1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which US states will be next to allow gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jun 8, 2013.

1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was pondering this the other day.

The Supreme Court is set to rule this month on two cases that might play a role in this. From what I've read, there could be 4 outcomes:

1. No change in how things are now.
    2. Gay marriage becomes legal in CA
    3. Gay marriage becomes legal in a handful of states that currently allow civil unions
    4. Gay marriage becomes legal in every state

Somehow, I think the ruling will be more narrow, based on how conservative the court is.

So...if we have to go state by state, which states do you think will be next to allow same-sex marriage?

My list of the next 7 would be:

1. California
    2. Oregon
    3. Hawaii
    4. New Jersey
    5. New Mexico
    6. Pennsylvania
    7. Colorado

I think the Last 5 would be Mississippi, Alabama, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Kansas.

What are your predictions?

2. Sarcastic Luck

I agree pretty heavily on your prediction on the last five. I'm not sure about Pennsylvania though.

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True. Philly gives it some hope, as does Pittsburgh...but it has a lot of rural/conservative areas; a bit like Appalachia...er, wait, parts of it are Appalachia.

Colorado might be a long shot...but after they legalized weed, I thought maybe they'll mellow out to the point it doesn't bother them as much. But it does have some big ultra-right wing groups, such as Focus on the Family, among the most rabid anti-gay rights groups.

4. pretty sure we almost got a gay marriage bill to pass, but Chris Christie vetoed it (NJ).

i think.

5. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep, he did just that. But it passed the state house/senate by a good margin. Christie dodged the issue by saying he'd rather have it voted on as a ballot question.

So I'm hopeful that it will pass that way, at least by 2014.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are definitely right about Alabama being one of the last states to allow gay marriage.

7. AlamoCity

I think that in several states, most likely the ones you mentioned, we will see the collection of signatures start to put the issue on the ballot in 2016. It would be nice if we could do so in every state to see just how we fare so far. If the Supreme Court doesn't issue a sweeping ruling, like most suspect, we will probably need to get about 33-34 states to legalize same-sex marriage (2/3rds of the states) to retake the issue before the Supreme Court and federalize the issue and force by court order the Southern states to allow same-sex marriage.

8. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

From further research, perhaps you should add Virginia in your last five.

9. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Hedging my bets on Oregon. And not just because I live there... No...:rolle:

10. AlamoCity

And Texas, just sayin'.

11. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Add Louisiana to last 5. Seriously. EVERYONE is a homophobe here. You should hear what the adults say.

12. AdventurousLez

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like every state will eventually come to recognize gay marriage except for those who are along the Bible Belt.

13. Sarcastic Luck

For the most part, the people in the bible belt are hostile to anything perceived as being different, and it could be as mild as a woman not wanting to have kids.

14. California for sure. Even if there's going to be another Proposition that would ban gay marriage again (talk about stubborn), the majority of California supports gay marriage now.

Btw, I'm sure every state in the deep south (not including Florida) would be the very last ones to legalize Gay marriage since they also banned civil unions.

15. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Illinois might this summer, Oregon and Colorado may in 2014, but it would take a ballot measure. New Mexico would need a new governor, and in Pennsylvania, Democrats would have to take control of both the House and Senate, and win the governor's office. New Jersey needs a new governor, or a vote of the people. Hawaii, as blue as they come, is pretty conservative socially. Support for gay marriage in Hawaii is in the 30% range.

In order to get anywhere in the South, it would take a sweeping Supreme Court ruling. It may happen someday, maybe within the next few weeks.

California's a really interesting state. If the Supreme Court dismisses the case, gay marriage is legal. If they did nothing, and prop 8 stood, I doubt California voters would repeal it. California elects the most liberal politicians in the country, but on ballot measures, they get really conservative. :eusa_doh:

2000 & 2008, vote to ban gay marriage
    1972 & 2012, vote to uphold the death penalty
    1994, vote to ban children of illegal immigrants from attending public schools
    1994, vote to institute Three Strikes Law, sending third-time felons to prison for life
    1978, vote to limit property taxes, and requiring a 2/3 legislative majority to raise taxes on anything or anyone
    1990, vote to term-limit legislators
    1996, banning affirmative action
    2003, through petitions, voters force a recall of sitting Democratic governor, Grey Davis. Davis is recalled with 55% of the vote, and replaced with Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger with 48.53% of the vote, in a plurality.
    2010, voted against legalization of marijuana
    2012, voted against raising the cigarette tax by $1 per pack

16. ChristianHipstr

Agreed. At least, majority of it.

---------- Post added 9th Jun 2013 at 02:25 AM ----------

I'm actually curious, what is the international view of this?
    I plan on living in France, Germany, or Belgium in my adulthood... What are the rulings on those countries?

17. All three of those countries are very LGBT tolerant. In fact, all Western European countries are very accepting. Same-sex marriage is legal in France (2013) and Belgium (2003). Same-sex married couples have the same marriage rights as straight couples, so there's nothing like DOMA being enforced. All LGBT discrimination (including hate speech) is banned in Belgium and France, however Belgium banned all LGBT discrimination in 2003 while France had to take a step at a time, ultimately ending all LGBT discrimination in 2004.
    Belgium is very liberal in terms of LGBT. In the end, it's your call if you really want to move to Europe.

#17 anthonythegamer, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  18. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I am from the Pittsburgh area, born and raised, and I will say that I don't believe Pennsylvania will legalize gay marriage anytime soon. Not only because of the rural areas, although there are many and they certainly wouldn't go for it. Even where I'm from.

The people there are what I would describe as Conservative Democrats. Nominally Democrat but still overly-traditional in their beliefs. As Obama said, they "cling to their guns and their religion", and, yeah, sorry, kinda true.

19. Fiddledeedee

Those aren't the only four possible outcomes from the Supreme Court decision. Regardless of whether gay marriage becomes legal in any states as a result of it, striking down DOMA will mean that gay marriages have to be recognised in all states even if they can't be performed there.

20. ChristianHipstr

Wow! That's great to hear :eusa_danc. I have always dreamed of it and now I think since I'll be moving regardless (athiestic bisexual in ths bible belt? No thanks) Western Europe sounds like a great place :icon_bigg Thank you for the information! (*hug*)