1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Gayer" after coming out?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Diego89, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Diego89

Hi guys, I was just wondering if any of you have noticed that some straight acting gay guys become a little effeminate after coming out.

I'm not saying they become a flamboyant queen overnight but its like they start acting a little "gayer" (for lack of a more suitable word)

I dunno if this is because they were trying to play it straight and suddenly they feel free to be themselves, or it just happens.

I consider myself a straight acting gay guy and most people wouldn't be able to tell, but I have also been told by some that once in a while and in certain moments I act a little gay-like. Could this be my gayness trying to emerge? Haha.

What do you think?

2. Hefiel

I think you found the answer by yourself. I think it has a lot to do with being able to "freely express yourself". I'm straight-acting as well, but I've definitively notice certain "mannerism" since coming out that were otherwise nonexistent prior to that.

3. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not by leaps and bounds, but there are some changes in behavior if the baseline was REALLY masculine to begin with. Like buying a very small dog.

4. King

King Guest

Before I was out to my siblings I referred to my taste in music as "pop/rock" because I thought the rock made me seem more straight.

Now half of my conversations with them consist of lyrics from various girl groups so needless to say that charade is up.

It's mainly just that once somebody comes out they're more free to be themselves, as you said. So they don't need to keep up the "straight-acting" idea.

5. TimTomC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, its def because before hand they had to hide them true selves, they aren't more gay then before, they're just less fake then before.

6. Martjain

Yes indeed you have answered yourself, I, after coming out, have been able to act more gay around my friends, and I'm pretty much straight acting, but I'm able to say things or act in certain ways I wouldn't have been able to if I hadn't came out.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Amazing, just amazing, at how guarded men can be about revealing their tastes in music if there is anything in that list that would be construed as less than masculine.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've noticed gay men tend to smile a *lot* more than straight men, both on EC and elsewhere. That creeped me out at first, I'll admit, but have come to see it as normal... no societal double standards with men expressing emotions outside of anger, lust, or jealousy. Men able to be themselves around other men without worrying over coming off as gay or having their manhood threatened (male ego and privilege still exist, unfortunately).

For myself, I think I've become more open to diversifying my wardrobe, taste in music, choice of media and literature... I'm also not so focused on fitting into other people's molds and worrying over not always having a girlfriend or being obsessed with sports or cars (there are many non-straight men and women who are into these things, though).

Nothing extreme, but even these changes could be considered a part of my 'rainbow phase'. It's liberating, yet also odd, seeing straight guys making 'no homo' jokes with one another and being so touchy with how they're perceived by the rest of the boys.

9. josh9623

10. Candace

I guess so, since I don't have to "act straight" anymore. I can be more liberated and listen to Disney movie tunes, Blondie, Lady Gaga, and like guys like Anderson Davis :3 without pretending...

11. Diego89

Lol, I suppose I'll suffer Gay-itis eventually then, hopefully not to that extent :lol:

12. Yeah, being a little gayer after coming out is the result of finally being able to be ourselves.

13. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still don't understand the obsession with pop star divas, Glee, or One Direction... might never. *shrugs*

14. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Kinda happened to me, even though I didn't come out to anybody, I've started acting a bit "gayer" as you'd say naturally. And when I came out to two people, I've caught myself acting just a touch more gay.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had to think for a moment. I can't think of many tightly wound straight guys who would approach a new person or group of people with a smile or laugh easily. How sad. Add that one to the list of "non-masculine" traits I possess. On two occasions in my life, people I had befriended told me that I came up to them with a smile on my face, as if it was something to remark about. Maybe I was in a good mood or was felt good about making their acquaintance. And I've done this for people, regardless of gender. Is this really another criteria?

16. Hefiel

It is a rather odd cultural thing which I don't really understand either. I guess pop musics makes "good" music to dance to at clubs and a good portion of the LGBT community are found in bars and clubs? Or that they are simply more open to music that an otherwise heteronormative society would "frown upon" for not being "manly enough"?

For example, this song by Cher.
    [YOUTUBE]5Uu3kCEEc98[/YOUTUBE]

Would the majority of straight guys who likes this song admit it if they felt that it wouldn't make them look manly enough? Whereas gay guys could dance to it all night. :lol:

Note: Ha! The song is a bit catchy...curse me for looking it up. :bang:
    Note 2 : Cher has a weird power...damn you Cher!
    Note 3: Why can't I stop pressing the replay button... :bang:
    [​IMG]

#16 Hefiel, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not as afraid to show my feminine side anymore now at school.

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I express emotion a lot more than before. And I now am also very into cuddles (with everyone). I am also happier, but I think that it's all freshly-out-of-the-closet euphoria that'll wear off in a year or so.

19. Tim

Tim

I've been told this happened with me, but meh.

It's mostly because I hid a lot of my interests because I was afraid of coming out. I didn't tell anyone my favorite color was pink. I came out... 5 years ago? And my mom only started accepting the fact I like pink like a year ago. Lol.

20. Aviale

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know the fact that if I come out I wouldn't be any more 'gayer' or 'straighter' in acting.

Also, I hate the term 'straight acting'/'gay acting'. The correct terms should be 'masculine' and/or 'feminine' acting. Being masculine doesn't own heterosexuality (when it comes to a male).

And what is it with these gays here being into girly pop music (ahem...profile pics) and pink color in here? Am I the only one who is into masculine stuff just a little? Not that I'm discriminating, I just feel alone in here.:icon_wink