1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your life plans?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NeverMeetAgain, Jun 10, 2013.

1. NeverMeetAgain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I just finished up my first semester of University and now I'm starting to think about what I want to do in life as far as careers go. I know I want to continue to study biology, but I would also like to have an environmental science and French emphasis in there. I have considered teaching and going to medical school very seriously, and both of those would be careers I love. I don't know about the MD route only because I couldn't pursue my true passion of helping the environment, which is something I could do teaching... but teaching doesn't promise great pay. I'm conflicted.

What are all of your plans for careers? I know some of us are in careers already or too young to start thinking about them, but then some of you are in the same position I am!

2. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

I legit dont even know what i want to do with the rest of my life. i'm going to university though, but I have no idea what to do after that

3. George

Well I just finished my first year of graduate school in physics. I still have probably 4 years left to go, and honestly I'm not sure what I'll do afterwards. For a long time I always thought I wanted to be a professor. However, the competition in academia is extremely fierce and the compensation is relatively low. So, outside of academia my dream job would be to work on physics engines for video games. Modern games are starting to get truly incredible with how they handle particles and collisions, and as computers continue to advance there will be an even greater push for realism. Plus, I think it would be very fulfilling to see my work come to life and be part of the enjoyment of potentially millions of people. :slight_smile:

#3 George, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  4. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to go to college but I'm not entirely sure what I want to do like I like art, genetic engineering, writing, different languages. *sigh* sometimes I think ill just float doing whatever interests me at the moment...

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

College (community, possibly thinking about transferring to a university). Still not sure of my major, leaning on English and Journalism. Hope is to eventually make writing a career. Write fiction, entertain people, touch on social issues. The usual drill. :wink: Entirely dependent on whether people actually like my work, but of course...

And if that doesn't work out, I'll highly consider a career as a bitter, cigar downing English professor.

6. Sarcastic Luck

I graduated college last month, and so I'm currently waiting to take the PCAT in September. I need to buy the practice exams, but those are $85 for three. I also need to get more letters of reference. Assuming I score well on the PCAT, apply to two pharmacy colleges in the state for fall of 2014.

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Go off to University, after I graduate from high school this year, and hopefully decide what my major will be. I'm caught between Australian Sign Language or microbiology/biomedical engineering. Become a qualified interpreter, or do laboratory/research work (depending on my major), speak for trans* activism at my University and do other extracurricular activities. And try my best to remain emotionally stable throughout the majority of it.

Don't know what else. I eventually want to own a home one day and travel the world. Produce music at some point, or write. Wherever life takes me.

8. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. Finish college.

2. Go to grad school.

3. Become a communication professor for my university.

4. Get into politics in some capacity.

9. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

My original plan was to become a physics professor, but then I realized I love computer programming about 10000 times more than physics. Now I'm on track to becoming a programmer of some sort, preferably a games programmer.

It seems like there are a lot of people who ditch physics in favor of computers...

10. chibiidol

chibiidol Guest

i have two possible routes depending on if i somehow get over my life long obsession with japan and the japanese language during my four years of college

1.Go to college (starting this fall)
    2.Major in computer science minor in education
    3.Do exchange program to japan junior year of college

and here is where it splits
    once i have my bachelors..

4a. Go to japan for 3 years as an english teacher through the Jet program
    5a. Find another english teaching job in japan and do computer stuff on the side
    6a. Become a citizen of japan (i hope that by then japan recognizes gay marriage)

or

4b. probably head straight into the work force (but might go to grad school for computer science)
    5b. Get a hot girlfriend, travel the world with her and live happly ever. The End.

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

"Dammit Jim, I'm a programmer, not a physicist!"

Sorry... The situation called for it. ;p

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Forgot to add that one into my original plans. This is it. That is my goal right there.

13. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I'm gonna go to college and uni and do as well as I can there, I think I'll do medicine, biology, chemistry, maths and maybe physics A-Level, and if I'm allowed I'll do psychology and sociology. Then I'll go to medieval school and do all the other qualifications before being an F1 then F2 etc before finally being a GP. I'm going to find the cure for cancer, and I'm going to move to a luxury beach side property in Cyprus, I 'might continue my profession there, or I might move on to photography which is a great interest of mine. If I can afford the expense, I might by a share in a small chain of businesses, and I might become a landlord renting out properties in both England and Cyprus. I want to have awards for equality in all forms, and I want to be reasonably, not famous, just well-known and respected. I definitely don't want to be an actor or anything. I might then start a small charity, and maybe a website for medical support and professional advice.

Basically, I just want to do good for people and bring a gleam of light to this world, and change it for the good. I also want to intertwine my hobbies and interests with a career.

14. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

1.finish college hopefully get into community first
    2.hopefully getting paid at a bakery and doing what I love to -baking
    3. Get a job as a broker I love finances :slight_smile: and owning my own bakery :slight_smile:
    4. Seeing my bf :slight_smile: and going out with him as long as I can
    5. Well idk about settling down and babies lol but yes kind of the picket fence exciting life I'm kinda aiming for .not sure tho

15. Kat kanu

Save to go to college
    get married to a girl who can understand me and I understand her
    Hopefully become a famous singer
    use money to make a safe haven for abuse/GLBT people whose parents suck
    Live happy

16. Acobi

Acobi Guest

I just got my undergraduate degree, and I've already been accepted to graduate school for biology in the upcoming fall semester.

My program is about 5-6 years for a PhD in immunology, after that I plan to take up a post-doctoral position somewhere and after post-doc training hopefully work in industry or land an job in academia (as if :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

Hopefully in this span of 10 years as a scientist in training, I'll meet the man of my dreams, move to the Pacific North-West, and live happily ever after!

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Still on the fence with grad school, preferably begin interning and continue volunteering my time to social activist causes, move out, buy a car, continue exploring my gender+sexuality, and try to live a little for once.

18. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life.

I'm currently a senior - 1 more year before I graduate from the university I'm going to. I'm dual majoring in Psychology and Japanese Studies. By the end of this year, I plan to apply to a Japanese Exchange and Teaching Programme where I can get to go to Japan for at least a year and be an assistant language teacher (good pay + good experience), but it's competitive, and the application process is long.. I'm nervous lol

19. Spurned

Spurned Guest

First on the agenda, meet my girlfriend. Get through college. Possibly University, doing something in photography. Been told to go just for the parties. Gives me a bit of experience of cleaning up and cooking as well as living with roomies. Also want to travel the world, and I've been told I will, though my University funds (which I've been told I have) may have to go towards that, so no University. Dunno yet.

Then, I really don't know. Live with family, try get a job, wait until my girlfriend is old enough and we have enough money to start renting a place together. If not my current girlfriend, at least a friend. I never want to live alone. Start selling my own photography, get lots of pets.

Sounds pretty planned out, but I doubt it'll go like that.