1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you apologize for being awkward?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Akatosh, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Akatosh

I sometimes apologize to strangers for being awkward, especially when it's someone I am attracted to. One side tells me to apologize, almost as if claiming ignorance on how to act, and the other side tells me to not apologize for who I am. I think it's a way of smoothing out social graces through apology, but I also feel that it displays a lower self-confidence and self-esteem, whether that's true or not.

#1 Akatosh, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Sure, it's part of being awkward. :icon_wink

3. BornInTexas

I always apologize for everything. Not sure why. Habit, I think.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I do. At least ten times. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I know I'm really awkward and I'm sorry. I'm sorry for apologizing so much, again really sorry, and I really want to show you how sorry I am for annoying you by saying sorry so much so let me apologize another fifty times...Wait, where are you going? I'm sorry!"

5. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes, yes. Especially when interacting with others online [which, ironically, seems less awkward to say.]

However, I think I'm trying to get out of that habit, in person at least, by simply being a little more upfront with certain individuals when normally I'd be very reluctant to do so. By apologising for my awkwardness or being forward before or while I'm saying something, it seems to 'water down' the frankness of what I want to express towards whoever I'm speaking with.

Not sure if that makes sense or if it really relates to the topic much, if not I apologise.

6. FreeFlow9917

Yup, all the time

7. yidnah87

I do often apologize, especially when someone points out that I'm quiet/shy. I've always been very introverted in social situations.

8. Akatosh

What about when it comes to dating? (especially the inexperienced ones of us out there)

I don't know what's considered 'normal' timing, so I've been googling a lot of 'etiquette' and 'norms' when it comes to asking someone to get coffee (amt of time after initial hello), and I definitely don't know when to give my number.

It'd make sense to give a number when you are about to meet for coffee. Well, I asked to meet for coffee and we can't meet until about 10 days from now. This kinda sucks, not wanting to keep an online convo going for that long, so I suggested we call/text each other as a means of getting to know each other in the meantime. I apologized after I gave my number bc I don't want to give an air of desparation, yet I want to have a more intimate setting for conversation (i.e. phone conversation).

Bottom line: new to dating and don't want to mess things up with people I find compatible.

9. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I'm not really awkward that way. If anything I am way too blunt and forthcoming and it turns some people off.

I guess it's cuz I just don't care what people think of me, lolz. So I'm just myself when I talk to them. They're just mere humans, after all!

10. alwaysdreaming

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I appologize for everything even if it wasn't my fault or it's something little I don't need to appologize for. Like I don't even know.

11. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No. I've been scapegoated enough within my household while growing up.

I apologized when I trespass boundaries, if I've noticed it myself or been called on it. I wish more people would do the same. Not respecting boundaries is probably the #1 reason for calling quits on a friendship, with selfishness being #2. Sometimes these two come in pairs.

12. catoptriclenses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, much more often than I feel that I should but it's compulsive.

13. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do it, but most of the time I point it out in a jokingly way. I'd say something like "in case you haven't noticed yet, I'm kinda weird/awkward". I don't like to be serious because then it would seem like my awkwardness is a big issue and I would need help or something.

14. Level75

Yes. I am a chronic apologizer. I have to restrain myself from saying "Sorry" for saying "Sorry" too much. Meta-apologies!

15. AlamoCity

I really apologize a lot, even if it's the other person's fault.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do this all of the time...

I just started a new job (running a register) and I have apologized a million times. I'm still in the awkward stage of learning how to run the register...

17. TSN2012

I can relate to this. When I start to get awkward i am always like, "I'm so sorryy if i'm being weird or awkward hahaha." And not just for being awkward. I apologize for everything! This is why i hate myself..i'm a people pleaser :frowning2:

18. Hexagon

I have a compulsion to do this, but I try to resist.

19. YellowBird

YellowBird Guest

This was pretty amusing and pretty spot-on :lol:

Story. Of. My life

20. Fiddledeedee

I apologise even for apologising too much.