1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Career Choice

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Randy, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do y'all plan to do with the rest of your lives? (in respect to careers lol) and what made you want to do that?

I'll start:

I want to be a educator for high school-ers. I've always known I wanted to teach, I just did not know what I wanted to teach nor the grade level until I got to 8th grade. At that point, I fell in love with Mathematics and loved it all throughout high school so I decided that's what I want to teach. I'm on my way to achieving this :grin: I'm enrolled at University of North Texas with a major in mathematics and a minor in secondary education and rehabilitation studies.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I want to work somewhere in television production. I'm currently attending college and majoring in electronic media sports production. So, I'm hoping that I can get a job in television news or other sorts of live broadcasts (like sports, awards shows, speeches and other things along those lines).

3. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm majoring in communication (PR concentration) and political science.

I want to get into teaching at the college level, which is going to require me to attend grad school. I want to work in politics at some point, too. For me, I just can't picture myself working at the same job for thirty straight years, and that's why I really like the flexibility of a comm degree.

Also, props to you for wanting to be a high school teacher. Don't think I could deal with being a high school teacher, considering the many piss poor schools in this country right now.

#3 Mike92, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. john1b1

john1b1 Guest

I'll be majoring in Computer Science, but I would really like to get a doctorate and teach at a university instead of simply coding for a company.

5. AlamoCity

I'm getting a bachelor's in economics, maybe getting an MBA, and either working for the the government in some capacity (have a concentration in science so I'd like to do emergency management or public health planning) or work in management for a corporation.

6. Hudson

I'm 23, hold my BS, and currently working on my Masters/Graduates. I've worked full time since I was 15, and absolutely love working.

Career-wise, however, I'm fairly set. I'm a Vice President of a major international banking corporation, and I plan on retiring in the banking industry. Why did I choose it?

Well, banking is stable, safe, and very interesting. I handle a wide facet of work, and it has some consistent properties, as well as dynamic properties.

To me, banking is one of the most interesting fields out there - at least, the exec management level (not like Teller or Personal Banker - I respect them, but that wouldn't be the gig for me).

... and the pay is very, very good. That's part of it, too, lol.

7. Rexmond

I want to work as a vet, but it probably isn't going to happen because of the high requirements needed grade-wise, which I probably won't meet. I also would like to be a writer, but I doubt that's going to be a profession of mine anytime soon lol. I wouldn't mind working in say a pet store or something. I did for work experience, and even if it isn't the best pay, the experience was amazing!

8. Jonathan

Right now I'm aiming for middle school math teacher. I'm majoring in Elementary Education with a minor in Middle School Mathematics (along with an endorsement to teach at the middle level).

9. lawRAWR

I have no idea what I want to do. I've finished school and going to college in September to study English Lit, Biology, archaeology and geography.

In a dream world, all I want to do is be in a band that inspires peopl. That's all I want, really.

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My family has always strongly encouraged me to law and civil service, but I'm beginning to think education would be a good field for me. Not that I would be bad at law, but I think education would be fascinating.

11. Hexagon

I was considering social worker. Or astronaut. Or revolutionary. Or political activist. Or professional author. Something like that.

12. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been working towards a career in media and multimedia, with web design and programming on the side. I currently am in college for multimedia but I plan on attending university in the future to do radio and television or something related to that. I don't want to wedge myself into a niche and not be able to do other things, I want to keep my options open.

Also I want to teach later in my career once I have a lot of experience in my field. This idea came to me when I learned some of my professors in college actually teach alongside their career. For example for my design basics class my prof was a graphic designer and I thought that would be awesome to do. Plus I would love to help others realize their potential as teachers have helped me realize, it must be quite a rewarding experience.

13. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Perhaps an art teacher.

---------- Post added 20th Jun 2013 at 05:55 AM ----------

Or a writer.

Or perhaps both :slight_smile:

14. samizer0313

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to be a psychologist but have photography as a side hobby.

15. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Musician + Songwriter, poet... then some boring day job

I dunno I always wanted to, and I am now, haha, as well as I can play two instruments (guitar and tin whistle, plus singing and growling; planing to learn Saxon Lyre, hulusi, and bouzouki). Music itself made me.. I guess?

16. FruitFly

My current stance is that I'll build a career in whichever field offers me a position post-graduation; technically I'm working towards a career in environmental health, but the love I had for the field is slowly draining away for various reasons.

17. Aielar

I'm already on the path of early childhood education (just graduated my first year, actually) and I could see myself staying in this field for at least twenty years, it's amazing. Another of my passions is photography - so eventually I may decide to do that on the side. My fallback is catering as I love baking and am rather good at it :slight_smile:

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I plan to major in some form of journalism, and plan to do something to do with television, perhaps as some sort of sports or political pundit.

19. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I got a very boring story. I´m a mechanic cause I like cars and we live next to a garage....I used to hang around there, helping my neighbour since I was little, and now I work there.
    My parents would have loved to see me as a law student, but they also said that I should follow my passion, cause that would make me happier than lots of money.

20. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I want to go into games programming and development. My dream would be to run my own indie studio someday, but I'm not sure I'll be able to due to mental illness.