1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

That horrible word: Cancer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lawRAWR, Jun 10, 2013.

1. lawRAWR

Sorry, this may be a touchy subject for some.

Basically, I just got the news that my step-nan, Sue, has died of cancer this afternoon. :icon_sad: She had pancreatic cancer. I didn't ever really speak to her that much, but when I did she was lovely, and she was a lovely woman. My mind has not fully accepted the fact that she is gone, but it has deeply upset me already. I am now at the stage where I am worrying that I never spoke to her enough, or thanked her enough for the gifts she gave me etc.

I am also worried for my Dad and his girlfriend (it was her Mum), I am pretty sure I will not be seeing them for a while, so that they can grieve.

Has anyone else been through this, and could help me?

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, I'm sorry. (hug) If you want to talk, I'm here for you.

3. lawRAWR

Thank you (*hug*)

4. Hexagon

My grandfather died of colon cancer a year and a half ago. Its really difficult to lose someone. The only thing I can really say is that you'll get over the grieving process eventually, and that she knew that she meant something to you, even if you didn't get to speak often enough.

(*hug*)

5. lawRAWR

I'm sorry for your loss, thank you for your response. Yes, I'm glad I spent some good times with her (*hug*)

6. justjade

My mom died from cancer when I was 8. I don't remember what kind, but over the course of her life, she had 3 different kinds. I just went about my life, and I didn't really start thinking about it until I was about 13. I think it's good to grieve now instead of wait until later like I did. And it's not that I didn't love my mom. It's just that we were just thrown straight back into our regular routine, so I didn't get to grieve until much later. I wish you the best. Stay strong. You'll be OK. It will just take some time. (*hug*)

7. BudderMC

My grandfather just passed away on Saturday, mostly of heart failure, but there was some suspected lung cancer mixed in. In a sense, I was fortunate enough to be able to spend the month leading up to his passing with him at the hospital and at home while he was bedridden, so maybe I don't hold the same regrets you do since I've had time to process and accept it before it actually happened.

I don't know if I have any words of wisdom for you, but if you want to talk, I'll certainly listen.

My condolences to you and your family. (*hug*)

8. TruE BlisS

TruE BlisS Guest

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that sweetheart. I know the feeling well..My uncle (mom's brother) past over a year ago from metastatic cancer of the lungs. I felt the same way ,like I didn't speak to him enough and so much more. It's natural to have mixed emotions, worry about other family members or to be upset. What you are feeling is just part of the grieving process. But you have to appreciate the time you did have with her. She knew you appreciated her gifts and you cared. As for you dad & his girlfriend they will be ok they have each other. Don't worry yourself too much..take care x

9. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never lost someone close to me, but I'm so sorry for your loss. You can talk to me anytime if you'd like. (*hug*)

10. DMark69

I am sorry to hear of your loss. Unfortunately cancer runs in my family. I most recently lost my father 20 April of this year to cancer.

11. destiny99

destiny99 Guest

Oh wow. I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my aunt (who I was very close with) to cancer a few years ago. It gets better with time, trust me. I still miss her but it's not a painful, sob-unbearably-whenever-I-hear-her-name missing. I'm willing to talk about it if you ever want to message me. (*hug*)

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My aunt died from breast cancer, my uncle is going through chemo for throat cancer, and my grandma has beat skin cancer. I guess cancer runs in the family. I'm very sorry for your loss, dear. (*hug*)

13. lawRAWR

Thank you all for your responses and condolences. I greatly appreciate your support, and I am also empathising for those who have been through the same as me.

I truly want to thank you all, you have helped so much. I love you! (&&&) (*hug*)

14. Acobi

Acobi Guest

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I have only lost my childhood dog to bone cancer, and that was hard to go through. I think, one of the most difficult things about the disease is often how "unfair" it seems to arise, whether it is acute acting or not.

To many people focus on why their loved one got cancer, what they may have done to better prevent this from happening, etc. I think that always makes grieving that much harder, because it is truly out of yours and their control and due mostly to the randomness of life. Especially with pancreatic cancer. Your step-nan sounds like an amazing woman so focus on that and smile about the wonderful life she lived.

15. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My friend wrote this..

*Cancer Is Beautiful*
    Cancer... one of the only six-letter words that I cannot hear or talk about without the rush of memories flooding back to me, or a tear coming to my eye.
    It is a beautiful thing.
    Yes, it is beautiful.
    I, myself, have faced the effects of cancer when I lost my baby cousin to a battle with Leukemia as a child.
    Yes, it practically forced me to grow up.
    But above all, cancer is beautiful.
    You may be wondering, "who in their right mind even dares to say something like that?"
    The writer.
    The performer.
    The one who can hide the grief with the flicker of a forced smile.
    The one with an ache in the heart.
    The one who has witnessed what beauty can come from this disease.
    The one in a constant struggle with the thoughts of having lost an innocent member of the family.
    The one who never forgot.
    Don't forget the beauty of cancer.
    Beauty? What is beauty?
    And what is the beauty found in cancer?
    If you have ever been in a situation where you visit someone with cancer, you realize that they never let you discover how much pain they carry with them on the journey through treatments.
    They don't give up.
    They fight.
    Through the bruises, chords, and hair-loss they always seem to have the brightest smile.
    They don't want you to feel sorry for them.
    Human Nature has somehow allowed us to forget this.
    For what reason do we cry?
    Are we shedding tears for the one in battle... or just in spite of ourselves?
    Think about it.
    Cancer is beautiful.
    It is through this sickness that family and friends are drawn closer together.
    Things are no longer taken for granted.
    Life becomes a gift.
    Hope is everlasting.
    Prayer is constant.
    And love is eternal.
    Look at cancer in this perspective and tell me how it cannot be considered beautiful.
    Cancer is beautiful.
    My cousin Tayla was a victim to this disease.
    She did not make it, but she lives on in spirit.
    She smiles at me when the sun shines.
    I have one of her teddybears to snuggle with every night.
    I look at her picture every day
    I see a little bald head and a smiling face.
    And slowly I think to myself, "Now isn't that beautiful?"
    Cancer is beautiful.

16. ScatteredEarth

I know exactly how you feel. My Great Aunt (72) died of lung cancer a year ago, and it had devastated the family because of how much she meant to us. But what really hit us the most was that when she had gone into chemo, her outlook on reality was getting a bit.. corrupted. She would keep changing her will and eventually ended up giving 10k to my aunt and uncle, 100k to my other uncle and my father and his brother were left with nothing because they thought we didn't appreciate the things she did for us like help us in times of need and what not, so you can bet that hit us hard when we found out the news and couldn't even say sorry for what we had done to make her feel that way towards us. It takes time to get over this you just gotta be strong and carry on.

17. lawRAWR

This is quite a work of art, your friend who wrote this has talent

18. Em1234

Em1234 Guest

Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your step-nan. My nan died of bowel cancer 5 years ago so I understand :slight_smile: feel free to message me if you want to chat. (*hug*)

19. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

Searched for 'cancer' threads. Yea. Found one.
    I had several experiences with cancer. It were 6.
    But luckily it wasn't me.
    Some people of my family died and some survived it.
    My grandpa had pancreatic cancer. He died.
    Yea. I could never cope with it but now I think I'm ready to just think about it without repressing it.
    When it happened I ignored it. I didn't think of it. It wasn't there for me.
    But now the past seems to come back. Many thoughts.
    That sounds as if I'm depressed or sth. Nope, I'm not:grin:
    But yea. (why am i writing so many yea's?)
    I'm sorry but I can't relate to this text. It's very well written and with another topic I would love it. But no I can't. Cancer is not beautiful.
    Yes, it practically forced me to grow up.
    I think one of the few lines I agree with. I had to grow up fast.
    Had to care bout my family.
    They don't give up.
    They fight.

Not always. I've seen some people suffering. Saying 'I don't want anymore. I wanna die'
    I've seen them walking down the way to death. Literally.
    I think it's genetic. Almost certain it is. I'm afraid I'll get it, too.
    Feels good to write it down. Makes it more real as it already is.
    Well. Yea (another yea).
    Sometimes I don't wanna talk bout it but if you feel the need for talking just message me. If you're still thinking bout it. It's a little while ago since you posted this thread.
    But thanks. I have to be reminded of this things.
    But life goes on and everybody knows that so I don't have to write a lot bout this.
    Thanks guys:slight_smile: