1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to go to pride?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gazza123, Jun 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Hey

So before I continue I just want to say that I'm sorry if I offend anyone who goes to pride or has been but I just wanna get my view and point across.

So is going to pride necessary for all LGBT people?

I don't wanna go...

I was going to go to the one near me this year but I have decided not to. I don't want to, I don't think I would feel comfortable going and well I'm proud of me so why do I need to go to pride to prove anything.

I don't want to go by myself which is what I would be doing if I went. It just seems all flashy and garish and in ya face that I just couldn't take it.

I'm fine with my life. Sure I'd like a few more friends and maybe a BF but who cares, it's not the be all and end all of everything. Not that I was expecting to meeting a guy at pride but chances would be a lot higher than they are now.

Anyways I'm getting side tracked....

So do I need to go to pride? I know some people go and have a blast but I just think I would be too self conscious and just wouldn't enjoy it

2. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
  3. Zannan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, there's no rulebook saying you have to go. You don't have to.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, nothing says you have to, at all. I live right by where it happens, and some years I go, but it can get a bit flashy and garish, after a point. Sometimes, I like that, other times, I'm just not in the mood for it.

You can be still be gay and proud without going to pride, or being flashy and garish.

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to go if you don't want to. Some people just don't like going, and that's fine. I don't think there's any rules about going to pride in the gay handbook, either ;P

6. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think you're using the right gay handbook. Look in Section 12, Article E.

7. Hefiel

I think it's safe to say that not all gays go to pride parades, and there's really nothing wrong with that.

Personally I'll be going to the pride parade in Montreal by myself (unless something shows up, but unlikely). I'm not going there to be "proud" or anything like that. Pride nowadays is an event hosted by LGBT, but is open to anybody of all ages and groups (families, straight, gay, lesbian, transgender, etc). It's a colourful event with music and dance, and I'm curious to see one with my own eyes. In my case it's also a bit of an attempt to go out and interact with people, since I lack social skills and am uncomfortable around people.

GayGod from Youtube recently posted this video he recorded at the LA Pride.
    [YOUTUBE]2hZC2WfJXgw[/YOUTUBE]

#7 Hefiel, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  8. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

Yeah. As I thought

I mean I got a pride wristband but that's as far as I'm willing to go with it

9. God no, pride is the last thing I want to go to. It just does not appeal to me, the closest I ever came to going to one is when I got cornered by one coming out of a book shop. (That was a little nerve racking.)

10. photoguy93

You don't have to do anything you don't want to.

I think I'm going to a pride next weekend in a city that I trust...but I definitely am nervous.
    I think it's something I want to do because I just want to see for myself. I'm so prim and proper .... So I might stick out, but here's the thing - it's the one place where I won't be the only gay person. So that's partly why I'm okay with it. So don't feel bad...but if the right time comes, then go!

11. justjade

Well, fuck, if it was manditory, I'd be in trouble. I don't even think they have one anywhere near where I live.

12. girlunwound

I go almost every year, but usually it's to harass the Bible thumpers and/or volunteer at a booth.

13. Minx

No, you don't have to go to pride. ^-^

If you're like me and don't enjoy crowds, I'd suggest attending some morning events when there aren't any large crowds around yet. That is if you're ever interested in going for just an hour or so - just wanting a calm short experience.

I haven't really been fond of big gatherings since I was little. :grin:

14. sagebrush

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was initially reluctant and anxious to go to Pride for a lot of the same reasons you mentioned, but I talked myself into going anyway so I wouldn't feel regrets later. I mostly sat in the grassy shade and people-watched, quietly taking in the sights and sounds. It was a chance to "just be" among a community of people like me (&&&), and my self-consciousness actually faded away pretty quickly. Although I didn't meet anyone, I had a pleasant enough time and left when I had my fill of excitement and entertainment. I'm glad I went...

15. snfu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  16. smokey-knows-all

of course you don't have to go to pride. not every lgbt person goes to pride and going alone certainly is kinda awkward XD

17. starfish

I am going to say yes, but not for the reason that you might think.

You clearly have some desire to go. However some sort of anxiety is making you not want to. So you are looking for validation in your decision not to go.

I say you should go. Push your comfort zone a bit. Go have some fun and enjoy the music and the half naked boys.

18. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't plan to.. ever

19. MixedNutz

You don't. It's a personal thing. I went 2 years ago, then don't go and I'm going back this year. It's not for everyone and it doesn't mean anything less of you in the LGBT community.

However I think others make good points. I do believe that everyone should go at least once. If its only nervousness that holds you back, push through it and go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.