1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suits?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Krilky, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How many suits do you own?
    I personally own one. But even though I think suits are epic (Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock wearing a suit makes me hungry), I can't pull it off. I'm too short. So instead of the average person having a sport coat and pants be half-and-half, the sport coat goes down too far, and I look like a four year-old wearing his dad's clothes.

2. justjade

I have the same problems with suits. That's why I currently don't have one. I'm 5'4" with short arms, so nothing ever fits right. I'd love to have one, though. They just look so damn sharp!

3. KnownSecret

I own 1 suit from when I was a lot younger! Haha other then that one I have no other suit. I look average in a suit, I'm just too skinny IMO to really wear it and look sharp.

4. AlamoCity

Have you tried a suit in a "short" version. Suit jackets have two general measurements, the chest, as in like a 40, and the length, as in short, regular, and tall. I am 5'9 and use a 40 Regular. My dad is 5'5 and uses a 40 Short.

I own a good quality suit (charcoal gray Zegna that I got on sale), and a cheaper "regular" suit for less important events (still, it's 100% wool; never buy a polyester suit). I want to get a seersucker suit because I love how they look and they're good for 90-100 degree Fahrenheit weather.

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one, plus a few dress pants, waistcoats and blazers.

6. Hexagon

I have a curious desire to burn mine, but yes, I have one. I absolutely loathe formalwear.

7. Linthras

Linthras Guest

None, because of this:
    So uncomfortable.

8. biggayguy

I have two sport coats that I mix and match with dress slacks. they're mostly for weddings and funerals.

#8 biggayguy, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  9. Split Arrows

I have two. One traditional navy blue, silk, Italian cut with white pinstripes that I wear with my Bacco Bucci loafers (yes, feel free to be jealous). The other is a "Scottish tuxedo". I do love to get all snazzed up, because I think I look damn good in a suit!

You got that right!

#9 Split Arrows, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  10. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When i read the title, i was thinking about the show "suits", i was about to comment that Patrick Adams is cute. Lol sorry for the off topic

Well i own 1 to 2, dont remember cos i dont really wear suits.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have one that I wear maybe twice a year to school dances... I hate formal dances o3o

12. justjade

Thanks for the advice, dude. I totally agree: Never buy a polyester suit. They get to looking cheap fast, if they don't straight off the rack.

I've always wondered this even though I do it: Why is it that the bottom button of the suit is always unbuttoned? I know it's s rule or something, but why is that? And what do you do with a single-button jacket at that point? I know that generally, a suit with two buttons on the jacket is the way to go, but I was just curious.

13. Bolin

I own no less than 10 suits, probably more.

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Zero.

I did have one once that was a thrift shop buy on 99 cent clearance day. I got it thinking I might have use for it one day. One day never arrived. While going through clothes, I decided it just wasn't worth holding onto for "someday." Particularly since the suit was not particularly good. It was wool, but the assembly had slight issues that I could see, plus an overall dated look. So it went out the door to a thrift shop, albeit a different shop. It may well make the cycle of all the thrift shops in the metropolitan area of my Undisclosed Location.

It's also worth noting that my part of the world tends to be pretty casual, and one can probably get by with a lot less formal level of clothing for an event than might be the case elsewhere. Add to the fact that the groups I'm most likely to deal with are probably going to be the most casual. For example, the church I've attended recently (but don't belong to) has an amazingly casual dress code. I think I even saw the husband of the minister appear wearing jeans.

15. wayne1983

I dont have a 'suit' but i do go out in all white denim jeans and jacket or waist coat, a cross between justin bieber and 1980s fashion:thumbsup:

White Denim Jackets for Men

16. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have 2 suits for special occasions :slight_smile:

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate polyester, period. Except, maybe, for swim suits. For some reason, I'm thinking a local swim suit store pushed polyester as more durable or something.

Although...sometimes one does have to tolerate polyester. I sometimes, in a weak moment, cave and buy clothes that are...different. While I haven't gone this far yet, I could see myself buying a Pure 70s suit if it were to cross my path at a Weak Thrift Shop Moment. Such a suit might well be polyester.

18. leer

two i only put them on for work got them from primark so quite cheep also i dress formal i look better in formal .

19. AlamoCity

Off of memory (it may be urban legend), there was a fat English king who couldn't button his jacket all the way and left his bottom button unbuttoned. All his subjects followed suit, so as to not be the off one out, and it came to be a sartorial rule.

Most men look good in 1 or 2 button jackets. If you're especially tall, it may make sense to buy a 3 or 4 button suit. As a rule, thanks to my dad's many lessons since he wears a suit to work daily, is: 1) button suit up when you're up and about (except for the bottom one, unless of course it's a one button jacket), 2) when you sit down, unbutton jacket, 3) re-button jacket when you stand up.

I know it's sexist, but I was taught that, if you're sitting down and a lady walks into a room, you stand up, button your jacket, then greet her.

Hope it helps!

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have four. I need to get more though, as everything formal I go to can't be in the same four suits.