1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tell me about schools and your privacy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a question about schools - colleges and high schools.

In colleges, are the lavatories and showers in the dorms more private, with cubicles for shower stalls or are they open gang showers? I saw that some of my 1st and 2nd year friends had gang showers and I went to a place that had shower cubicles like stalls, with a small area inside in front where you put your clothes and bathroom articles. What have you seen and did it have anything to do with how old the dormitory was?

In the public schools, we had P.E. every year. I know that some people were able to get out of it after the 1st year because they participated in marching band or had a medical reason. What's the situation with P.E. nowadays? Do you have to take it every year of high school? How do some people get around it?

2. lawRAWR

I don't go to high school, as I go to a school in England. But over here, we have P.E twice every week. No one over here uses the showers at school, they used to years ago, but no one does now

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

In my college, my freshman and sophomore year dorms had a common bathroom for the floor with about 4 shower stalls, 2 across from 2, each with a curtain.

For junior year I got a major upgrade studying abroad and living in an apartment in Rome with its own shower.

For senior year I had my own bathroom in my dorm room with its own shower.

4. Adarya

I'm in High School at the moment, and it is terrible but we need to take P.E every year to get enough credits to graduate. One of the ways people can get around it (my parents are letting me do it once in my high school career) is that you could take the course online and independently, which opens up a space for electives or extra classes since you aren't taking P.E during the school day. All you have to do is keep a fitness journal, do different courses, assignments, and take tests on the computer. You do this during the school year, and it must be done by the week after school is out. I don't know how others feel about it, but to me it seems pretty efficient, especially if you need that extra space for a class that you want to take.

5. Vegas Boy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In my high school, you only have to take P.E. two years. And you could get out of it if you join a sport or something similar.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I've never lived in a dorm. I've only done anything requiring getting changed as a group at one university, as part of a volunteering program (taking disabled kids swimming). There were two pools at that university, and both of them had the usual set-up of public pools - men's room, women's room and family room. The family room has individual change rooms, while the men's and women's rooms have a communal change area.

In terms of showers, they were semi-open. Basically, they had two or three walls, with the other(s) being open.

However, caring for a disabled kid while getting changed yourself didn't allow much opportunity for privacy anyway.