1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Polygamy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrinceOfAvalon, Jun 9, 2013.

1. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    So, A lot of people would like to believe, (slippery slope alert!) that as soon as we legalize gay marriage, we will soon after legalize polygamy, incest, bestiality, pedophilia, etc etc.

Obv. in the cases of Bestiality and Pedophilia, not very many (a VERY small percentage.... like microscopic as far as im aware at least lol) can say with a straight face and evidence as well as proof that Animals and Young children can give "consent" (the legal and literal definition here)

In the case of Incest, there is of course a genetic factor that may be potentially harmful for a child to a certain degree of relatedness among two people, and thats logical. I personally would not care if a brother and sister were dating... as long as they didn't bring a child into the situation, then its a bit reckless... (someone fact check me on how "dangerous" it is, as im not too versed in the genetics of the situation to be honest)

However, when we get to the topic of Polygamy... What is necessarily the problem with it?
    From what I know, it is hard to prove a marriage to several women (or in much less abundance, a marriage from 1 woman to several men) is a relationship of given consent, which complicates things... but given that its possible for things like this to happen, whats necessarily wrong with it? If, in abundance, with a exponential-like growth of acceptance similar to gay rights and gay marriage, we were to allow a man to marry several women, or vice versa? (also, if we were somehow able to prove consent a bit more accurately and neutrally before this could occur)

(Mind you, I personally could never be in love with more than one person at a time; I feel like I'm cheating on a school crush if i think another guy is attractive, despite there being no romantic relationship in reality haha!)

I don't see any logical problems with this, and in fact... I support the notion, (ONLY if it were consentable and provable, and genuine) because theres in my mind, nothing morally or ethically wrong with it... Im sure Finances and legal things will be an issue if this movement were ever to be started (Although it doesn't seem to be gaining any ground from what I can see...) but lets pretend all of that doesnt matte for now ^_^

As an open minded person, (if you consider yourself one for that matte) Do you have a problem with polygamy? Given that its consentable and with the aforementioned "restraints"?

I have a feeling that some people may think its still a weird thought (more likely, incest is more foreign of a thought, but to me its all about who you fall in love with, so my views on that topic and marriage are different as explained above)

Speak your minds people ! :grin: :eusa_danc

*EDIT* Another thing I did not consider is culture in polygamy! A lot of polygamy is part of culture (sects of mormonism and arabian cultures come to mind in particularly) Would this sort of polygamy, that is admittedly taught down to younger people be acceptable? Personally, I would stick to my belief that brain washed Ideas are never good, but that's another topic for me, But what about you guys? Would you think its alright in these cases? Again, Im an amateur on the topic of Polygamy, so im not sure, but I think women in these cultures marry out of societal pressure, and im not sure if they can say "No" In some countries. If they were to voluntarily decide to be wives of a single man, who is to tell them no? (If it is... im not sure how apparent polygamy is in the world at the moment :frowning2: forgive me please.)

I apologize in advance if this topic has been brought up.. people are always joining this forum, so it'll be good to see potentially new people respond if it maybe has been asked.

#1 PrinceOfAvalon, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If it is between consenting adults, I'm fine with it. The problem as it is currently practiced in the US by certain religious groups (*cough*fundamentalist mormons*cough*), it often results in teenage girls being assigned well before the age of consent and young boys being thrown out on the street to reduce competition for women.

3. PrinceOfAvalon

@ newdown, I was personally not aware of that fact! Thanks for enlightening me and sharing your opinion :slight_smile:

4. newdown

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  5. john123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well incest is one thing and polygamy is another. In some countries polygamy do/did exist and there's nothing wrong with . And in the US there are some cases of it. In my opinion, if you are able to love more than one person equally than go ahead and married them. As long as it is an equal amount of love to each spouse. And how you are able to prove that in court, is another question.

6. justjade

I personally don't like the idea, but that's just me. I'm very monogamous. I can only love one person at a time. I only want to be with one person. If consenting adults enjoy it, that's fine for them. It's just not for me.

7. Fiddledeedee

I have no problem with fully consensual polyamorous relationships, where nobody was forced in, there is a good balance of power, and everyone has come to an agreement about how open or closed the relationship is. These aren't as common as other, more negative polyamorous relationships, but they can happen.

(These relationships can have any gender makeup, by the way -- three girls, two guys and a girl, five guys and four girls, whatever. Polyandry is the specific term for one woman and many men, and conversely polygyny is the practise of one man having many female partners, which is what most people think of when they think of polygamy.)

However, although I think it would be good if people in polyamorous relationships could get legally married, that one is a nightmare to set up. Gay marriage is very simple: it makes marriage "two people" rather than "two people of opposite genders". Inheritance, insurance, divorces, weddings, property sharing, etc. still works the same way. Polygamous marriages are not so simple* and without a major overhaul of the way marriage works legally, they won't be happening.

* What happens if one member of a group leaves and the rest don't? It is possible to deal with, but not as easy as just dealing with two people. What happens if A, B, and C are in a triad and B breaks up with A but not with C? What happens if A, B, and C are in a triad and B wants to marry D but A isn't happy with it? And so on.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem with polygamy is that a) it is usually women who are subordinate to a man, and less about love than property, and b) that legal division of estate and chatels would be impossibly difficult unless all was vested in one person, making divorce very complex, and inheritance and legal union would be subject to problems. If it is a union of several, all to each other, it could work a little like a family trust, but that is unlikely, so on the death of the uniting partner, the legal problems would be insane.

9. Hexagon

I have no problem with the concept of polygamy or incest (that doesn't involve inbreeding). However, as many have said, its wide open to abuse, particularly at the hands of religion.

10. Aielar

I have no problem with consensual polygamous marriages/arrangements - heck, I'd be open to/wanting a polygamous relationship in the future if my partner wanted the same thing. I don't like the form it's taken in Utah or British Columbia (with religious overtones, and I suspect adolescent girls are being forced to marry men three times their age, which I don't agree with), but I can see it working for the right people.

I don't know why so many people are against polygamy - people aren't supposed to be monogamous (and I fully believe it's religious influence that has shaped us that way, as we weren't always exclusively with just one person). Again, it's religion that is the problem in the way of mainstream acceptance of polygamous relationship and marriages. I think so anyway.

I think where polygamy gets sticky is when divorce settlements, and childcare responsibilities come into play. With three plus people involved, it'd likely be interesting how that all works out; who gets the house, custody of children, etc? I think, as others have said above, that's where a big issue comes into play, and the legal system would have to be changed to accommodate all that in order for polygamy to be more accepted.

11. PrinceOfAvalon

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!!!

Heres another question then:
    I think its a fair assumption that people are a bit more "grossed" out by the thought of Incest (And MAYBE.. im not sure here - Polygamy)

If you were in an argument talking about gay marriage, and the old horse slippin down the slope comes along about legalizing incest/polygamy as a result of gay marriage (NOT pedophilia/beastiality mind you), would you simply point out the slippery slope, or would you take the next step and tell them that you don't see a problem with either (given certain circumstances we have all mentioned)

I feel like admitting this open minded belief is a step that many americans, or just people in general would not be ready to accept, as many places are just getting to accept homosexuality. It may effectively make the other person arguing think that you are an immoral person who is going to rot in hell, or it may make them take a double take on their argument.

I have yet to run into this situation... so I'm not sure if I would say.. "So, whats wrong with polygamy? or Incest? The taboos of Polygamy and Incest are mostly social constructs, there is nothing inherently wrong with them (again.. exceptions always apply!). It would probably be more effective to only back up gay marriage by pointing out that 1 thing does not necessarily lead to another. correlation =/= causation, etc etc.

At the same time, I get the feeling that being discriminated against like we are has made several of us more open minded and understanding, so it almost seems unfair to cast aside other "minorities"... in fact, im not sure incestuous or polygamist relationships are in fact a "community" of any sort of organization other than mormonism for polygamy (and its not exclusive to that IIRC). Im not sure its really a fair comparison, because they arent as organized in the same sense....

This is a tough decision :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The coward in me may stick to Homosexuality and slippery slope arguments for the sake of winning the argument, because in experiences ive seen (of OTHER people, mind you) The person arguing with them basically disregarded everything they said from that moment on and dismissed them as amoral beasts of lust and greed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Marriage is a legal contract specifically designed for two persons. Denying that contract to same-sex couples is blatant discrimination, since the only difference versus an opposite-sex couple is the sex of one of the partners. It's a civil rights issue.

Polygamy is a completely different issue, and not comparable. Unlike same-sex marriage, polygamy actually would force the nature of marriage as an institution to change, since all the laws, rights, and benefits of marriage are designed for a union of two people. It would be really tough to handle things like child custody and divorce with multiple spouses. And does someone who marries 2, 3, 4 spouses get more benefits than someone who marries 1 person? Could someone make money marrying lots of immigrants to get them citizenship status in exchange for a fee? Then the institution of marriage becomes unequal. And it's not a civil rights issue.

I have no problem with polyamory. I've always been intrigued about the idea of a bunch of people living together in one big open relationship. Tbh I feel like it would get kinda lonely living with just one person in a house, I like being in groups, though not necessarily sexual...but nobody is stopping any of this.

However I see no reason why the State needs to get involved with that with the Marriage institution.

Homophobes who bring up the "polygamy" slippery slope are fools, it's a total non sequitur.

13. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

The polyamorous community is. It's more common than people think. It's certainly not commonly one abusive man + tons of submissive women, like people assume. There can be all sorts of arrangements.

(Polyamorous people can be uncomfortable being referred to as 'polygamous', so be careful).

14. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It all comes down to consent. As long as everybody's pleased, then it's all good.

As for polygamy, I think it's actually pretty cool.

15. Spurned

Spurned Guest

Love is love, but it has to have it's boundaries sometimes, so polygamy is acceptable in my opinion if it's consented and the people are not underage. Other than that, they can go wild for all I care.

16. ScatteredEarth

Honestly I do not oppose the concept of polygamy, but them getting married would only make them estranged towards each other. If you truly love the people than marriage between more than 2 people should not be necessary.

17. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think more research needs to be done on how often polygamous relationships end up with problems of jealousy. I suspect a lot of people just can't handle polygamy. The few who can would need to be careful picking partners to ensure they don't end up hurting someone.

18. smokey-knows-all

i dont care what people wana do with their lives

19. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think jealousy is less an problem with people that are open to polygamy in the first place. They are I think, usually quite openminded people, if you are talking about adults and no arranged situations and such.
    Jealousy is, I believe, most common in insecure people and they wouldn´t want to be in a polygamous relation in the first place, I´d think?

My boyfriend was in an open relationship, which is quite similar. He has no jalousy problems at all.
    I´m not sure about myself. Haven´t been in a situation where it could come up.

I think it´s a thing for people with plenty life experience, and are more about giving and sharing then about what they need or want from another.

20. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

This.