1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story/Monologue Ideas?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by clarkec1, Jun 16, 2013.

1. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I have been encouraged to write a story because my Dad thinks that I could write a good one. But I'm stuck for ideas.

In English in school we are writing a story, monologue or any other creative piece of writing with inspiration from a poem from the AQA Anthology. I did a draft of it and it was 750 words, and the word limit is 600-800, but you can't actually write a piece of writing that could potentially be released of that length. I literally wrote all of my ideas and everything I wanted to write about, which was a good enough length for our C.A, but not enough for a book.

I only want to write a short piece of writing, but I was thinking I could carry on from what I was writing in school, but I can't think of any more ideas.

What should I write about?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe a short story of a couple pages or so expanding on the little bit you wrote? I agree that 800 words is a microscopic limit.

It would help would-be advice givers to know the topic, though. What was your assignment about?

3. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

It is about a woman that lost her memory.

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I disagree that you can't get that published. Short stories, in my experience, are a lot easier to get published than novels. Check into whether there are any contests going on to collect stories for an anthology. Especially at your age - a lot of writing contests are aimed at young people hoping to encourage them to get into writing.

5. Hexagon

So... you're looking to write a novel? Me too. I had a rather obsessive day, and I wrote about 6000 words. And I'm not quite finished yet :slight_smile:

I don't think you should write what someone else tells you to. Finishing a long story can be difficult, and if its not 'from the heart' or whatever they say, you'll struggle. Write about people, find a world and conflict for them, and then write the character's stories. And write so that you can identify with the characters, but don't confine them to your experiences.

Hope that helps. There's no reason why you can't expand the story you've already written, of course.

6. Shasta

Out Status:
    Some people
    Write what you feel is right. I am going through the same thing. My mom wants to right a story about a little girl who went to heaven, but I am not going to. I feel she is using my writing to validate herself. So also wants me to write what right. You write what you feel is write. I will let others tell me what write with the exception of constructive feedback. For example, showing me grammar and word choice errors, etc

7. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A light drizzle fell as Tara left the hospital. She'd spent the last six weeks recovering from a hit and run accident which left her mountain bike twisted and broken and her with no memory. The only reason she wasn't listed as a Jane Doe at the hospital was luckily EMT's had found her wallet at the scene of the accident. Other than that, she had no memory of who she was or what had happened to her.

It was a surreal feeling walking into an apartment she didn't recognize yet seeing photographs of a young woman with her face sitting next to stone temple on a mountainside. Things got even stranger when she walked into her the bedroom and began to hear a knocking sound coming from a dresser drawer. Part of her was saying this should be scaring the crap out of me but then a gentle female voice sounded in her ear saying... "Everything is going to be okay."

Inside the drawer was a large oval cut moonstone wrapped and attached to a leather cord. As Tara reached for the stone it leaped into her palm. Once the stone contacted her flesh a blinding white light seared through her mind. Finding herself sitting on the floor that same voice came to her again... "Now we begin."

#7 KarenLyn, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016