1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Giving up seat on bus to females: right or wrong?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jun 16, 2013.

?

Is it wrong for an able-bodied man to give up his seat to an able-bodied female?

1. Yes

42 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No

54 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. AlamoCity

At school, we have several campuses there is a shuttle system that helps move students around. Sometimes during peak hours, the bus is to capacity and some people need to stand up. I always give up my seat to any female or elder. Not all guys do that and sometimes I am in the back and will go to the front and give my seat to a girl standing near the front and motion her to sit back; since I feel that she might think I might be hitting on her, I make it a point to not make eye contact again after that. Also, it amazes me how many young men don't give up seats in buses; maybe it's the way I was raised, but that's another story.

I know I asked about manners before, but I never thought about the bus situation and wanted y'alls input as to whether it's wrong to do it for any female or if it's an innocuous action.

Today I talked to my parents over dinner about this and my dad said he has always given up his seat for ladies and my mom said, "If I was a man, I would give up my seat to any female" :roflmao:.

Anyways I wanted your opinion on this.

2. BornInTexas

I do it for everyone, no matter gender. Most of the time, though, it's females who get the seat, because all the males insist on standing. I ask them once, "Would you like my seat?"

They say, "No, it's fine. Thanks, though."
    "Are you sure?"
    "Yes, I'm sure."

I don't want to seem pushy, so after that I just quit asking.

3. Ridiculous

It's condescending.

Either be willing to give up your seat to anyone or no one, don't discriminate based on gender.

4. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why does being a female make you unable to stand? If I got to the seat first I'm sitting on it.

5. KnownSecret

I would probably be with Gibson on this one. The only reason I would have a woman take my seat, is if that woman was pregnant. Pregnant women are the only thing that will ever take my seat :wink:

No man, nor woman will take my seat! (Unless its family or a pregnant woman)

6. Fiddledeedee

Give up your seat to someone old, or someone with a lot to carry, or someone who is pregnant/carrying a small child, or someone who otherwise needs it. "Female" is not such a category. If you would like to help out people without a need for it, then good on you, and help out males and females alike.

Not that I do much giving up of seats now, since I'm usually that person in the wheelchair space. Hmpf, wheelchairs on buses are tricky.

7. Hexagon

I give up my seat to anyone who needs it more that I do - children, pregnant people, disabled people or elderly people. I don't discriminate based on gender. Women are as capable of standing as men are.

8. evora

I know I'm female but here's what I think.
    I usually don't, especially if it's one of those pushy old women who would literally push me over to be able to get on the bus first. Especially not when the bus is so full that it would be difficult to more around.

Although if I see a nice old lady and there aren't any seats left, I'll offer her mine. Or to small children. Or just generally old people but it's been a while since I had to give up my seat.

But I can tell you this. If a thirty or forty year old man offered me his seat, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking it. Not that it ever happened to me before, and probably won't either.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's these 'who goes first through the door' kind of situations that keep happening to me. A lot of old men are old fashioned, not that I have a problem with it but it's always very amusing. Because I'm thinking he's old so he should go first but then I'm a woman so he insists.:rolle::slight_smile:

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would do so if she's elderly, handicapped, pregnant, or has reduced functioning of some kind, and all the seats designated for those with such challenges are already taken. Otherwise, I would point them to those seats.

10. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I wouldn't call it wrong, just polite.

11. AlamoCity

:roflmao:

I suppose, in a way, I am the product of different generations and regional cultures. I was born in 1990 to parents born on the 50s to grandparents born in the 10s and 20s, in the Southern US.

12. RainSprite

Out Status:
    Not out at all

This is what I do, basically to anyone that I find think needs it more. I'm a woman and I would find it strange if a man tried to give up his seat for me for the sole reason that I'm a woman.

13. Incognito10

I would only give up my seat to someone who appeared not able-bodied. Isn't it like saying women are the weaker sex if men imply they can't/shouldn't be standing? I was on a crowded subway and a bunch of able-bodied appearing people got on and did not offer up my seat.

14. Split Arrows

When I rode the bus regularly, I would give up my seat to women. I was also raised to hold doors for women, open car doors, walk to the outside, etc.

I don't think it's wrong. It's just "what you do".

15. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The act itself isn't right or wrong, but the motivation behind your actions can be.

16. caughtbywitness

Not sure the poll question is phrased right, it should be 'Should a man give it up to a woman' My answer is no, really. I know people may say it's just manners, but I know a lot of females who say people who do that make them feel inferior (well, most of them /are/ feminists). I would give my seat up generally I guess, to anyone, especially those with prams/disabilities/the elderly. Most of that is just manners, regardless of gender.

17. Rae

Rae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I give it up to people who need it, not based on gender, though I more often meet women than men who need it, because of pregnancy or having to keep control over children. When men do things for me because I'm a "woman" (not out of the closet as trans) I get annoyed. Then I hold the door for them or lift the heavy stuff they can't, and hope they get annoyed XP.

Part of this annoyance is caused by me being trans.

18. FruitFly

I actually think it depends on how you've been raised and your thoughts developed. I do not think it's wrong, and I do not mind when someone offers, but I invoke my right to refuse the seat offer and insist he keeps sitting down. I've always been taught it's polite to give your seat up to someone else, especially if you do not actually have a need to sit down.

19. Night Rain

It's not wrong. It's plain stupid that it's considered the right thing to do.

#19 Night Rain, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  20. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't recommend giving up your seat for someone just because they're a woman.

On the other hand, I would really like people to give up their seats to me because I have balance issues. It seems odd to me that people can't tell, when I keep swaying and clinging desperately to the bars, but it seems like they really can't, and I don't know how to ask politely.