1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay/Bi Population

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simba29, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What percentage of the population do you think consists of gay and bi-sexuals? You usually hear it's around 10%...but a recent study said it was only 1-3%! Which I thought seemed too low! That study was probably done by a homophobe. :dry:

2. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

It is at very least 3.5%, and at very most 15%. It is probably around 8% or so.

3. Hefiel

LGBT in the US was estimated by gallup poll to be around 3%, however it's safe to assume that the number is much higher than that, so between 5% to 10%

4. Fiddledeedee

I've seen estimates at anything between 1% and 10%. 1% is consistently shown as too low, and 10% usually uses a loose definition of "gay/bi". 3% to 5% is consistent and reasonable. It often seems estimated at around 3%, but some folks answering as straight when they're not is to be expected.

5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For exclusive Kinsey 6s, I'd say 4% looks reasonable. That's 1 in 25 people.

6. Miz Purple

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i always so 10 because there are still alot of people in the closet that have not come out that we dont know about so id always rounf up.

7. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^
    It's harder to compute when you include bisexuals, because of the way they would choose to identify when sampled. Actually, the same could be said of gay and lesbian folks who might check off hetero on a questionnaire. With bisexuals, the figure of 4% probably doubles, so 8% isn't such a minority in the end. Those are just my hunches.

Also, certain cities and states have larger GLBT populations, making you think a figure like 4% is just plain wrong. In those areas, it is. However, in rural areas or conservative states, the figure might be lower because if people are able to move out to breathe a little freer, they will.

Really interesting link on wiki with information on a lot of cities and areas in the U.S. and "by city" is the most interesting part. The higher percentages are not in the largest cities:

LGBT demographics of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. evora

I'd like to believe it's 10% because if the statistics say 5-8% then it's probably a bit higher but I don't know. Because that would mean if I went to a school of 800, there would have been 80 gay students. And there weren't. Or that would mean there are at least 5000 gay people in this town and there can't be that many! I'd be surprised if that number was anywhere above 100-200. It probably depends on where you live. (San Francisco/etc. vs small town)
    I might have got this question wrong. I'm sorry if I did. Did you mean the probability of being born gay?

9. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since a lot of people are in the closet, it is just impossible to know.
    Maybe it's actually 30% or more (maybe not gay but at least bi).

10. Night Rain

Um, what's the difference?

Because of how these statistics work, they can only give an estimation. Of course there are areas where there are more gay people, and there are places where gay people will not live if given the choice. The problem with polls is that people can lie. I'd say it's usually higher than what the statistics say, because people may not realise they're gay or are in denial, or just lie for privacy purposes. I still think many bi men/women identify as straight to avoid social pressure (and that's why I don't know anyone who identifies as bi). From what I notice, it has always been around 10% for me. When I was in middle school, there were ~30 guys in my class, and I can definitely tell that at least 4 of them are gay now. The same goes for every other class of mine. Adding the bi folks in, I think it should be 15-20% at least.

How do you know there weren't?
    Why? It could be that they're hiding it, or that you haven't asked. That's the reason there's a need to "come out".

11. biggayguy

What about swingers? They usually identify as hetero but often cross over for the thrill of trying something new.

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just for the heck of it, take out your high school yearbook, if it's a class of 150, 200, or even 300. Then, go through it and, based on contact over time, like reunions or through social media, where someone's family is on display and they are into their married type hobbies, or even based on perceptions and information back then, do a rough estimate, and you'd probably get 4 to 8%. In a regular suburb, it won't be a third of the class. That's unrealistic. This isn't scientific, but just a quick study.

13. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it's true that many people who take these polls are either in the closet or it would depend which part of the world you live in. I'm sure there are some areas where the population of LGBT are very minimal and other places as someone previously mentioned it would be much higher.
    I'm also not talking about the percentage in one country just in case some of you might be thinking that..I mean around the globe. Just another question has anyone taken one of these surveys before? I certainly haven't and all the gays and lesbians I know haven't either. I can't help but think these polls are very inaccurate and I do think the percentage is more between 10-20%.

14. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

Here is a relevant wikipedia article that you all might find interesting.

15. TheUglyBarnacle

I go with the 10% theory. There are people closeted to others and people closeted to themselves. Therefore studies can't be very accurate.

16. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It's interesting how the statistics show how homosexual feelings and behavior have dropped significantly over the past 20 years. You would think it'll be the opposite as society is supposedly more open and accepting of the gay community and more people are out. Though again I take it like a pinch of salt, it seems the survey is gearing towards certain groups and there are still millions of people worldwide who have never participated in these surveys!
    As far as the sexual side of it maybe since the AIDS crisis during the 80's maybe this has made people more cautious about practicing safe anal sex....I don't know I could be incorrect.
    Again this is focused on the US..there is life outside this country! :icon_wink

17. SchwulIstCool

Dans mes rêves de New York et des blazers...
    :eek: Please please please please please be 30% o.o then I may actually have a chance of finding someone ^^

I should imagine it lies around 5%ish. If it were 1%, that'd mean only 600,000 people in the entire of the UK were gay. And that depresses me ever so. But if it were 5%, then it would be more like 3,000,000 which sounds more likely, and less depressing for me! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Although if you take America, that means there must be at least 15,000,000 gay people, maybe I should move there (and 90,000,000 in China o.o).

18. evora

That's what I'm hoping for tool!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I still don't know how many lesbians there are.:frowning2: 10% would be brilliant but who knows. I know I probably wouldn't answer honestly if asked about my sexuality.
    Although, after today I'm a bit more hopeful about finding someone, at some point. I actually saw a lesbian couple at Tesco! They had their hands around each other and no one even noticed! That made me so happy (and hopeful)!:icon_bigg

19. FruitFly

Sexuality is a difficult thing to quantify owing to truthfulness of responses, how people identify and knowledge of non-heterosexual orientations. It is entirely plausible that unless you know the right questions and understand the culture surrounding certain individuals you'll unknowingly skew the results of any participant based research. There are issues with the various methodologies employed when investigating rates of minority sexual orientations, and these are issues that are rife in the social sciences.

It's like polls/questionnaires/whatever into drinking habits; they suffer significantly from both people who are motivated to answer and those who modify their answers so that their responses are more socially acceptable. I'm always far more interested in the statistics behind the percentages, to see what additional information was requested from respondents to identify trends in the background of individuals who actually respond/participate. There are all sorts of ways in which researchs can extrapolate the results, but it is tricky to do when questionnaires are largely based on Western perspectives which do not necessarily translate well across the world.

#19 FruitFly, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  20. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I've seen studies ranging from 1% to 20% depending on the exact questions and population studied. I think the 3-4% is probably the safest bet at this point if you're trying to figure out what the odds of meeting other LBGTQ are, but I don't think this necessarily represents the real rate of non-heterosexuality and non-cisgenderism.