1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For those who are out now...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simba29, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Do you think that you would have had the courage to come out if you had been the age you are now back in the 40's-50's?
    I know this is totally hypothetical and how can you really know what you would have done..times were very different and we would have seen things differently compared to now. I do know that they looked at homosexuality as a mental illness back then and the word would have hardly have come out of a persons mouth! Out of fear of being one of "them" no doubt! Most gay people would have still married and probably never have come out or they would have had a very secretive affair on the side.
    It would explain why my grandparents are so ignorant about this matter and for a long time had no idea that gay people even existed!

2. King

King Guest

Assuming it wasn't tolerated than absolutely not. I wouldn't have married or had kids, though, because I wouldn't be able to consummate the marriage. If that's what you mean...

3. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Sorry I didn't clarify that properly meaning that gays would have still been in a hetero relationship and got married.

4. eatsleepclimb

Definitely not! I don't know if it would have been possible/acceptable at the time to not get married but if it was, I just would avoid marriage. I'm so glad I live now...

5. AaronMed

I definitely would. I'd feel like I was being smothered by society otherwise. Honestly, I probably would've been the guy who invented the rainbow flag :grin:.

But seriously, I think being true to yourself is more important than anything. And if people didn't like it, well, I'd have a few words for them!

6. Hexagon

I would have run away, transitioned, and lived life stealthy. But I wouldn't have come out unless I found other lgbt people.

7. No, I'm not even brave enough to do it now.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably not, unless I had money, and lived in Paris, London or New York. Then I would, though in a more limited way. But outside of that sort of scenario, it would have been a very, very difficult time.