1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with the pressure to be straight?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Just Jess, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Just Jess

So I'm sure every single person reading this has felt a lot of pressure to just go back to a straight life or even living a lie at some point.

What are some of the things you do when the pressure from swimming upstream all the time gets too bad?

2. evora

I self harm and make myself sick. But please don't do what I do, I'm sure there are better ways to deal with it, I just haven't found them yet.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^Come here and revel in non-straightness? Whenever I'm away from the pressures for straightness, I tend to sort of rebound and go more towards the gay side, even though I sort of have "straight privilege" as a bi guy in a straight relationship. In general conversation though, sexuality never even comes out. People just are who they are, so I can honestly say I don't really feel backlash even from the people I'm out to.

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Come here & be myself :slight_smile:

5. Bolin

I used to just bottle up all my emotions, which was unhealthy. I would also pretend to be straight, which is also unhealthy. Now, I don't do either of those since the pressure to be straight doesn't affect me at all anymore, and being honest with my friends and true to myself has helped deal with the effects of the past pressure that was on me. I don't even pretend to be straight, and I've stopped feigning interest in women. I don't say that I'm gay, either, but that's just because I live with mom, who is a religious nutso. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. AKTodd

Well.. To be honest, no. I've never felt any particular pressure to be straight.

I've had one or two co-workers try to apply pressure (I guess you could call trying to talk me into being straight or going in for reparative therapy pressure) at times in the past (one way back in college, one who reported to me some years ago). I just laughed in their faces and told them that wasn't going to happen in a manner that caused them some degree of distress. The first one got over it and he and I got along better than ever. The second was very unhappy for a bit but got over it, or at least learned to hide it since I was his boss and what other choice did he have?

I spent a good chunk of my childhood and teen years (call it most of a decade) being pressured to conform with the 'norms' of my peers and neighbors. Not in terms of sexual orientation but various other things. I never did and they all failed and these days anyone who tries to pressure me (in a situation where I actually care) generally comes to regret it pretty damn fast.

Todd

7. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is exactly why I joined EC! It makes me a happier person! :icon_bigg

8. Dans le placard

Just tell yourself this: it's your life and nobody at the end of the day should dictate what you can and can't do unless it's going to put you or anyone else at risk (and since being gay/trans won't kill you, nor is it illegal in the Western world, then don't worry!).

That, and spend all your Internet time coming on here, and dance by yourself to ultra happy music! :wink:

9. jokesonyou

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I revel in adversity, for that is where I draw my strength.
    Really though, you've nothing to prove to anyone but yourself! I was really depressed when I decided I was bi knowing my life wouldn't be any easier for the fact. But there's always people to help pull you along if you get tired! Never give up!
    When I get stressed, I listen to music and design costumes, helps me focus on other things.

---------- Post added 8th Jun 2013 at 01:43 PM ----------

There are indeed better things :grin: music is always an outlet, whether it be creating it or listening to it. I still have a burn mark from my attempt at self harm. I decided that hurting myself is no way to relieve my stress. Be creative, make something, and pride yourself in being strong enough to accept who you are.

10. Hexagon

I usually employ the words "fuck" and "off", and I go do internet stuff.

11. Martjain

Yup, it's awesome to have a place for connection with the LGBT community :slight_smile:

But generally when some straight-douchy guy acts this way, I reply, depending on the mood, nicely, respectfully, or mention his mom <among other things.

12. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Not 'pressured' as much as I want to. Guys just piss me off way too much, while girls never make me mad.

I've never been pressured into it.

13. biggayguy

I ate a lot of comfort food to numb my feelings. There were a couple of suicide attempts when the pressure to conform got to me.

---------- Post added 8th Jun 2013 at 08:16 PM ----------

Now I'm in a better place.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

It was never my sexuality or gender that worried me- I was quick to accept myself- but it was my parents and my family and how they'd feel that worried. So I panicked, stuffed my face full of food, and imagined every worse case scenario while finding friends who understood what I was going through. It's really because of EC and everyone I've met that I've been able to accept my gender identity so thank you all, I'm grateful for it.

15. YellowBird

YellowBird Guest

I have that pressure, except I have it to being completely lesbian. I'm completely okay with being a Homosexual, it's the fact that I can be romantically attracted to the opposite sex that bugs the hell out of me.

I tend to deal with the pressure by surrounding myself with people that accept me and if that is not an option I tend to mentally berate myself until I'm reaching for something that might be the equivalency of "life alert". heh

16. leer

when i was in school i was under allot of pressure to keep my feelings hidden nearly all my friends were a bit or allot homophobic and it scared the hell out of me if anyone found out but once i came out to mum & dad I grew more confident talking about it now am happy who i am . I agree places like EC is a grate place to come to where you wont be judged it a place where you can be yourself don't need to hide

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Grant you, I don't feel much pressure to be straight, but I do experience pressure to be gender conforming.

My response to that is to just get confrontational.

Syster Adrian

18. BornInTexas

I eat a lot of junk food, which is bad.

19. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's hard, but I'll try to think of my options, date guys = fit in, date girls = be happy, and then I do something that has nothing to do with being straight or gay, like go for a coffee with a friend or watch a horror movie...

20. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, most of the pressure I get to be straight is from guys who think I'm pretty and are convinced they can cure asexuality by coming onto me strongly enough.

My reaction tends to be utter panic, and then a knee-jerk protective response to get rid of the guy and never see him again. Fortunately, I've only ever had strangers come onto me, so avoiding them is easy. But I wish they didn't bug me in the first place, or at the very least could take no for an answer.

Unfortunately, I tend to have a better bet at getting them to hear 'no' if I don't mention my orientation. I feel badly about it, because the guy probably thinks it's something wrong with him instead of realizing that even Johnny Depp wouldn't have a chance with me. But for some reason asexuality just does not seem to compute with people.