1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

samaritans...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by yahooooo, Apr 25, 2008.

1. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

well today we had a talk in PSHE from the samaritans, a confidential advice phoneline in the UK and it really made me think...
    the work they do is amazing, they dont offer advice but are there to listen in a totally confidential environment to anyone who feels they need someone to talk to, however big or small the problem is. anyway we got onto the subject of what if they are told by a caller that they are planning on commiting a murder or child abuse??.. and the answer was of course they couldnt tell anyone as they abide by a total confidentiality code. what does everyone think of this??.. is it a good or bad thing.

it was quite controvertial in school but i believe that they shouldn't tell.. confidentiality is confidentiality, it is not for them to decide...

there was only one negative part of the talk... which was when one of the guys giving the talk went onto how a samatiran must ignore their prejudices.. " they may be gay or a peadophile.." and this really got to me. how can being gay be compared to abusing a child?? prejudice toward gay people is INCREDIBLY different from prejuce(deffinatly the wrong word he used) toward peadophiles!! i think that this was only this particular mans views but it did upset me a little...

anyway it was a really interesting talk and i was very inpressed by the amazing work they do.. its nice to know that there are good people like that out there :slight_smile: