1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't sleep

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Jun 21, 2013.

1. MerBear

this has been going on for a few days now, where i can't sleep....i am staying awake till 3am.....its 3am right now and i have to get up and leave the house by 11:30....

I don't feel tired at all right now and i have been sleeping in till 1 in the afternoon. '

anyone have this problem?

2. josh9623

yup, Ive had sleep problems since birth so I know what it's like

3. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah, I have chronic insomnia. Try wearing dark sunglasses after 5pm, you look like an idiot but it's helped me.

4. MerBear

i hate this. I usually sleep pretty late at night. like till 11 or 12 but never this late

5. Hexagon

I've been told that my solution to this isn't very constructive, but it really does work for me. Caffeine!

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't sleep in so much.

If you're falling asleep at 3am and waking up at 1pm, you're getting 10 hours of sleep - just at the wrong time of day. So you won't feel sleepy at bedtime, because you've already gotten plenty of sleep.

If you force yourself to wake up at the same time no matter how little sleep you've gotten, it'll be miserable for awhile, but your sleep cycle will (usually) adjust.

Then again, if nothing's forcing you to get up at a certain time, it's not going to hurt you to be on a different sleep cycle from everyone else.

7. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I can be an insomniac, but I also know that part of the reason is I have bad habits at night. I am trying to cut out caffeine after 6, no electronics after 9, and meditation at night.

I'm not doing so well with my plan so far, but I do have a plan. :slight_smile: Try these things and see how it works for you.

8. Femmeme

Yep, melatonin works for a lot of people. I can't use it because it exacerbates my chronic sleep paralysis problems but its worth a shot if you don't have that issue.

I also recommend meditation or something similar before bed. I'm mostly ignostic, but I find the ritual of the nighttime Shema to be very helpful. In its most basic essence it's away of releasing and forgiving the stresses and regrets of the previous day in order to your rest in a state of serenity and peace.

9. Crow Crippler

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My schedule is 4am to 11am. It isn't a problem for me, though.

#9 Crow Crippler, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  10. MerBear

well you see, that's just when i wake up...like, i mean...i just wake up naturally and its 1pm haha