1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Atheism vs. Agnosticism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Alexander

Disclaimer: I'm not asking if any one belief is better, and I'm not asking for a comparison of atheism to christianity or any other theism. I'm avoiding that topic specifically. Please do that as well if you respond. Thanks :grin:

my question:
    Is there a fundamental difference between atheism and agnosticism that makes them unique/seperate from the other, or is agnosticism just a branch of atheism? If you call yourself an atheist or agnostic (or a nihilist or a anti-theist or a determinist), why did you choose that label?

#1 Alexander, Apr 24, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. sdc91

Well, atheism is a belief that a supreme being does not exist. Period.

Agnosticism is the belief that there is a supreme being, but it's not the god of Abraham/any other god. There's just something out there.

Technically agnosticism could be a religion, while atheism is a belief.

I call myself agnostic, because while I believe in evolution and the whole shebang, I don't know how the universe started. I don't exactly support the idea that there's a supreme being out there, but I don't deny possibility of the existence of one, either. At least not until everything is figured out.

On bad days, I'm an atheist. Hehe.

3. pirateninja

Atheist is complete, firm, unwavering belief in that there is no God of any form.

Agnosticism is openess to the ideas of religion, but not completely convinced by religion.

Again I class myself as agnostic. I don't truly "believe", in the Judeo-Christian or any other religious senses, but I still don't think that we can just be here just 'cause. I like to think everything happens for a reason.

4. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Atheism is the lack of any belief whatsoever in the supernatural, i.e. God, gods, fairies et al.

Agnosticism is the belief that neither the existence nor the non-existence of God/gods can be proven.

I am of course an atheist as well as an anti-theist.

5. Ty

Ty Guest

Im an Atheist, and it annoys me when people class it as a religion =/ I have no beleif in a God or any of that malarky, so therefore its not a religion.

A question I pose is what is the difference between a religion and a cult?

6. pirateninja

What I see it as is that anyone can believe in a God and be free to say "I belive in God, I believe in Jesus, I am a Christian" and not be forced to pay fees.

Scientology on the other hand, forces people to pay before members can actually call themselves scientologists.

That is how I see it anyway.

7. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only difference between a religion and a cult is a few hundred thousand members.

8. Alexander

In a broad sense, atheism does share a common belief (that there is no god or it is very unlikely that there is one) while deity-based belief systems also share the same general idea that there is a god/gods or it's very unlikely that there isn't one or more..... The only difference I see between the two is that the core basis is reversed?

All the atheists I've talked to said that if a god/gods revealed themselves then they would accept the belief in that god/gods - same as agnostics... so is it just a technicality to call yourself agnostic?

#8 Alexander, Apr 24, 2008
  9. Ty

Ty Guest

religion |riˈlijən|
    noun
    the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods : ideas about the relationship between science and religion.

As defined, atheism lacks whats needed to be classed as a religion :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Alexander

That definition was probably invented by atheists :grin:

11. Ty

Ty Guest

The Oxford dictionary :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I think that agnostics are the only ones who don't always necessarily have a concrete belief, or choose to withold judgement on whether there is or is not a God. ie, I see theism and atheism as similar, as they are certainties, but agnostics as different, because judgement is withheld.

(I might possibly put agnostics who say that it is impossible to know in the same category as theists and atheists, as there is a degree of certainty of belief there; but agnostics who say *I* don't know, I put in a separate category. Although not sure, never really thought about it...)

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What you describe as agnosticism is deism. The belief that there is a supreme being somewhere out there, but not necessarily the ones described by common religions. Agnosticism is the neutral stance - no one can be sure if there are or are not gods.

I'm also often forced to point out the two branches of atheism. Strong atheism is the conscious objection or rejection to traditional beliefs in gods - the affirmation that there are none. Weak atheism is simply the lack of belief - all children are born as weak atheists. They do not have a belief in a god, but they do not reject one either.

I am atheist BECAUSE I am agnostic. I do not know enough about the universe to make a definitive claim one way or the other, I may be wrong and there may be a Xenu floating out there in space, but I live my life without the presence of religion because I have yet to be convinced that it would be wiser to do otherwise.

EDIT: Might as well add that I'm not a "militant atheist" nor am I staunchly anti-theist, but I do defend my rights and I do think there are many negative sides to organized religion - namely the forced indoctrination of children, the promise of eternal torment if they disobey, and the extreme intolerance towards minorities from certain branches of religious organizations.

#13 Wander, Apr 24, 2008
  14. davo-man

I'm agnostic, because I believe that no mortal man can know know what went on in creating the planets, universe etc etc and who did it...or in fact whether someone/thing did or whether we were created by accident

15. Grof142007

exactly the way i would have put it but better

16. davo-man

I might be wrong, but I thought that agnosticism was a uncertaintanty of whether there was or was not a higher being. Like a person that's open to there being one, but not absolutely certain there is one.

17. Rette

I would argue that atheists don't believe in the non-existance of god, so much as they don't have any belief that a god exists. That's a subtle but important difference.