1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If anything can go wrong, it will (or already has)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jeimuzu, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Jeimuzu

Ye gods.

I'm a second year university student, and my exams are coming up soon. I have three, on the 7th, 13th, and 15th of May. I'm also going to America with CCUSA, and need to attend a lot of events regarding this.

One of these events is a meeting at the US Embassy. Three dates are available; the 13th, 15th, and 20th. My dad works in London for most of that month and offered me a lift down.

The one week he's not in London is the with containing the 20th - the only date that doesn't clash with my exams.

So, 13th and 15th are both getting in my way. Let's see what other problems I have.

Okay, I lose my position with CCUSA - and all of the £249 I've paid - if I don't attend a pre-departure meeting. They're in Belfast, Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff, Manchester and London.

Belfast, Leeds (ideal) and Nottingham (2nd choice) are all on the 7th. This means they clash with my exam. Manchester is on the 6th, which is as good as being a clash - I can't afford to fail, so I'm sure as hell not doing that. Cardiff is quite difficult to get to for me. Finally, London. That's on this coming Sunday.

I mean, can they not give me any notice at all? Jeez! This is totally ruining my week, because I just don't know what to do! All I know is that everyone on either side of this will insist that their event is more important.

In addition to this, the royal mail has made me almost miss a paperwork deadline - and people are basically acting like it's my fault. Because of this, I'm gonna have to find a fax machine, fax the details, and *then* put it all in special delivery.

Add this to the fact that I've got a massive heap of coursework, shake, and serve stressed, with a side-order of exhaustion.

2. Steam Giant

Oh, Murphy's Law. Don't worry ^^ things will start looking up soon! No kind of trend, be it comprised of positive events in your life or negative, ever lasts forever. Soon enough, things'll start to clear up, and you'll be able to breathe ^^

3. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I hate the Royal Mail (sorry any RM employees)!!! I have lost so many things.... so I am with you on that one.

I think that it's bad that you haven't been given any notice, but if there's nothing you can do about the dates, then, you have to somehow make a decision.... my bet would be to sit your exams (do these count towards your final degree? Sometimes second year ones don't), but then, that's an awful lot of money to lose and you've invested effort and time already... You have a right to be angry I think!! Look to the long term: if you think you need to sit these exams, sit them; if you think you can get away with it, ditch the one worth the least, or the one you'd do worse in anyway.

Not much help, I'm afraid - but a tricky situation!

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you just get to London on your own by train? The train system seemed pretty good in the UK when I was there. Do you need somewhere to stay overnight? Maybe your parents could spring for a relatively cheap hotel room or find a family friend for you to stay with?

5. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm in London. Can I help in any way?

6. Jeimuzu

I guess I was mistaken - it hadn't all gone wrong when I posted that.

Now it's all gone wrong.

7. Defraction

*giant cyber hug*

Sorry everything's going crappy for you... shame I can't give any decent advice, since I'm nowhere near University. ¬_¬

Perhaps you can go with whatever's the most important... maybe whatever you miss may not matter after all. Seems you'll have to pull through it all and hope you see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope everything will get better. :slight_smile:

8. Jeimuzu

No, it will matter, that's the problem. My second year exams - which count towards 20% of my final grade, and whether I get into third year at all (and no, I can't resit them, I'll be in America during resit times) - are obviously vital. However, I've already been told pretty clearly that I can't skip the other things either. Simple as that.

I think I'm going to have to go to London twice, that's the only solution I can see. It's really annoying.

I hate that place. It's too big.