1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unwanted attention from straight girls?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by shamrockmut93, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Some girls seem to think that I’m interested in them just because I show them common courtesy, like I do with everyone else. It’s as if they don’t even see my neutral attitude towards them, all they seem to care about is that I fall into the category of guys that they happen to be attracted to and they won’t stop hinting at me that they like me, and I try to ignore it as much as I can without being rude. There was even this one girl on facebook who would chat request me almost every time I was logged in, and I almost blocked her before she admitted full on that she liked me. All I said to that was there was someone who I was involved with, which was a complete lie but I couldn’t tell her I was gay for other reasons. She stopped harassing me after that. So, is this really a common gay guy problem? I mean, I don't know if I can even really call it a problem, it's just annoying more than anything. Any thoughts?

2. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think this is more of a "nice person problem" then gay guys in particular. People being nice to one another seems to be a dwindling thing, so whenever people are treated nicely, they see it as flirtatious or attractive. I've had it happen to me, and I've had friends (male and female) who've had it happen to them. People just like nice people! :slight_smile:

3. Good point, someone told me something along those lines when I had a problem with a girl who tried to grind me at a party once lol I felt bad about just leaving her there, but that tide changed pretty quickly.

4. Diego89

It's happened to me before and it is really annoying. Some girls (people in general) are not used to be treated nicely and when you have the most insignificant nice gesture towards them they get the wrong idea and they are suddenly all over you. I suppose it also doesn't help my inability to say no, its just so hard for me sometimes :bang:

5. I feel your pain, I used to feel so frustrated when that happened to me while I was still in the closet. It made me super aware of how unfair the world is, like a girl can hit on anyone she wants, and a guy can kind of get away with it too to an extent, but a gay man has to be so careful about that kind of thing, it could even be dangerous if it's at the wrong time or place.

6. melbournian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Quite annoying, they seem to never get the past the fact you're gay and suddenly after 2 seconds after saying you are you are apparently her "best friend". It seems like I've been categorised and stereotyped by those cheap chick flicks that always have those "best gay friend" and suddenly when I'm asked to go shopping (i have literally NO IDEA about fashion) they start to criticize me for not helping them and not knowing what to pick?!

7. Keegan24

Soooo true, girls really do get the wrong idea when I smile at them or just ask them how they are.
    Like seriously do straight guys glare and not speak to them or something??? Gosh its called being polite!

8. Candace

It's not annoying for me, but it does make me feel bad inside. I've gotten compliments on the clothes I wear and my hair (my hair is quite smooth to the touch)...le sigh...

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am only annoyed by it if they aren't interesting to me, either in personality or looks, are needy for a man, and are assertive. If they just indicate they find you likable or attractive, that's fine. The times it happens this way, they have a husband or a boyfriend anyway, so it's not a problem.