1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Dress Androgynously?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cardshark, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Cardshark

Hogwarts (Mentally) Springfield (Physically)
    Lately, I've been wanting to dress in a way that people have to ask "Are you a girl or a boy?" Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am not an expert in the manner of dressing, however...

It would seem the key lies in ... well, I suppose this is self-evident, but, taking aspects of your body, and then going about looking for objects of clothing that will manipulate the certain body type to a more middle-ground gender-wise.

I know that's fairly broad. :/ I'd imagine it really will depend on your body type though. For myself, I'm fairly heavy-set, so I can use that to find clothing that more-so emphasizes the curves created by that cushion of fat. Combine that with long, but not completely "done-up" hair, and a clean-shaven face, and I've found I'll get half-and-half addressing gender-wise (some assume male, some female).

If you were a different body type, I'd imagine you would be looking to manipulate different variables - and so it goes.

I should note you'll probably find it rare to have people "have to ask." In my experience most guess in their minds, then go forward and assume one or the other, hoping they don't offend. :lol:

#2 Browncoat, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  3. Cardshark

Alright, thanks.

And about the asking, I just don't want it to be an easy guess for them, at least. :wink:

4. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would rather hope someone can give you some more specific tips, though.

*Looks about forum hoping* :slight_smile:

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Could you tell us a bit more about your body? Height? Build? Physical sex? That would make it easier to give advice.

6. nonotreally

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I guess it's about more than just clothes, it's about the whole way you present as well as the vibe you give. For example, you might want to get a men's haircut, but then also wear make up (if you're into that, you've not given much to go on but that's kind of the thing I go for). Other than that, throw out any rules you may have established about mixing traditionally male and female clothing. I used to feel a bit awkward wearing, say, a button up shirt with a feminine scarf but that's what androgyny is to me -- mixing styles. So you might go for a button up with a bow tie, some jeans (neutral), and then pair it up with some flat ballet style shoes. I'm not sure if this is what you're after though. If you were assigned female at birth then getting a masculine haircut and dressing more masculine mah suffice. But there's different types of androgyny I'd say.

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

I don't usually deliberately try to do this, but I have been mistaken for a girl on numerous occasions, I think based on how I dress, so maybe I can help? Mainly because I'm often wearing tight jeans or girls' leggings, lots of bright colors, and always carry a 'purse' on my shoulder. I'm kinda skinny and petite, and my skin is smooth and feminine rather than rough and 'manly', so when you add up all the factors together I guess that's the closest I've come to androgyny. It's not necessarily a good thing though, if you try to use a public restroom and people think you're in the wrong one. :eek:

I used to have long hair that I thought contributed to this, but it's still happened even after cutting my hair shorter, so that's not necessarily an important factor.

I don't know what you look like though, your natural features will determine how you should dress. If you look more masculine, wear feminine clothes to counterbalance that, and vice versa. Think of androgyny as the golden mean in the middle of a spectrum of Andro (Male) and Gyne (Female), try to achieve balance.

8. Cardshark

Thanks. I'm female at birth, kinda petite, medium small build, and stuff.

Thanks for the ideas! I'll definitely try it!

9. Amerigo

to be emancipated is to not be emancipated

in other words, don't follow the definitive code, instead dress how you feel :^)

10. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I know their is a gender neutral clothing line that has been put out but can not remember the name or where it is sold, if you want to do some research on it that would probably help...Or you could do what I do, buy clothing from both the men&women sections and match them how you feel comfortable.

11. Cardshark

Moskva: Hey, that's a cool saying! And, I like that idea.

Ace94: I'll look up that clothing line, and thanks for that idea. I really appreciate it.

12. Alex94

Alex94 Guest