1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti Day of Silence Activities

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perrygay, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

All of my friends and I are having a Day of Silence "group", and a lot of other people in my school are going to be participating as well.

However, one jerkoff got the brilliant idea to have "Straight Pride Day." I've heard of this happening to other schools that opted to have their Day of Silence last week, but I was hoping that it wouldn't come to my school. But it did, and they all made stickers, posters, and shirts to try and overshadow our Day of Silence.

Anyone want to share advice/stories on how to handle this?

2. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I'm happy to hear that you and your friends are doing that.

but wtf is with those jerkoffs?

Sadly, I don't think you can stop them, everyone has a right to their opinion, but that means EVERYONE. If they want to speak out against it, they can.

^Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

But to handle it? just keep doing it. So they protest it...and? Don't let that stop you. Do it and show them that they can't and won't stop you.

3. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    For Day of Silence you have to silence your mouth, not your fists :wink:
    jk but fer real, there isn't a whole lot you can do. Just keep your chin up and have pride in being who you are and don't let them get you down

4. ignore them, unless they are trying to get people to talk who are being silent. I mean if they could co-exsist peacefully and respecting eachother isn't it what we're striving for anyways?

5. Brett

There is also another day that takes place the Monday after the Day of Silence, called the day of truth. On this day, people, mostly evangilists, go around preaching out about how gay children are taking over schools and disrupting the curriculum.
    As far as dealing with these things go, I would recomend just ignoring them, and walking away if a person tries to talk bad to you.....just avoid the conflict.

6. Nerdtendo

...Well...if they have SILENCE in bold letters, and the rest in small print, just hope that maby someone will think they are participating in the Day of Silence deal. ...far stretch if they talk a lot, but thats really all you can do.

7. pirateninja

I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. If we're allowed to be public in our pride for ourselves, then we shouldn't disallow others that same right. Yes, I do know that straight people don't NEED to express pride in themselves as they are not the oppressed minority. BUT don't show them that they are getting to you. Just say something clever like "Woah, you feel the need to show pride in your sexuality? Jesus, when did it get so bad for the straights?" or something. If they are deliberately trying to get to you, then the worst thing you can do is show them that they have. They'll eventually get bored.

8. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

My school would be suspending anyone that participates in a Straight Pride Day. My school made a Respect Policy to benefit anyone (most especially the lgbt group) from harassment and bullying from any homophobes.

9. Tim

Tim

Same, in fact, they explicitly mentioned anyone bullying or harassing someone participating will get an immediate suspension, which may lead to an expulsion.

If this had happened, they would immediately remove them from the campus. There were a few gay bashes that took place on the campus in past years...

10. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would simply do not give them any attention what-so-ever. Do not speak with them. Do not look at them. Period.

11. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

That sounds like a plan. The big day is tomorrow, I'm just hoping everything will go as smoothly as possible.

12. lostinthought9

good luck! :slight_smile:

13. Brett

OMG! I can't wait for it! This is like better than Christmas! All of my friedn are pretty much against me doing it though.....

14. Zūn Jìng

Zūn Jìng Guest

Same! Except for the girls. I go some of them to do it too:grin: Except theres a slight problem I have to talk or else I won't know what to do when we're rehearsing for the musical any advice?:help:

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    There are going to be instances where you are going to have to talk. You will have to talk in class if your teachers ask you to.

16. Not in my school ^.^
    Some of our teachers do it too,
    I feel so behind since everyone else has already done it.

17. Nibbles

Nibbles Guest

I was bored once and was looking up quotes about homosexuality (like the one I have as my sig). Relevant to this, Rob Nash once said:

"I get sick of listening to straight people complain about, "Well, hey, we don't have a heterosexual-pride day, why do you need a gay-pride day?" I remember when I was a kid I'd always ask my mom: "Why don't we have a Kid's Day? We have a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, but why don't we have a Kid's Day?" My mom would always say, "Every day is Kid's Day." To all those heterosexuals that bitch about gay pride, I say the same thing: Every day is heterosexual-pride day! Can't you people enjoy your banquet and not piss on those of us enjoying our crumbs over here in the corner?"