1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definition of Nerd?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    There was recently a thread about being a gay nerd, and it made me think about the definition of nerd.
    It used to be that a nerd was someone who cared about school. I'm by no means very smart, but I'm different from lots of my classmates in that I actually care about school, and I enjoy science classes (though I hatehatehate humanities). I was mercilessly taunted for being such a "nerd" and wished I had the ability to not care about school so much.

Now, on the internet, and also in real life, people are BRAGGING about being nerds. It's totally foreign to me. And yet when I try to take my place in this group, I find out that I'm excluded! I don't know anything about freaking Doctor Who because I'm too busy studying to watch TV obsessively! A question might be something like, "What did the eighth doctor say to Fred in the seventh line of the episode 'Doctor Who loses his medical license'?" (I don't know Doctor Who very well). So I'll ask these people when they became nerds, and they'll say they've always been nerds, even when I distinctly recall them picking on me for being such a nerd.

This feels unfair to me. I suffered through an unpopular title, and when I find my title has become a good thing and try to cash in on it, I learn that people have changed its definition.
    Does anyone else feel like this?

2. Munyal

I define a nerd as someone who is smart but not on say, a computer or with technology. That is a geek. That might just be me. Someone who cares about school is a person who cares about school to me.

3. George

Yeah there is definitely a distinction between a nerd and a geek, although sometimes the lines between them are blurred. A nerd is usually someone who focuses on their academics and strives to be the best in the class. A geek tends to have obsessions with activities that often are atypical of mainstream society, and often have a cult following. Examples are trading card games, comic books, certain board games, certain movies, etc. It turns out that many nerds are geeks and vice versa.

Also, one of the big defining characteristics of this group has completely vanished over the last 10-15 years. In the year 2000 if you spent a large amount of time on the computer/internet you were likely considered a nerd/geek. This was before "Web 2.0" which transformed the internet's focus into its modern social networking status. Now it is not only acceptable to use the internet excessively - it is actually seen as weird if you don't use it much. Even the athletes and "cool" guys are on facebook/twitter all the time.

So to be a "nerd/geek" in 2013 I think computers are mostly out of the picture - it has to be some other defining characteristic like the examples listed above.

4. Ellesar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think a nerd necessarily has to be smart, it's really a lot more about their interests. Comic books, sci fi, anime, LARPing, board games (such as DnD), video games (and no I'm not talking CoD or Battlefield, I'm talking like Warcraft and Final Fantasy), and just stuff that's not necessarily mainstream are all indicators of a nerd. For instance I can easily tell you kadeshiswarmer's avatar is HK-47, the personal assassination droid belonging to Darth Revan in Knights of the old Republic, and later found and reassembled by Meetra Surik, the Jedi Exile in KotoR 2(2 of my favorite games ever). Also the cat in his sig is an obvious reference to Mass Effect 2.

Wanting to succeed in school is a trait often associated with nerds, however the two are not mutually exclusive (you can want to succeed in school and not be a nerd, and you can be a nerd without wanting to succeed in school).

5. Colours

I don't even really have an answer to this question lol. I do know, though, that 'nerd' doesn't have to be offensive at all. I think I'll mostly use the word when talking about someone who does really well in school and I suppose it's a certain style as well.

I know people who are good with computers or on their computer a lot, but I wouldn't classify them as nerds per se.

6. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I'd say someone who is not necessarily naturally clever, but someone who has worked out be clever, and takes an interest and passion in learning, even if they hate it.

7. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    nerds are clever, while geeks don't nessacry have to be

8. AlamoCity

[​IMG]

I found this Venn diagram that might help clarify things.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [​IMG]

This about sums up the indignation nerds feel about people who claim the title, and yet are popular.

10. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't view nerd as a negative. They can vary from being out of the loop to being sloppy in a devil may care sort of way. They might have the thick rimmed glasses but still look ok.

Geek or dork are negative, to me. They imply an unpleasant appearance.

Studious types are just studious. The studious look can be good. Also, nerds, geeks and dorks aren't always smart.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The parameters of the definition are set in inherently open intervals. (As is a necessity in a society that appears bound to redefine subjective perception of "reality" as said society moves through time). :thumbsup:

:lol:

#11 Browncoat, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  12. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Problem solved, discussion over. For future reference, I am a nerd.

13. starfish

[YOUTUBE]Ir3v5yDk9Ws[/YOUTUBE]

One think I don't like is that the nerd community seems to just be a bunch of guys into anime and video games. I'd say that is just one subset of a larger group.

14. MerBear

i was called a dork. That's not bad is it?

15. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    OH MY GOD you are the best most perfectest person ever and I love you forever and I am stealing this and putting it on Facebook and GAHHHHHH this is so perfect I am in love with this picture.

16. This whole nerd revolution thing pisses me off. Like really pisses me off.

I know someone who can barely read who calls himself a nerd because he likes the Avengers. The geek section of pinterest is over-run with the STUPIDEST things.

I have always been a nerd.

I am smart. I read math and programming books because I love it. I read a lot and excel in math and science. I can build my own computer, I play video games, can be awkward because I don't understand jokes that reference pop culture, and I can get obsessive about things. Yes, I like Doctor Who, but I don't spend my time memorizing it so I can prove I am some superfan. I love the BBC Sherlock because I have read the books and like the style. I was a LOTR fan LONG before it became hip and have no issue waiting hours in line for things like Harry Potter books, movie tickets, and such. I am a nerd.

This whole fake nerd revolution is from shows like Big Bang Theory. I love that show, but it made being a nerd cool. I've always thought it was awesome, but now it is hip. People dress all stupid and think they are nerdy for reading a few books, but if you ask them about Zelda or mention anything that is truly nerdy, they split. They are hipsters...not nerds.

Funny story...I have been stopped by hipsters and asked the things I find cool. They took notes so they could go and look up everything I said and like it before it got really cool. Not joking.

Okay. I'm done. The nerd thing just really gets to me.

I love that picture of Bane btw...I wish there was one that was more relevant to nerd girls. I suppose as a lesbian, it will do.

17. Thaliondae

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's clear you're not a Whovian, as a true Doctor Who fan would not ask questions about the 8th Doctor. Many don't even acknowledge him as the Doctor.

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2013 at 03:56 AM ----------

And to answer your question, a nerd might make the sort of comment like the one above.

18. Just Jess

HERETIC!

It's true that most of us don't like the movie Fox made. That 8th doctor was hated by fans, and the research clearly wasn't there.

BUT.

The 8th Doctor in the COMIC BOOKS was made out of win. Seriously, some of the best Dr Who you will ever come across. Well worth the money even if you don't like comics.

And both the comic book series and movie were worked into the continuity. You even see pictures of the 8th doctor in some flashbacks showing previous regenerations. And his "half human" comment became cannon too when he was identified as human in a retinal scan...

... oh I'm doing that thing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. biggayguy

Nerd pretenders just annoy me. Do they play chess? Have they actually read LOTR all the way through? Do they know the bridge crews from any or all the Star Trek series? That would be a starting point for being a nerd.

20. Oh chess!! I forgot chess!