1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have squishes!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ettina, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aromantic Aardvark

"Anonymous asked: So you probably have already addressed this at some point..but I'm going to ask anyway. I don't get this "squish" thing. Your FAQ defines it as "an non-romantic equivalent of a crush." But....I don't get what crushes are either, so this isn't particularly helpful. I never had the faintest clue what people were talking about. How does a "squish" differ from wanting to be friends with somebody?

Well, a squish IS basically wanting to be friends with somebody. But the difference is that a squish is typically a bit more intense than that. Have you ever seen somebody you just really, really wanted to be friends with, so much you became kind of obsessed about it and wanted to impress them in any way you could? That’s a squish. Squishes can vary from “wow, they’re so cool, I wouldn’t mind being their friend” all the way up to “I AM TOTALLY PLATONICALLY IN LOVE WITH YOU”. It just depends!"

Wow, there's a name for it! I've felt this feeling a lot. This was the feeling that I used to mistake for sexual attraction (and then panic about pedophilia since I often feel this way about children much younger than me).

Sometimes it feels like my heart is bursting when I'm near them because the love for them is so intense.

It's so neat to find out there's a name for it!

2. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Haha, lolz, I am a straight girl (heterosexual, and either hetero or possibly bi romantic) but I get "squishes" on other girls aaall the time. It's always like "I just want to make her laugh and smile and be her beest friend but am not remotely attracted to her physically or romantically". I just had a big one, and now I miss her soo much :'(

I always knew it wasn't remotely sexual or romantic, but something else. Never got one on a guy before......

That's funny, though, it is so cool to discover this new term, cuz I was never quite sure what to make of this :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 StefaniW, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2013
  3. destiny99

destiny99 Guest

That's so weird...I get this all the time! And it even has a name...cool!