1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annoying things about being closeted

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Paper Crane, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Paper Crane

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We were having a conversation at work about how to 'pick up', and whilst it was interesting, it annoyed me to keep having to hide the fact that I wasn't really talking about picking up men. Especially when people were saying well-meaning things such as "I'm sure you'll have all of the boys lined up" or "I'll teach you how to pick up guys". I was just kind of grimacing and being "sure, that would be great". So I was wondering if any of you had similar stories or pet peeves.

2. eatsleepclimb

I was at my summer camp once and the boys were all talking about girls but I was stuck standing with the girls listening to them talk about hot guys. I wished I could just join the boys' conversation and not have to listen forever about ryan gosling and feel really left out and uninterested, but 1. I am not out and 2. the boys would probably find it weird to be talking about girls with a girl in the conversation. Straight people really take for granted their ability to talk openly about attractiveness :frowning2:

3. wayne1983

Tell me about it, its same where i work and i generally dont say much, i dont have the same feelings has them so makes it awkward:eusa_naug

4. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

My mom is always talking about how she thinks I should get a girlfriend. Whenever I'm talking to one of my female friends, she assumes that I'm hitting on her. It's so annoying.

5. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Girls who think that being a gentleman is flirting, actually that's more of a pet peeve. Having to feign ignorance or disinterest on issues regarding the lgbt community. Having only one person to talk to about being gay because your only out to that one person. Not having enough closet space. Not being able to express yourself to the fullest for fear that someone will come to investigate the loud music, rainbows, and glitter that are pouring out of the closet.

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

For me it's just the usual shit like "you're developing into a fine young woman" and having to grit my teeth and wear the mother fucking dress. And then not being able to tell anyone what's going on when the dysphoria's at its worst.

7. lawRAWR

Oh yeah, I agree with these posts. It's just... painful being around girls that talk about guys constantly and feeling so uninterested.

8. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When your dad always ask about "girlfriends" when he doesnt have any idea i want a "boyfriend" haha!

9. Ticklish Fish

can't you just tell him it's too early to settle down because you're just getting independent? >_>

when my mom brings up girlfriend, i just go "no freaken way, i want independence after ~20 years of being with you (and my sister)" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. flight

When your friends start shipping you with other friends and they're girls. Not to mention when a teacher starts getting in on the fun. For the record, did they ship me with some guys but more as jokes.

Or, when they start shipping you with a teacher who's a guy and they don't know your gay... LOL. Found out about that one last night...

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Heterosexual men don't have many options, wardrobe-wise. There are what, three options?

Listening to casual homophobic comments from strangers, but not wanting to appear 'too' supportive or pro-LGBT.

Awkwardness whenever describing your sexual and romantic attractions, expectations, experiences, etc

Not being sure how to react when someone implies homosexuality or questions your sexuality.

Just finding others who will accept and support you unconditionally can become a major issue, especially for those of us seeking.

12. justjade

Being asked why I want to look like a boy but having to lie through my teeth because I don't think the people who ask these questions are ready to hear the truth. Even though I told my sister, she keeps hanging it over my head and calling me "girl" and "woman" because, evidently, that's what I am. Cringing every time I hear people talking about me say "she". Wanting to smack the shit out of anyone who says that trans* people are disgusting, confused, or just straight-up wrong. Oh, and my personal favorite, knowing I'm going to have to say something eventually, but not wanting to take the risk.

13. Bassplayer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My family is going to Denver today, and Denver Pridefest is going on today, and I have a license, but I am not out to them and as a result cannot tell them I'm going without my slightly more than a little homophobic dad freaking out. This is a bummer, as Pridefest looks like a blast.

14. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. In my main group of girl friends from high school, there were a few of them that were just boy crazy. Everything was about boys. No matter what we were doing or where we were, they were talking about boys. And they always loved to get dressed up, go to the beach/mall, and be "on the hunt" for cute guys who might be interested in them. It was so awkward to hang out with them a lot of times. Also, they all dress very girly while I'm a tomboy, so it makes me even more out of place.

Over the years, I've gradually stopped hanging out with them just to avoid all the awkwardness. I love my friends, but it's so tough hiding myself and getting nervous/scared whenever they'd bring up guys. The last time we went on a road trip together, one of my friends was talking about the guys at her school and she turned to me and asked, "Are there cute guys at your school?" I got so flustered and nervous, I just said "No," looked down, and starting sipping water from my cup haha. If that doesn't give away the fact that I'm gay, I don't know what will...

Freshman year of college, my new group of friends were sitting around eating lunch and talking about their "perfect man." One girl turned to me and asked, "What would be your perfect man?" Then suddenly my roommate chimed in and said, "Or woman?" :lol: I got really nervous again, and while I was thankful for my roommate giving me a perfect lead (even though she didn't know I'm gay), I couldn't bring myself to come out or make any comments. I just shook my head and said I didn't know. It would've been a great opportunity though!

15. lawRAWR

Yep. This basically explains it all :eusa_clap :lol:

16. Vegas Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah my mom is the same. Everytime I talk to a girl my mom thinks we have a thing going. It just makes me want to tell her I'm gay!!

17. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My Mom was trying to fix me up with my Brothers sister in law, who had recently become single, thank God I have now came out to her, it was doing my head in, Suzie this & Suzie that Lol

18. Adarya

Having a really homophobic and prejudice classmate that sat next to me in about five classes that I constantly had to resist yelling at. I had to listen to him make the most horrific jokes and when I went to tell him to knock it off and defend different people/ideas he was making fun of all he would say was "Why does it matter so much to you, are you gay?". The hardest thing was having to hold my tongue because I was in the closet and didn't want my friends that were sitting close by to know.

Also, I hate when family members/friends ask "Do you have a boyfriend yet? I bet they'll all be lined up for you." and stuff like that. It's irritating, especially when it's about the only thing certain family members/friends care about.

19. biggayguy

Having to pretend that gay acts are disgusting or sinful. Having to be silent or lie about your real activities. Having to pretend to ignore a particularly hunky guy. Thank goodness I'm out!

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being told by a family member of how many girls have been checking you out since your last haircut.

Not that I mind, being attracted to women, but I thought maybe someone here would find the situation amusing and relate. I'm just completely oblivious to these things.

#20 gravechild, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013