1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay choruses

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SFSorrow, Jun 9, 2013.

1. SFSorrow

Are these a big thing in the gay scene, and if so, why? I've seen them alluded to quite often in my reading around gay 'culture', and just wondered whether they really are and whether there's a reason for it. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I'm just curious as it seems a slightly unusual thing to be so popular.

#1 SFSorrow, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also curious, this question has been on my mind for some time now.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just joined a gay choir. There happen to be 3 in Montreal alone, which is a lot considering the population.

Why is it popular? I have a few ideas:

1) where else can you spend a lot of time with guys you know are gay but sex is not the first thing on everyone's mind (ok it's a close second, but still)

2) without families, it is easier to find the time to practice an activity that doesn't cost much

3) it is primarily a social activity. We were invited to go apple-picking tomorrow, can't go as I have the kids this weekend

4) there are concerts in various cities, one we were alerted to will be in a city 2 hours from here where about 500 participants from various choirs across Canada will gather in May of next year to show off what each other can do, and socialize like there's no tomorrow

5) a gay friend of mine was once president of a local gay choir and he has observed that the relationships that ensue from this activity (of course they ensue!) are longer lasting than the norm

6) most of all, I think it creates a space where guys can get to know each other and be part of a little family that otherwise would not exist. It seems to me to be a tangible entity within the sometimes mythical "gay community"... It's nice to be known and to know others, and from the little time that I have participated, I already sense that there is a real concern for my well-being and for making me feel as if I fit in (which I do!)...that is powerful stuff for anyone I think.