1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People who are better than you at everything?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does anyone know anyone like this?
    I really like my best friend, but sometimes he annoys me because he's just so good at everything he does.
    Let's start with academics. I'm not going to lie, and I don't mean to brag, but I have pretty good grades (I'm not really smart but if you spend enough time on homework you can get straight A's at pretty much any school if you have a 1600+ SAT). But he does way better. For example, in AP Chemistry, my best class, I got a 93, which was the second-highest in the class, with the third being 87 (it's a hard class), but he got 98. And in my bad classes, he's still good! In APUSH, my worst class, he still got an A. Not only that, but he pretty much swept the awards ceremony (we have math, science, language, english, history, and overall awards for every class, and he got 4 of the 6), while I got none. And he wins all sorts of competitions.
    Now, athletics. I'm a really dedicated runner, I've run since 7th grade, nonstop, and despite all my effort, I've only gotten down to a 6-minute mile (although I'm finally hitting puberty so I should be under 5:30 next year). This year, out of the blue, he decided to run a mile off of no athletic training at our all-comer meet and ran it in 5:23!
    He's more popular, and he has a girlfriend, which I don't want, but I could never get a girlfriend (I tried when I thought I was straight and failed miserable, and his girlfriend is the girl I originally asked out).
    Also, extracurriculars. Since 9th grade, I've been really dedicated in a club called JSA, which is basically a debate club. I've gone to every debate convention and contest. I've won 3 best speaker awards from over 30 times I've spoken, which is far higher than average. But he went to his first convention this spring, and he's just such a great speaker that he got 3 awards without even writing a speech beforehand!

There's really no point to this post, I'm just ranting.
    Do you have a similar situation?

2. Ticklish Fish

Instead of one guy beating me in places, I have multiple people....

I am not an athletic person so I don't give a fudge. I also didn't join athletics because I think they were too much money.

though there are people who I know were in multiple AP classes and in athletics. Sure, I admire them. Sure, some of them were cute.

But, in the end, there always will be someone better than you. Why do they do that is unknown. Maybe they had parents push them, or they have career goals planted/grown on them.

However, this is just high school. There is more to life than competition at things. You never know if people will actually have relationship troubles, honest troubles, loyalty issues, workaholism, etc.

Also, maybe your best friend had more experiences and energies into things?

Lastly, a little competition might be good motivation to study/push yourself to do well, but just don't let it wrap around yourself too hard.

3. lawRAWR

People think of me in this way...

Especially my brother.

But he understands, and I tell him, that he has his own abilities. He is better at practical things than me (I'm... academic) and that's good :grin: Everyone has their own little niche, whatever it is :grin:

4. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Yes I know lots of people like this! I just want to chop my feet off and slap them in the face with them. (harsh?)

5. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Grr, my older sister! Good job, hot husband (whom she married in a fairytale wedding) a beautiful little girl and a boy on the way, bachelor's degree and going for her master's, she is absolutely beautiful, on and on and ON, waah.

I am a highschool dropout struggling to get her GED and desperately hoping for a job at Taco Bell to help pay for some of the bills that come with transitioning. I *sigh* live with my parents, and don't have a car (I don't even have my f*cking license yet) and though I take a HUGE amount of pride in who I am and in the *awesome* community (LGBT) we belong to, I won't say that I'm not just a liiiil jelly of my sister for being cisgendered or that I'm not sometimes daunted by all the disadvantages me being trans puts me at (even though I feel it makes me a better person for facing them).

So, yeah. My sister is just one person I will always be jealous of no matter how hard I try not to be XD It's not that I am not happy for her and all that she has, I just wish she wouldn't always make a point of reminding the rest of us siblings of how much better and easier her life is :\

#5 StefaniW, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  6. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I think we might have the same best friend. It's annoying, but something to i got used to. At least he lets me copy his homework :slight_smile:

7. Bolin

*sigh* My boyfriend...on the IQ scale, he falls under the superior intellect category (which is a step below genius), he is infinitely better than me at all things physical and sports related, he's a whiz at science, he's way better than me at (most) video games, annnnnd I can't beat him in any board game that involves strategy (EVEN FUCKING CHECKERS). The only thing I have over him is English/grammar and probably Tekken. :lol: And I know much more about music than he does.

8. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

@Bolin,

That doesn't mean your boyfriend is superior to you, it means that your excel in different areas. Put simply, he is concrete, you are abstract. I would say you prolly balance out one another, perfectly :slight_smile:

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No one is best at everything, and even 'best' is subjective. No, I've always been the type to kick myself over what I can or can't do, rather than focus on what someone else excels at. If anything, seeing someone better than me at something I'm interested or talented in only motivates me to try harder to reach for my goals and maybe even surpass them, in the case of a classmate, family member, friend, etc. Perhaps you just need to differentiate yourself?

10. justjade

My husband is just great at everything. He's even better at dressing me than I am! It's sweet that he still tells me I'm amazing though. :slight_smile:

11. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I find that my best friend (still dealing with homophobia, but I am having trouble breaking it off) has a better worst relationship with me that is very odd. While he is better at the technical arts, I appear better at them(because of my verbal ability in the English language), and he at very least didn't cream me. He is universally better than me at gym and the like, aside from hockey, where I accell, which is really odd considering my frame. I am better than him at the liberal arts, music, theatre, English, philosophy and all that jazz. So I consider us equals who are very unequal. He is better than me in one group, I am better than him in one group, and I consider us equals in athletics because of how good I am at hockey. So in the end we are equals, after all.

12. Spurned

Spurned Guest

Everyone I've met is better than me. I don't mean that in a "I'm such a bad, dumb person" way, but they just are. At all my interests. English, Art, photography...

13. Minx

A lot of people irl think they're better than me, and sometimes they do make me feel inferior.

But, they're not better than me, I'm just lazier than they are. :grin:

14. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes there was once a time where I felt that people were better at everything than me. But now I believe that everybody has their area of expertise and other areas where they are lacking.

15. FreeFlow9917

To be honest, there are many people who are always going to be better than you no matter what you will accomplish. I know several people who are better than me, but i never ever let them get to me because everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I work at my pace to acconplish goals i need to establish.