1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did You Go to a Christian School?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by biggayguy, Jun 11, 2013.

1. biggayguy

I'm asking this to find out if others here shared my experience of being closeted and in denial in high school. There were other kids you just knew were gay but they were treated like pariah. It hurt to see them treated like this but if you were sympathetic then you got the same treatment. There were a couple of really cute guys but it was very risky even to be seen talking friendly with them. I was in high school in the late seventies so I wonder if things are any better today.

2. Hexagon

I did between the ages of 4 and 7.

*shivers*

3. MerBear

My mother did and she got kicked out. hhaha.

4. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I split my time between Catholic school and homeschooling (yes...yes, I know, dear). You can imagine how fun it was for my sister and I, being a couple of queers from an uber traditional, religious family. It was just a barrel of laughs, ha...nope, still can't laugh about it :dry:

Although, luckily, between me, my tattooed lesbian sister, and our brother who is a pretty successful tattoo artist in D.C., we've worn them down a LOT. These days, they're just like IDGAF and they're not really all that traditional, anymore.

5. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it was a public school.

But given it was in a small (pop. < 5000) town in Eastern Montana, it may as well have been a 'Christian' school...

6. biggayguy

Speaking of tattoos: Most of them would disapprove of my tattoos even though one is a celtic cross. The other is a chess piece. I'm pretty much over doing things to get approval.

7. Kat kanu

i went for a year but my older brother got me out of it

8. catoptriclenses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went for 7 years, up until fifth grade....never again.

9. kylo

I went to a private Christian school up til 10th grade. I was always called faggot, gaywad, etc. I wasn't out at all and never felt like I even gave them a reason or acted a certain way for them to think of me that way. Nonetheless that's the major reason I ended up homeschooling my last 3 years of high school.

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went to a French, Catholic boarding school here in Montreal from grades 1 to 3 that was run by nuns (in full habit). Slept at the school all week and was home for the weekends during the school year.

Didn't like homework, so didn't do it, got in trouble, didn't care. Learnt French the old-fashioned way...strict grammar and stricter rules of conduct...oppressive? We had to salute the nuns as we passed them by...

Converted to Judaism at 25...

11. Hiems

I attended Catholic school from kindergarten to freshman year of high school. Given that the public schools around my neighborhood were relatively unsafe, my parents chose to enroll me in Catholic school instead.

My teachers seldom focused on teaching math and science. They taught a lot more writing, grammar, reading comprehension, U.S. history, and religious studies. Most of the math and science background I developed until now came from high school and undergraduate years at university. If I had it my way, I would have attended a middle school that dedicated a good amount of time to all subjects.

A lot of crazy things happened at the schools I attended, including fist fights, violent student-teacher confrontations, and even drug usage (at my high school), which prompted the school to kick out 50-60 freshman.

I was bullied a lot during my years at Catholic school b/c I was such an easy target, but once I transferred to a public school, my experience was much better. There was a lot more diversity - whether it was via race, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. Students and teachers, for the most part, respected one another. People were just... friendlier and easier to get along with. I enjoyed my last three years of high school than the years prior to them.

12. Spurned

Spurned Guest

Between ages 4 and 10, got bullied a lot, didn't have a single friend. Went to a non-Catholic school for secondary school, got a best friend on the first day.

Kind of helps towards why I'm Pagan.

13. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Yes, Catholic school, from 2nd year of preschool until college graduation.

14. The username

I went to catholic school from pre-K to 4th grade. Masses every Thursday... gross. We had the ugliest yellow uniforms too. Actually, I think the school that I went to uniforms got uglier.

It was elementary school, so I really didn't care that it was religious or not. It was very close knit, and I still talk to some people from my class of like... 14.

To be honest, I kind of liked it better than the public school I went to in 5th grade, but I am glad to not have attended a Catholic school past then.

15. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to a christian school in high school. It sucked, my classmates are mother efers. Its a chrisian school but everyone seems to be demonic

16. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I went to a private Islamic school from kindergarten to 12th grade. It was a small school..something like 200 students or so. It was nice because you got to know everyone, and academically, we were always challenged (ultimately made my studying in a university easier on me). Basically, it was normal classes except we also had to take an Arabic class and Islamic Studies class.

Yes, the school is quite homophobic. Homosexuality barely discussed, and if it ever was, it was just that it's a sin. My family has always been homophobic as well. Ironically, going to the school, I think, is what helped me to grow through my teens, etc. not being homophobic (seriously, despite my environment, I was reading gay/lesbian novels from the age of 13). What I meant with is why I think it helped is because the school is very very ethnically diverse. From a young age, being exposed to all these different cultural and ethnic backgrounds allowed to me accept differences in people.

It's really lame and horrible that most people there are quite homophobic, though. ;/ Ultimately, I think it was a good school though because of the education I received (lots of advanced material, homework, and challenges). It's just that I thought some of the people there were not very open-minded.

My 4 younger siblings all go to that school now.

17. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  18. GingerGuy

I'm in a catholic school right now, and have studied in it all my life. Some people are really homophobic, but others are nice and accepting. It's not very different from any other type of school. Sadly, I love my teachers, but I don't think I would be able to come out to them. Specially to a really nice 70- year old teacher who has recently said some homophobic stuff.

19. I went to a Catholic high school. It was a good school, and the students weren't too homophobic either. We had a couple lesbian teachers, and no one really cared.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never went to a Christian school, unless you count Sunday school classes, but I also saw others experience the 'pariah' treatment. Those were the out and proud, the ones who couldn't hide, and their only friends groups of giggling girls.

To think my mother actually regrets not sending us to Catholic school *shivers*