1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Color vs colour

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jun 11, 2013.

1. MerBear

I know this seems like a ignorant thread....but I dont know, This is something between me and an ex of mine.

In the US, most people I know, Spell it without the "U" ....and so did i but now discovering colour can be spelled with a "u" ....I prefer to spell with a U

I know, that the spelling doesn't matter but I want to ask....If i spelled it with a U ....on an essay or a writing assignment of some sort....would I be counted grammatically incorrect?

Because I was thinking, Would I be counted wrong because that's not how it's spelled in the US?

I'm sorry if this comes off ignorant.

2. Ridiculous

It's color in American-English and colour in actual English :slight_smile:p).

Whether you would be picked up for spelling it 'wrong' for your region would depend on how mean the person assessing it is. However I would think most would accept either spelling.

3. MerBear

Yeah. I mean, I think colour would be the proper spelling but its just...that iprefer it to spell it that way.

I was just wondering because I dont know, My dad said that's not how we spell it Here...SO that would be incorrect somehow.

I like putting the U in colour or flavour or favourite
    even its not how its spelled in the US.....I prefer it that way. I hope that's not bad

4. Leutheria

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's correct as long as you're consistent - like, if you spell color as colour, you just have to make sure to use English spelling throughout the rest of the work. That's what I remember, anyway.

5. MerBear

Okay.
    I don't know, I was going to ask my english teacher....

I mean, its means the same thing but its spelled differently ...why should the spelling be restricted by what country your in? (IF THAT was the case)

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Color. 'Murica! :grin:

Maybe it's because I grew up around the American spelling, but the added U in words like armour, honour, etc. seems to weigh it down a bit. I know it's abstract to think about, but like one would pronounce the U in the word and make it sound a little different.

7. Vegas Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well it would just depend on your teacher. They are both correct but if your teacher's real anal he or she could mark it wrong. It's just like gray or grey they are the same depending where you are from you could use either and it would be grammatically correct.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer to spell it with a u as well...I fancy it makes me seem potentially British, which I think would be a fun thing to be.

9. MerBear

well if say colour .....it sounds as if there is a U in it anyways haha
    british or not, It seems ....more proper....if that makes sense

10. BornInTexas

I like to use the American spelling for color and armor, etc. Whenever I say colour, it sounds like CUL-OUR. Maybe that's just my redneck speaking...

But sometimes I like to write out armour, like Cortosis-weaved armour on my Sith Lord roleplaying character... :slight_smile:

11. MerBear

Armour.....I like it with a u.....i must be weird....

All my friends say i am weird for including the U
    maybe its because it goes against traditional spelling, i dont know.

hace calor ....thats what it kind of sounds like....calor...hmm

12. BornInTexas

It isn't widely used in America, but in Britain and Australia, using color and armor without the u is considered weird.

Yes, I quite like the way armour looks with a u.

13. MerBear

i prefer things that spelled with a U....like favourite, colour, ect.
    My friends.....I like things different....even its just spelling.

14. mpac21

Even though I was born in the US, I prefer "colour"..I really prefer Canadian/British/Normal English spellings over American....do not know why we have to be so different in that respect lol :astonished:

15. AlamoCity

Consistency is the key, as it's been said. Just like if you decide to use the serial comma or not, it's your choice; just make sure you're constant.

16. Ticklish Fish

ever since moving to USA, I missed spelling with a U

17. FJ Cruiser

I've been curious about whether Australian graders will be sticklers about my American spelling and grammar when I study there next semester. The differences are minor enough that I doubt many English speakers care about it either way.

18. ilovebears

I've maybe had 2-4 corrections on papers for the extra "u." I have been doing it for at least ten years.

19. Lewis

I never knew there were different spellings before I was introduced to the internet! Then I found myself alternating between color and colour...mainly because I spoke to a lot of American friends online. I even said 'mom' instead of 'mum' or 'mother' just to dispel confusion and questions.

I now restrict myself to only the British English spellings because I'd probably get my college work flagged up if I were to use 'color' or 'favorite'. I think it's stricter here in regards to using alternative spellings, possibly because it's the originating country of the English language (as far as I know anyway).

In regards to ease of typing, I prefer American spellings, so maybe that's why I used them in the past.

20. Harve

I think colour is pronounced differently (like the Spanish 'color') in some parts of America but I'm not sure: I'd need to speak to an American. On the other hand, honour is pronounced more or less the same, so the U there is purely orthographical.

I always feel a bit sorry for everywhere else when it's called 'British spelling'. It should rather be 'rest of the world spelling', since the US is the only country that has such spellings to my knowledge (I get the impression that Canada uses a mixture of the two).

Both spellings are perfectly understood/recognised so it shouldn't really matter anyway!