1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the attraction to Marilyn Monroe, Dorothy Garland, Lady Gaga?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What is the attraction to Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Lady Gaga?

If they were to take a study, it would bear out that more gay men are really interested in these entertainment icons than straight men are, except for maybe to have sex. What is the reason for the imagery, the pictures, the posters, the quotes, and that sort of stuff? I've once read a write-up on this fascination, but it was in a book I skimmed.

#1 Tightrope, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  2. AKTodd

Not sure with Marilyn Monroe, although she seems to have some degree of iconic status with a lot of people. I'm sure there's more to it than that, just didn't find anything in a quick google.

Judy Garland:

Judy Garland as gay icon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lady Gaga has been an outspoken advocate for gay rights and gay marriage, not just on general principles but in a somewhat 'in your face, straight conservatives!' kind of way. Which tends to earn her points in my book:slight_smile:

Todd

3. Level75

If some academic people are to be believed, they represent some form of glamour and tragedy that gay people find attractive. Judy Garland apparently had a rough life and gay people see her struggles and compare it to their own...

...personally, I think people that try to draw those comparisons are grasping at straws.

4. Amerigo

f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s