1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What To Expect at Pride

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Femmeme, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Femmeme

I wanted to start this thread because I see a LOT of posts expressing nervousness about Pride, some are even down right aggressively ANTI Pride, most often by people who haven't gone. I know Pride events aren't for everyone, but I thought those of us who have been or regularly go to Pride could share our experiences.

The first thing I want to say is that if you don't live in a major city it likely doesn't look ANYTHING like what you've seen on the news.

The Pride event in my town (a mid-sized southern/Midwestern city) is super family friendly. I've taken my kid for the last 3 years. We watch jugglers and eat cotton candy and there are tons of children running around with their parents laughing and playing. I've yet to see any half naked people or scary drag queens.

There ARE drag queens but they've all been fully dressed, polite and both respectful and excited to see parents and kids at the festival. There is also always a booth of Leather Men, but they are also polite and respectful.

Now at night (after the kids have left to stay with babysitters and grandparents) things get a little wilder, but it's nothing you wouldn't see in an average dance club.

For the most part it's happy, friendly people who are just enjoying spending time in LGBTQ community.

So, anyone else want to share what your local Pride is like?

2. Hefiel

I've yet to go to a Pride (it's in August in Montreal).

With that said, a youtuber posted this video of the LA Pride Parade 2013. Should give members a fair view of what to expect. There was nothing outrageous there. (Seeing half-naked men is hardly a worry, there's plenty at the beach anyway)

[YOUTUBE]2hZC2WfJXgw[/YOUTUBE]

3. LetMeBeThatIAm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for creating this thread. I'm considering going to PRIDE in my (relatively) small-mid-sized southern city. It'd be great to know what to actually expect! I'll admit, I have a few reservations, too. Anyone else with experiences, please post!

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been to a couple different Pride festivals, and can say:

At least with the ones I went to, its going to depend on the size of the city/town.
    Larger cities, expect large crowds (especially on parade day)...but to me those crowds are not intimidating (and thats coming from someone who's shy)
    Smaller cities, there won't be the large crowds, and basically seems more laid back atmosphere

In general (at any), yeah you'll probably see drag queens, and/or skimpily dressed people...but they are by far the minority. You'll see allot of people just dressed normally :slight_smile:

----
    I'll try to remember to post a few pics later on from the one I went to in Denver CO last weekend