1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Standing up for people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Ever failed to stand up for someone and regret it?

I would ALWAYS stand up for someone getting bullied. However, in IRL situations where there was kind of general abuse about a group of people not present, there have been times when I failed to defend that group. This would either be transgender people or women. And sometimes LGBT people as well. Heterosexual guys alone can sometimes be very sexist, unfortunately, and there is so much ignorance and hatred towards transpeople. The reason I didn't stand up for transpeople/women in these situations is because I was scared. I'm stealth, and scared that if I stand up for the right people that I'll be discovered. Maybe that stupid, I dunno. Anyway, I've decided that stealth or not, I will stand up for people.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Where they could have said something and didn't?

2. MrBrightside

Depends who is affected by whats going on. If its just bitching ill often say i disagree then not comment further, i wont stop it going on.

If its something more serious, like someone getting abuse in the street or whatever i do intervene if theres anything i can do, and if it wont make things worse. I only stand up for lgbt things to people that know im out, but often they are more cautious about offending than i am to other LGBT people. I dont mind people being derogatory if they have a valid reason. To my family i tend to go quiet and change the subject with LGBT things. I basically make it clear i dont agree by my unusual silence.

3. girlunwound

Yup. Ironically, about two years ago at work I was in a bathroom stall next to a fundamentalist Christian saleswoman who was bitching out loud to me about the so-called "bathroom bill" (trans rights legislation). And I just bit my tongue and later laughed about the fact that if she only knew...

But yeah, this is the reason I am very, very stealth. People are truly shitty to trans people. Even a lot of LGB folk are shitty to trans people. However, I must say that a LOT of trans people cause their own problems. Most trans women are batshit crazy. Not all, but most.

I don't relate to trans much anymore at all. I'm well past that point. The closest I am to LGBT at this point is L. I spent my entire life around women. Not even sure I'd know how to act like a guy even if I wanted to.

#3 girlunwound, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  4. MerBear

I can stand up for people anytime but i can never stand up for myself.

i know, its weird

5. No.
    I've always found it easy to stand up for what I thought was right, whatever the issue. I've faced off with family, friends, teachers and strangers over LGTB rights, why feminism is still necessary, FGM, bullying and racist/sexist language and about a thousand other things. I'm not scared to face off with people of its over something I believe in.

6. Spurned

Spurned Guest

I stand up for what I want to, even if it fails, I don't regret it or feel embarrassed about it because I tried my hardest at what I wanted to do and no one can take that rush I felt and that accomplishment away from me. I won't resist saying something if someone tells me something else that is against my opinion and provoking me.

I also don't like being bossed around, so school was a nightmare. I much prefer "Try doing this" or "Have you tried..?" dah dah, if teachers ASKED me to do homework and gave a few options, I probably would have done it more often than when saying "Do this or you'll get a comment in your planner." A lot of the teachers I ended up being on friend basis with, so they were more like mates than teachers and that made me feel more comfortable.

Considering that, careers in the future won't go well seeing as I always stand up for what I believe in, I'm provoked easily and I don't like being bossed about, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

7. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've always had a hard time standing up for myself. So, it's also difficult standing up for other people as well - a part of me at the time feels like it's not my business (I don't like drama, and don't like being nosy), but then I always regret and feel bad about it afterwards.

8. prism

In real life, I have no filter and often say/do things before I think about them. I've had proud moments where I've stood up for complete strangers, but I'll never forget the time that I didn't. I was in Grand Central Station with my family and these assholes were yelling at two soldiers in uniform that were just trying to get home. The soldiers were just standing there silently as these people called them murderers. I wanted so badly to defend them, but my family's presence made me second guess myself.

9. Foxface

oh yeah...I regret it a lot to be honest. It's personal so I won't go into detail but a big yes is my answer here

Foxface

10. justjade

I am just going to be honest here: I can't do it. I choke every time, or I just say something completely stupid and barely relevant.