1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Causes that have nothing to do with you

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Do you support any causes (I'm talking civil rights and humanitarian causes here) that don't personally affect you? Its all very well to support LGBTQ rights when you are LGBTQ, but I think its also important to support causes that have nothing to do with you. I get so frustrated when straight people say something along the lines of: "Well, gay marriage is good, I guess, but its not like I can't get married, so I'm not going to get involved."

Support things (or oppose them) because its the right thing to do, not because its your rights being affected. I hope if I were cisgendered and straight, I would still support LGBTQ rights.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I support and donate to UNICEF occasionally, when I come across some extra money. I also like the Shriners from the Freemasons for what they do for little children's hospitals, especially since I was in them a lot from age 0-2.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

When you learn about intersectionality, you realize that there aren't a whole lot of causes out there that don't personally affect you. So I'm going to say no, but just because I recognize all the subtle ways that seemingly disconnected causes affect me.

4. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Owen. I am involved in causes that others would say have nothing to do with me, but I don't see it this way. Like MLK said, "Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly."

Either way, I think it's very important to support causes based on moral reasons rather than selfish ones. What's good for you isn't necessarily good for the world at large, and while it's not easy to look at things in an unbalanced light, it's the only way we can start solving these problems.

5. Hexagon

True, I'm talking more about an immediate and direct affect though. For instance, I am LGBT, I want rights for LGBT people. I'm aware that its not as simple as that though.

6. Femmeme

Sure, I support prison reform and voting rights for felons even though I've never been arrested much less convicted of anything.

I support an increase in the minimum wage, even though I haven't had a minimum wage job in twenty years.

But I'm in agreement with Owen on this. I strongly believe that these issues effect ALL of us even if we aren't direct beneficiaries of their reform.

7. yeah, basically this.

I'm big into feminism which via intersectionality, includes LGBT+ stuff, women's issues generally speaking, body positivity, racial issues, class issues, other kinds of gender issues often including those of men...and the list goes on and on.

All of those things are deeply intertwined. They all have to do with each other. That's not to say that they all affect me in the way that I am the oppressed. Oftentimes I'm pretty privileged, but the people who are underprivileged aren't the only people who are part of the issue. Everyone is.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I support effective treatment and prevention of criminal behavior instead of mindlessly punishing it. But then again, I was a victim of a crime that resulted from psychiatric problems in the offenders, so I guess it does personally affect me. Even though I've only done two very minor crimes in my life and never gotten caught for them.

Um, I also support the rights of Native Americans, and I'm not one of them. I think it's deplorable the conditions that many reserves are in. A friend of mine from Zambia said it reminded her of back home, and Canada is a much richer country than Zambia. And once, I visited Vancouver and walked along Hastings street, going from a shiny rich snobby neighborhood to a neighborhood full of pawnshops, graffiti, and skinny addicts begging for money - with the races changing along with the economic status. It makes me ashamed of my own country. We really should be taking better care of our people.

9. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I'm a big advocate for immigration. I honestly feel we should go back to the way it was in the early 1900's, with a relatively open border policy. At this time, there was no such thing as an "illegal immigrant" and if you could get into this country (even if you were a stowaway on a boat) you could live and work here without visas, working permits, etc., couldn't be deported unless you committed a crime, and naturalize in 5 years.

It was only because of the eugenics movement that sought to limit immigration from Southern and Eastern Europe (because people from this region were seen as innately inferior to Nordic, Northern Europeans) that the immigration laws in this country were changed.

I feel as though immigrants have long had an enriching effect on the culture of this country, and it was largely on the backs of immigrants that this nation was built. It makes me sick to see how a country that was founded by foreign invaders can be so xenophobic, now.

10. ScatteredEarth

I support the prevention of animal cruelty (More specifically the ASPCA.. PETA can go die in a hole) I have always had a cat in my life since I was born and my first cat died at 18. My current cat is now 4 and I would hate to see anything bad happen to her and I spoil her to death. It makes me sick to see people taking dogs and fighting them or starving cats. I had seen this one show on animal planet where a person had literally shot an arrow through a cat's head. Miraculously the cat survived and it missed its brain by near centimeters. and another where an owner had owned a dog that he used for fighting and when he was no longer capable of fighting, shot it in the chest with a .22 caliber pistol and smashed its head in with a brick then tried to claim that the dog had died of heat stroke. It makes me want to shoot their ass instead. It's one of my soft spots and I plan to donate when I get a job.

11. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nope.
    I have no income and I am a greedy person. So I doubt I ever will.

12. Hun

Hun

I'm with ScatteredEarth. I support the prevention of animal cruelty (except for People Eating Tasty Animals. AKA PETA). I'm not a vegetarian or vegan or anything, but I do think there are more humane ways of putting down animals for human consumption.

13. ScatteredEarth

I get what you're saying, but I was more talking about domesticated 'non food' animals such as cats, dogs, certain birds, etc etc. While I understand that they treat the cows and chickens and pigs like crap, there still has to be a supply of them, we can't just pamper all animals even though they're just gonna be eaten eventually. (Sorry if I sound like some heartless b*tch lol)

14. Foxface

I support and have physically worked in building houses in Nepal and bringing mental and physical health to Kathmandu. It's a part of me now. I fell in love with Nepal

Foxface

15. 2112

Being a gay guy, abortion doesn't directly affect me but I still support safe and legal abortions (depending on circumstances). I also support unions and raising minimum wage, but that probably will affect me when I get a job.

16. I support abortion (only from rape and medical issues), civilians owning guns (my city doesn't even have a police department), ASPCA, amnesty for illegal immigration, and women's and men's rights.

I'm also with the AAJC (Asian american Justice Center). Asians hardly get put to justice at times (don't worry, I'm not leaving out other minority groups.).

I'm pretty much against banning guns, torture, and abortions on request.

17. I support the Trans* community even though I'm cis
    I support the bisexual community even though I'm fully gay
    Marijuana legalization even though I don't smoke it
    Amnesty for Illegal Immigrants
    I'm against the death penalty
    I also find it fucked up that atheists can't hold office in some states even though I believe in God and everything

Basically,even though I'm a cis hispanic gay Catholic male, I'm for the rights any group of people regardless of race, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, disability, body type, religion (or lack thereof) and everything else

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2013 at 12:41 AM ----------

Wait, how come you're against banning torture? :confused2:

#17 wonderingdave01, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2013