1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reincarnation...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mickey1101, Jun 12, 2013.

1. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Now I'm it talking about the idea where u have to be reincarnated several times to reach a kind of heaven or anything but just the general concept of having many lives.I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it but this thread is really meant to just ask your opinion the subject so, what do you think?

2. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think reincarnation is possible honestly. As to what happens when you die, I have no idea, I'm still alive. And I'm not ready to find out either.

3. Epiphany101

Australia, perhaps I'll reveal more....Later. ;)
    I kind of imagine, that when we die...We get to fill in a checklist. So basically we can choose our nationality and gender and we pick a set of qualities we would have as a person (We can't have all of them) for Example- Intelligence, Close Family, Independant...That sort of thing.

4. Vegas Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Umm. Idk. I like that idea especially since my favorite author (Christopher Pike) uses it a lot in his books. I just really like the idea of knowing someone in a past life, especially romantically. Plus it goes well with Karma.

5. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I think reincarnation is a cool thought, but I don't really believe in it. I'm a Christian, so one of the core doctrines of the faith is to believe that you go to heaven and stay there I guess. I'm not a biblical scholar, so I don't really know a whole lot about that kind of stuff in relation with the bible. It seems cool though.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do not believe in it. Would not want to deal with it.

7. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People want to believe in reincarnation because no one wants to die, we like to believe there is some life afterwards. I understand these feelings, but I think we should realize them, instead of making up fake things that happen after death. I'm not casting judgment on you, I could very well be wrong.

8. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's an interesting concept. I'm Muslim, so my beliefs don't revolve around that idea. But I would love to read some books on the subject, I think it's intriguing in a way.

Although, my mother once joked that my sister and I must have been men in our previous lives, ha.

9. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hopefully not.. life is suffering.. see what I did there? Probably not, oh well..
    But no, it's as silly as believing you burn forever or live as a slave in some place of grandeur because you "believed",, after you die

10. Eric

I quite like the idea of reincarnation, but it's probably not possible.

11. BornInTexas

I wonder what types of animals my past lives were. Hopefully one was a red panda and the other was a iguana. Just so I could be happy.

I don't believe in it, but I do like reading about it. It's very interesting. :slight_smile:

12. Ridiculous

Well we are made up of the same atoms as other organisms were before us, and our lives and personalities are just a result of those atoms reacting with each other... so in a way we are reincarnated.

Although I've probably got atoms from something gross, like Queen Victoria's buttcrack sweat.

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's possible. A certain supernatural story I read posits that when a person dies, they talk with an immortal figure who says that in the universe, it's just him, and the person. Everyone who ever lived/ever will live is the same soul who is reincarnated back and forth across time. Every act of kindness and act of cruelty, they are doing to themselves for the purpose of learning. Before each rebirth, all the person's accumulated wisdom is stored away until they experience everything, and are brought up to divinity.

The conclusion made is that all of existence is an egg for a god. Pretty heavy stuff. :slight_smile:

14. Jonathan

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it ^

15. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ian Stephenson, MD Ph.D, was a psychiatrist, tenured professor, and founder of the University of Virginia's Department of Perceptual Studies. He spent more than 50 years studying stories claiming reincarnation, and was pretty meticulous in the way in which he conducted his research.

His studies, published in a number of scholarly journals and books, pointed to hundreds of cases where there appeared to be no other explanation other than reincarnation for things that children saw, said, did (ruling out parental coaching, access to television or other resources, and so forth.)

He was careful to say that he couldn't definitively prove that these were cases of reincarnation, but that the evidence supported the idea.

His work got mixed reviews from the scientific profession, with some dismissing it (as would be expected from anyone whose belief systems can't consider the possibility of life beyond death or any sort of spirituality) and others being more openminded about it. The Department of Perceptual Studies continues at UVA, and a new generation of researchers continues Dr. Stephenson's work.

Brian Weiss, MD, a Harvard-trained psychiatrist, has studied reincarnation information obtained during hypnosis sessions for 30+ years, and he also has done research to verify claims made by people under hypnosis and allegedly recalling past lives.

Both of these researchers and others have some interesting evidence in support of the concept of reincarnation, some of which is difficult to simply dismiss and toss aside.

16. Ridiculous

Occam's Razor is pretty damning in these cases.

17. TSN2012

I used to think about this a lot...but i don't think reincarnation is real. Human population has been growing exponentially. So, let's say there were 4 billion people 200 years ago, and now there are approximately 7 billion people, 'Where did the 3 billion souls come from?'

18. Spurned

Spurned Guest

I never really believed in it. I believe in the afterlife sort of thing, where some spirits are stuck in our world - maybe with a reason like to watch over someone - or they go into limbo, another world, maybe a room filled with lots of doors and they go through one and then their spirit dies in no pain. Or they go to yet another world full of the dead, but not Heaven or Hell.

I'm also not afraid of death, there's worse things I've been through. I'm quite excited for it. I sometimes think Death is a real.. well, I guess, "person", I'd love to have a conversation with him/her if so.

#18 Spurned, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2013
  19. girlunwound

At the core, I am agnostic. However I have seen and heard too many things to not believe there is something more to life than what we usually see with the naked eye. I believe reincarnation or soul transmigration is a possibility and as someone else pointed out, there has been research done on it.

Personally, I believe that the "soul" may be made up of a particle or component we don't yet really know about or understand. Science discovers new things every day and only 150 years ago no one knew radio waves existed.

I have studied "paranormal" phenomena for going on 10 years now and have a background in electronics and RF. Most anomalies are explainable but I have captured some really fascinating evidence that just blows the mind.

So while I remain skeptical to a degree, my logical mind is open to the idea that a part of us remains alive and well after our physical death, and that that part of us could potentially live on in a new physical body or elsewhere. The romantic side of me totally believes in it.

20. Hexagon

I see no reason to believe in it. I see it as uh, more possible than heaven, but still unnecessary. There is no reason to believe we have souls.