1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A feminist role call

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jun 12, 2013.

?

Are you a feminist?

1. Yes, and I'm a woman

27.6%
  2. Yes, and I'm non-binary

8.6%
  3. Yes, and I'm a man

46.6%
  4. No, and I'm a woman

1.7%
  5. No, and I'm non-binary

3.4%
  6. No, and I'm a man

12.1%
  1. Hexagon

In response to the other current thread about feminism, I started wondering how many people here would describe themselves as feminists, and in particular, whether there were many men who are feminists.

2. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm an equalist, which makes me sort of a feminist.

3. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, Pret calls me a 'closet feminist' *smirks*

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm an equalist as well.

5. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Feminist/secular humanist here. :grin: Got into it because of gender issues, now it's my call to action and main cause.

6. MerBear

I mean, there shouldn't be wrong with someone being a feminist regardless of gender. if you don't like the name then okay but you don't need to make a thread about it if you know if its going to start shit.

Just my two cents
    Not going after anyone here

7. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Very reluctantly, I voted no. I am sorry. I totally agree with the others and consider myself an equalist and obviously I'm huge on women's rights and gender equality (like, duh!). But I won't identify with the modern feminist movement, I'm sorry. Not because of anything silly like disliking the name or thinking its purpose is to "dominate men" or anything like that.

For me, however, I feel as though modern feminism is for priviledged, well educated, pretty, young, straight, cisgendered White women. I feel as though women of color, transwomen, lesbians, lower income women, less educated women, etc., etc., are left out in the cold (the first two, in particular, meet with a lot of prejudice from feminists), and these are the women that need the most from the women's rights movement. Yet they are shunned because they do not represent the ideal woman in the eyes of modern feminism.

It's because of this, though I totally support Women's Rights, Women's Liberation, Gender equality, equal pay for equal work, and all the rest, I reluctantly refrain from identifying as a feminist.

#7 StefaniW, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  8. What gave me away?

9. Hexagon

I'm sorry... but your issues with feminism are the exact opposite of what modern feminism is about. Third wave feminism was created to address the problems with second wave, namely the focus on the otherwise privileged women.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a complete feminist, and won't tolerate sexism. I refuse to treat women the way society tells me to, as weak objects below my level. And I never tolerate the people who say that feminism has accomplished what it needs to, and is therefore pointless.

11. King

King Guest

This might make me sound a bit dull but what do we describe 'feminism' as?

12. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Read through and call me in the morning. :wink:
    Everyday Feminism

13. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I dunno. I just still feel like the transphobic and racist strain of feminism is still pretty much dominant within the feminist movement, particularly since most modern feminists are White, cis, etc.

Here is the article that really made me decide to distance myself from the term, as of late (I used to identify with it until I saw some of the nastier elements within it):

I am no longer a feminist | New Black Woman

I shouldn't say "modern feminism" since as you say there are MANY accepting and open newer-wave strains, but I still feel as though the old prejudices are prominent in mainstream feminism...

---------- Post added 12th Jun 2013 at 05:35 PM ----------

As I said, the term itself isn't the problem, but what many of those who identify with it believe is. And that's what I'm reluctant to identify with it, myself.

As I said, I am for all the good stuff in feminism but I'm a little turned off by that bad stuff that still plagues it.

And thanks for the link, Memphis :slight_smile: Imma check that out, now.

#13 StefaniW, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2013
  14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to identify as male, but now identify as non-binary (femme genderqueer, precisely).

I've considered myself feminist since 16, and whenever I fuck up because of my privilege (whether I consider myself "not a man" or not, I've still been socialized as one, and people see me as one), please call me out on it.

I want to further qualify that I'm a third-waver, and I have a lot of criticisms of second-wave feminism, particular the heterosexism, racism, and cissexism it has displayed in the past. (And cissexism it will continue to display until some of those petrified philosophers go the grave.)

Yes, because you're deeply closeted, brother. You'll say something really enlightened about how gender essentialism is bad, in a way that makes me think you've read a considerable amount of theory, and thne say "but I wouldn't consider myself feminist."

I hope you don't take offense. I mean it in brotherhood and good fun.

#14 Pret Allez, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  15. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not going to get into the details right now, but for now I'll just say this: Just like some don't like applying a label to their gender or sexuality, for various reasons, I don't like applying a label to my views on gender equality. If others want to do that, fine, it's none of my business, and all I ask in return is that they respect my decision to not call myself a feminist the same way I respect their decision to call themselves feminists.

16. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to say to people (usually cis-men) who think of it as "equalism", that the negative qualities people think of are usually feminine, and that masculine women are "out of place" in the minds of many, if not most. Feminism has to be called just that until femininity is no longer considered a negative quality, and that will be well after our times.

17. I agree totally! The fact that men still seem to think that being called feminine in any way is an insult is proof that we still need Feminism.
    Obviously I'm generalizing, but I believe the point stands.

18. Minx

^This. :grin:

19. Hexagon

Just out of curiosity, do our 'equalists' (who as far as I know, should be properly referred to as egalitarians) have any sort of movement? Or have you simply come to the conclusion that feminism needs to be relabelled, and you've attempted to start a trend.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't recall who said "Feminism is the radical notion that women should be treated like people." But it sums up my feelings in a nutshell, and it's surprising how well things have gone (and how many women I've befriended) by following that credo. :slight_smile:

Lex