1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you were straight..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simba29, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do you think that you would have viewed homosexuality differently? As you know many heterosexuals are repulsed or don't agree with it. Though not all straights feel the same way..many are very open about it not even repulsed by the thought, is that how you would have been ..open minded?
    Do you feel that being gay makes you look at life with a more open mind compared to if you were straight?
    I been thinking a lot lately about if our sexuality really does define how we are as people and how we interpret the world around us. Though personally the only difference I can see is our brains are wired and respond differently to what we find attractive in a mate.

2. Hexagon

I hope I'd have been openminded. I have no way of knowing, though. I wouldn't change my sexuality, I'm happy with it the way it is. And if it contributes to my politics, so be it.

3. Epiphany101

Australia, perhaps I'll reveal more....Later. ;)
    When I was younger I identified as being straight, however during this time my sister came out as being bisexual....My parents kind of ignored it, in my opinion they believed it was okay for a woman to be bisexual but not a man. She was the person who opened my mind to the possibility of there being other sexualitys. I liked it, it was strange to envision the different reactions people would have.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Due to my background (hippie mother) I donĀ“t think I would have seen homosexuality differently.

5. King

King Guest

I'd hope so. My family's accepting of homosexuality but it's not really something my siblings and I learned from our parents, my siblings are just okay with it because they have no reason not to be. So if I was straight, I'd probably feel the same as them.

It depends, really. For myself, it kind of indirectly affected how I am as a person. It's made me a little more passionate and direct in what I want from my life, since if I was straight I wouldn't have to fight for it. Since I'm gay, I've had to learn how to become kind of a "fighter" for some particular things I want, and I most likely wouldn't have the drive to pursue those things if I was straight - I'd have the desire, but not the passion behind it.

6. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I'm not the type to hate or look at people differently because they're a minority or "different". Plus I live in a pretty liberal and "gay friendly" town and most people are fine with gays.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If I had the same personality and mindset regardless of sexuality, I would probably analyze homosexuality for its "how and why" as I tend to do with most personal dynamics and let it go at that. When I was young, the first thing I over-analyzed is why certain people were snobbish and aloof and why others were down-to-earth and friendly, so I think I would just analyze it and try to figure out what it was all about.

The same logic extends to people from different places. If young and you see someone with a turban, for example, you just assume they are from another place with a different culture and leave it at that.

8. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I'd still support gay rights and marriages and bla bla bla.

9. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

If I were cis, I think I would still be accepting of LGBT people, because my sister and my uncle are gay (and me and my sister have always been MAD tight). I feel like I am an accepting person when it comes to most things, and I can't see that being any different had I been born with the right parts...

Also, for the most part my cis/straight sibs are pretty accepting of gay people, sooo.

10. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If im straight, i think id still understand, cos i have a gay brother who is my best friend so ill never hate gays even if im straight, and my mind is always open to things like that

11. I wouldn't see it exactly the same, but I would still be accepting. My family is pretty open-minded about stuff like that.

12. justjade

I used to be really homophobic in junior high, but I'm not now. I've been on both sides of the fence, and the accepting side is the one to be on. :slight_smile:

13. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I thought I was straight, I hated gays with a passion. Most of that was because I was still a Christian zealot back then. That and I thought most gay people were like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVQVLgSlFZ4

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What people "see" is generally what they believe before looking. So, more than you perhaps realize, what you believe about yourself will affect what you see.

For those of us who came out later in life, we've lived the "straight" point of view and it is in very sharp contrast to what we see now. Mostly how excluded we are with respect to the prevailing straight world.

15. TruE BlisS

TruE BlisS Guest

I have always been an open minded person so I don't believe my views would differ...Possibly our sexuality does change the way we see things. That may be because of the judgement and even hatred we at times recieve from heterosexuals. But I for one always see everyone as their own individual so I wouldn't be judgement or catorgorize anyone because of their sexuality.

16. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm pretty accepting of all other types of people, I can't imagine me not being accepting of gay people too.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm.. If it were me at the age of 7, I probably would have been okay with it, since I knew that wasn't normal, but I could empathise because of my much-mocked height. If I were 13, that's a different story. At the end of Jr High, I decided I was going to try and follow the people doing the mainstream stuff and following mainstream rules. At the time, that meant "Gay is bad" I used slurs, insults, etc. Mostly just things like "Oh, that's gay" where people didn't really pay attention to that at the time.

Then I met someone who was gay when I was in Guys and Dolls. I didn't know he was until after I last saw him, but for starters, he was RIPPED. I mean, his upper torso made Chuck Norris look like Shaggy. That was something that really followed the rules of what I like to call "PR Culture". He could also do amazing gymnastics (In fact, he went to Gymnastics after musical practice). What's more was that he was really, really sweet. My respects to him were very, very high. When I heard he was gay, I was like "Oh, well I didn't know that lol" That was my first encounter with someone LGBT, and that really put a change on my views. It didn't matter whether he liked guys, girls, rats, whatever. He was a great guy who had the respect of everyone.

During auditions for the same musical, I looked to my right and found only one other male-bodied person in the room. He was singing a really low bass, and he was really, really tall (Actually, I'm short.). My first impression was "Wow, that guy must be the straightest, most manliest guy on the face of the earth!"
    Man, was I wrong. I had suspicions when I used his pink phone upon request, and they were soon confirmed during a bus ride when everyone was trying to sleep, and overheard him come out and have a small little conversation with the person next to him. About every character he's played (including himself) has been very, very flamboyant but very, very funny at the same time, and he's very open about being gay. He's been a top character in his High School career, but nobody really cared, mostly for the fact that no matter what he did, you could always get a laugh out of him, except for if he was really being serious.

So after that, I was pretty open to LGBT people. Little did I know, it would only be about a year before I would come here out of my own confusion and curiosity.

18. smokey-knows-all

ive always been like "i don't care what you do as long as it makes you happy" so I think I'd be the same

19. Level75

I'd probably still be open-minded. I'm gay, but I'm also a racial minority. In day to day life, I'm pretty much the token minority among my current circle of friends. They don't make a big deal about it.

But every so often, some ignorant person still manages to remind me that I'm not White. At a gas station yesterday, the attendant just randomly asked me if I'm from China. Understandable mistake, given my heavy North-Eastern American accent... :rolle:

And I'm very sympathetic toward the cause of advancement of people with developmental disabilities. But I don't have to be "retarded" to know that maliciously calling someone "retarded" is wrong.

20. eatsleepclimb

I don't think so (I hope not!), I've always been into equal rights for women/children/different races. I have wondered about that though, maybe that's why we need videos like that satirical heterophobia one.