. I never really stayed with one clique, I kind of jumped around. I wouldn't strive for popularity if I was you, it's cool to have a bunch of random people as friends, but truthfully how many of those friends are true friends, friends that will love you and support you always! I'd rather have a few true friends then a bunch of friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have hundreds of friends but only some talk to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Which is why I say popularity isn't always fun, I recently was very depressed because no1 really talks to me anymore, and it's hard to go from everyone talking to you to no one, but I have always said since then, screw those people there the ones who are missing out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#8 KnownSecret, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  9. Knight Pan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends and I aren't really the popular types. My best friend is friends with practically everyone, and some are all over the place in the hierarchy but for the most part we're just there. Neither popular or "losers". Me....well...let's just say people know me but that's because of some stuff that happened in 7th and 8th grade. Also 'cause supposedly it's weird to have these random days in which you're completely hyper and can talk everyone's ears off or just be happy. Also a lot of people are afraid of me because they think I give off this whole "I hate you and I want to destroy you" vibe to most people. I don't get it. :grin:

10. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was the awkward mysterious kid in the back doing shit on his computer that the rules said he wasn't allowed to bring, but none of the staff cared.

Okay, before that I was the awkward mysterious kid who always fell asleep. I was picked up by a group of sophomores when I had just about no friends, so I always hung out with them until they graduated out of their senior year. Then I was the awkward mysterious kid in the back doing shit on his computer that was against the rules, but nobody gave a shit about it.

So as for my opinion on popularity? I don't really care much for it. I don't like living in the limelight, I prefer to be behind the scenes. I post a lot though, because I like to argue and have civil conversations. And now I go to a school that's all about being behind the scenes, so my group of friends has just about doubled.

11. Hexagon

I've always been a weirdo.

12. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In high school I was in a group of friends called the "rejects" and do you know what they were better friends then any off these "popular" kids who think their superior and branded us the "rejects".