1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General substance-user-dating-poll

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jun 18, 2013.

?

Would you date someone who uses any of these substances responsibly?

1. Alcohol

83.1%
  2. Cigarettes

39.8%
  3. Soft, but generally illegal drugs like marijuana

36.1%
  4. Harder drugs

10.8%
  5. I wouldn't date any of these

15.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hexagon

Yeah so I was wondering what the stats would be for people dating substance users, based on different categories of substance. Keep in mind that I'm talking about users, and not abusers. Dating someone who is abusing a substance to the point of destroying their life is a very different matter to dating someone who uses something casually.

2. Harve

I know a huge variety of people that have taken hard drugs, soft drugs and drink regularly, so it's impossible to generalise or rule somebody out just because of that. For the latter two, in my mind it's very unlikely to be a problem unless it's to an extreme level, anyway. I know I don't like the smell of smoke, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't date a smoker.

3. girlunwound

I'm amazed at how many people are accepting of alcohol over other things. I guess maybe I'm sensitive about it since I don't (can't) drink and my current situation is rather difficult at times due to alcohol abuse.

4. Fugs

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alcohol and light drugs are fine with me, I kinda want to experiment myself. Smoking grosses me out a bit but it's not something I'd think is break-up worthy. Hard drugs are something I won't touch though.

5. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'll never drink alcohol or do drugs simply because many of my relatives are addicted to alcohol and many of the other poll options, and I know I'll get addicted if I ever try alcohol.

I guess I'd be OK with alcohol, because I won't find many people who don't use it, and also because it doesn't smell like cigarettes and marijuana do and doesn't kill you as effectively as lots of hard drugs and cigarettes do.

6. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I would be willing to go out with someone who every once in a blue moon drinks alcohol, but I don't think I could do it if they drank on a regular basis (especially around me -- the smell of it makes me sick). The other drugs are all deal-breakers.

7. Hefiel

Alcohol is a non-issue for me, provided that it's done in moderation. Personally I don't drink, but I wouldn't have an issue with a partner that drink.

I wouldn't have a partner that smoked cigarettes or light drugs, but I don't mind being friends with people who do since friends don't require the same amount of "physical interaction" as a partner. Most of my friends who did smoke cigarettes or weed were generally respectful with me otherwise (like making sure the smoke didn't come in my direction when they were smoking with the group, since it makes me cough really bad).

Hard drugs is a huge NO for me though. Mostly because there's just too many bad effects associated with them. I'm all for legalization of marijuana since it's a light drug and actually has benefits (plus there hasn't been a case of OD), but for the other drugs (especially chemical ones) I don't want any near me or my partner.

8. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Alcohol:Yeah
    Cigarettes: No, that leads to lunch cancer
    Soft: Sure
    Hard: NO.

9. BornInTexas

I don't drink alcohol or smoke anything of any kind. Mostly because of personal reasons, but if a future partner drank responsibly and not every night or every weekend, I think I would be okay with it.

Smoking is tolerable, I guess. I live with both of my parents who smoke heavily in the house, and it causes me to cough and my asthma gets bad for as long as I am exposed to that wretched smoke, but I guess it's manageable provided he smokes outside or on the deck.

Anything else is no, sadly.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With regard to alcohol, it depends on the definition of "responsibly." If "responsibly" is a glass of wine with dinner once in a while, then yes. If "responsibly" is getting tipsy or drunk, even occasionally, the answer would be no. Any of the others, any use would be a no from me.

11. catatonie

It depends on where you draw the line on responsibility. I don't think there's really a way to be responsible with some drugs, unless somehow you're only doing meth once a year. Use vs abuse is a slippery slope, because I've had people in my life who can function as serious addicts (speaking specifically about hard drugs but it's applicable to alcohol as well), still support themselves and be involved with their families to a degree, but having known them when they were sober-er, I have to say it's a disappointing difference. My partner did "use irresponsibly" for a while in that it negatively affected him financially, socially, emotionally, etc. but it wasn't anything I left him for because it was a product of him dealing with other issues, and I've had the experiences to deal with that.

I know a lot of people can't handle that, and it doesn't make them bad for it. The strain of drug and alcohol abuse can seriously strain the (presumably) sober partner, and some do have trauma related to the abuses from parents and other family.

Shaming people to the point of dehumanization due to what they decide to do on the other hand, is fucked up and cruel :slight_smile: It seems to be a trend lately and it really aggravates me when I hear it/read it.

12. Hun

Hun

Only alcohol, and that means getting tipsy at most. I wouldn't date a drunk.

13. castle walls

I'm the same way. I can handle it if the person I'm dating has wine or champagne at weddings or other special occasions but I'm not really interested in being with someone that drinks more than that. With the exception of alcohol used for cooking, I don't want alcohol in my house.

As for any of the other drugs on the list, those are absolute deal breakers

14. justjade

Alcohol and cigarettes are the only things I could put up with. My ex was big on synthetic marijuana substitutes, and he was so irresponsible and intolerable. Hard drugs are a deal breaker for me.

15. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't see an issue with pot or cigarettes, only that they make my asthma flare up a bit, so he'd have to smoke outside :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I'd only object to hard drugs. Like heroin, cocaine, etc

16. The username

I wouldn't mind someone that drinks (on occasion).
    But I for some reason I view other drugs negatively and would not tolerate it.

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Alcohol: Sure, if in moderation
    Marijuana: Again, if in moderation
    Other light drugs: So long that they weren't defining traits, their life
    Hard drugs, ie cocaine, heroin, methamphetamine: Get yourself to rehab first

If they abused prescription or had other unhealthy and risky habits or addictions, I would also keep my distance.

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Alcohol: Yes, if they're responsible and drink in moderation.
    Cigarettes: This is just a turn off for me. I hate cigarette smoke.
    Light drugs (pot, other): As long as they don't let them control their life, or do them around me.
    Hard drugs (cocaine, heroin, etc.): Nope

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lunch cancer? :lol:

I would date someone who drinks alcohol in moderation (I intend to drink when I'm older, and I enjoy wine now, which I drink a small glass of on special occasions), but none of the others. Alcohol doesn't cause harm unless abused, whereas the others do in even small amounts.

20. Harve

What's irresponsible about getting occasionally tipsy? Not necessarily a rhetorical question.