1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multilanguage People UNITE

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Candace, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Candace

I have a question for the EC community.

What languages do you speak? AND which ones would you like to learn?

For me:

English (native), French/Spanish (fluent), Portuguese/Italian (proficient)

If you're wondering, yes I can understand both the European and the "American" versions of these.

I want to learn:

German, Polish, Greek, Catalan, Russian

2. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome, I'd love to learn Russian as well!

For me Arabic (native) English (Fluent) French (Fluent) German (Pretty decent, though not fluent)

I'd love to learn Persian, Russian, Italian (I tried once, it didn't end well) and of course Spanish.

3. AlamoCity

As I mentioned in your earlier thread, I speak fluent Spanish and English, and very rusty French. I'd like to get back and learn French fluently and then maybe learn Italian or Portuguese.

I actually learned Spanish first and then English (all before I was 8) so my mastery of both is very good. One of the only problems is that when I speak English, I sound like a Southerner with a Spanish twang (or vice versa) and in Spanish I have a slight "gringo" accent, albeit with perfect grammar, and I cannot roll my r's to save my life.

4. Candace

C'est chouette! As-tu un problème avec les accents quebecois? mdr..j'aimerais changer mon accent...soupire...

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Since joining EC, I was pleasantly surprised to find several other 'language people' discussing their interests with enthusiasm. You seem to be one of the many polyglots, while Rakkaus is more of a linguist. I'm a bit of both, but definitely have my phases of being knee deep in one or the other. At the moment, I'm preparing to start my journey yet again, though I haven't quite decided on which language, exactly.

I usually reach an intermediate or conversational level with them, get bored, and move on to another, while retaining the basics and important linguistic distinctions to compare and contrast with others. For those like Latin or Old English, the interest is purely theoretical and there's no desire to carry on a conversation in either, unless it contributes to my research directly.

English (100% native speaker)
    Spanish (receptive bilingual, can understand anything, but fluency goes up and down with exposure or lack of)
    Hmong (reached intermediate levels in less than a year)
    French, Russian, and Lao (beginner phrases)

There are others I've barely scratched the surface of, meaning a few days of skimming through pronunciation guides, phrases, and orthography, but remember *nothing* of today: Navajo, Portuguese, German, Swedish, Dutch, Czech, Hungarian, Greek, Arabic, Tagalog, Vietnamese, and Mandarin Chinese come to mind.

Chances are, the next language I decide to go at is either going to be one of those from the beginner phrase level aka unfinished business, or something totally random, but not entirely unrelated to one of those I've scratched the surface of, like Polish, Korean, or Farsi. Again, total fluency is *not* my goal, as that requires tremendous amounts of time and effort, and those aren't requirements for my journey(s).

And now I just realized I probably sound like either a complete freak or elitist snob, maybe both. :rolle:

6. evora

I speak Hungarian and English.

I'll be learning Croatian soon.

I'd love to learn German, Swedish, Dutch, French, Spanish, Hindi, Arabic and Russian. Realistically, I hope to learn German some day.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: And Croatian, of course.

I've studied German in school for about ten years and I know nothing of it now, or at least not as much as I'd like to. That's why I'm a bit desperate to learn it before I die.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UGHHH Je deteste cette accent! Je ne pas comprends un mot. Je suis desole, mais l'accent au Quebec es ne pas tres facile..

8. Fiddledeedee

I've learnt some German and would like to become fluent, though sadly I won't be continuing it in school next year. I'm still able to work on a rough translation of Tanz der Vampire, though! (It's a very successful German musical which is not available in English; nobody liked the Broadway remake.)

9. Candace

C'est l'accent que j'ai u_u :icon_sad:. J'avais visité Paris pour la première fois et toute le monde et ses chiens pouvait m'entendre. On rigolera à mon accent, neanmoins....

J'ai cette capacité pour changer mon accent, car je sais pour un fait qu'on a les problèmes avec ça. Quand je parle avec toi et les autres....le français "parisien"...avec ma maman....quebecois toujours mdr :lol:

---------- Post added 17th Jun 2013 at 10:21 AM ----------

Hungarian I hear is like SUPER HARD!! It's not related to any language family that surrounds it...which is strange.

So you could converse with Zsa Zsa Gabor...awesome! Hungarian's one of those language in which no one here would be able to understand what I'd say if I spoke it here :grin:

#9 Candace, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  10. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

I speak English as my first language, ed io parlato un piccolo Italiano a una seconda lingua. That was prolly really bad and really butchered - I know the phonetics (pronunciations) *really* really well, and some vocab, but my grammar is a hopeless, epic fail, so yeah, my sentences sometimes come out as total and complete gibberish (at least I didn't use a translator).

#10 StefaniW, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  11. Candace

Parlo un piccolo italiano come la mia seconda lingua. ^^

Italian is easier than you think :slight_smile:

I don't think it was bad at all! Just keep trying :slight_smile:

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^So are you Latino? From your username, I would have guessed either Venezuelan, Cuban, or Puerto Rican.

13. Ikke

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dutch (native), English (fluent) and I'm currently studying German and French (which is not going so well). I speak and understand a little German, but close to no French at all.
    I would like to know Chinese and sign language (if that counts as a language)

14. Candace

Does Dutch make German easier at all?

I was thinking of maybe doing the opposite, and learning Dutch once I know German.

15. Ikke

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wouldn't bother trying Dutch. It's my native language, and I still sometimes don't understand shit about it.

16. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

Thank you for the correction. I have a tendancy to just take the words I know and arrange them as I would in English XD I have been learning the language on and off for quite some time now, and so my vocabulary has just naturally increased and I have the pronunciations *totally* down pat (seriously, I can say any sentence like a native from practicing for hours on end, with the help of YouTube videos and Disney songs sung in Italian).

I seriously need to just buy an Italian grammar book one of these days, park my rear, and study XD

17. BrokenWings

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

#17 BrokenWings, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  18. evora

It's definitely a weird language compared to some of the others.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Ikke

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, yes and no. You already kind of get the accent, and some words. But even though the grammar is a lot more systematic, it's also a lot more. The Dutch pretty much just do whatever sounds right.
    I think it would help you to know some German when learning Dutch, but it could also really confuse you, because it's alike, but also really different sometimes.

20. StefaniW

StefaniW Guest

You have to learn Romanian and then you will know ALL of the children of the Latin language (minus dialects, of course, which can obviously be like they're own languages).