1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exactly how risky are mobile dating apps?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by whereisthelove, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Yesterday I created a profile on a mobile gay social app (I think you know which one; starts with a G). I was shocked to see how many people were so close to where I live! But more importantly, within an hour I had 4 new chat requests and I got a little intimidated. While it's flattering to see there are attractive interested guys in my hometown, I can't help but worry about my safety with chatting and meeting up with someone. Of course it's always a good idea to be cautious with meeting people online. But I am just wondering what others experiences with this app has been and how you would feel about meeting up with someone you met on a gay social app.

2. photoguy93

I'm not going to lecture you because I am on certain sites (none that show locations...but I get it.)

I think that we all need to be open and honest about SAFETY. my best advice is that you remain safe about who you talk with. Follow safety precautions (get pics, Skype, meet in public...) look, anyone can be bad...it just happens more bad is on those sites. Just be safe!

3. Amerigo

define 'gay social app' :grin:

well i think it depends whether you're looking to expand your social circle/make long-term gay friends, or just do gay guys near you. i'm not hear to judge, but like any socialmediappsocialnetworksocial thing, the main purpose is not to be very social at all (imo). the one you speak of seems to be notorious for serving one particular purpose. having said that, when in rome eh. just meet up in well lit areas with people around, have fun! :slight_smile:

(to try and answer your question more directly, i don't think there are differences between guarantees of safety amongst the varying dating apps. like you say, 'it's always a good idea to be cautious with meeting people online.')

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well if you really want to meet guys, just be careful and use common sense.

Talk to someone for a decent amount of time before meeting, ask questions, get to know them. It may be a good idea to talk with them over Skype video chat so you can be sure the person in the profile pic is actually who he says he is. There are a lot of fake profiles on those apps (especially the crappy one I think you are talking about) with old creeps using fake pictures and profiles to lure in naive younger guys.

And if you do meet someone, meet in a public place, like maybe for a date at a coffee shop, not at his apartment.

I've met with numerous guys on mobile dating apps, it can be fun, but always have exit strategies in case things go south. There are some crazy people out there. Always be alert and aware unless you've gotten to know someone really well and can really trust him.

5. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Definitely meet in public the first time.

6. ok455

I agree meet in public is the best thing i met tons of people from facebook and i always do the lunch thing and a stroll around the mall. Like others say use common sense and make sure your in a local area so you can exit if things go bad.

But the G app the guys are there are either picky about looks or they want a hookup if you can meet a decent guy on there that would be nice.