1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could you be friends with someone who believes that homosexuality is a choice/sin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Steele, Jun 21, 2013.

?

Could you?

1. Yes

27 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. No

48 vote(s)
    43.6%
  3. Maybe/Not sure

35 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Would you be able to be friends with someone who believes that homosexuality is a choice or a sin? And why or why not?

Personally, I don't think I could. I've tried so hard to remind myself that these beliefs that homosexuality is a choice and/or a sin are all they've ever known, all they've ever grown up with, and that telling these people that they're wrong is just as frustrating for them as it is for me being told that homosexuality is a choice or a sin, but...I just can't bring myself to accept these people for hating something about me that I have no control over.

I grew up not knowing what it meant to be gay and not knowing that same-sex attraction was possible, while constantly being told that I would eventually find myself attracted for women. And for as long as I can remember, I was always waiting for and anticipating that day when I would find myself attracted to women, yet I still turned out gay. But because I didn't know what it meant to be gay and I didn't know that same-sex attraction was possible, I didn't realize that these feelings I had for men were the same feelings everyone was telling me I would develop for women, so I was still waiting for and anticipating that day when I would find myself attracted to women, but it never came. So whenever someone tells me that it's a choice that I made or a sin, I just get so angry and frustrated, and I just can't take that kind of bullshit from people.

Anyways, what about you guys?

2. Ridiculous

Re: Could you be friends with someone who believes that homosexuality is a choice/sin

I could be friendly towards them. I certainly wouldn't consider them a friend though.

3. Rexmond

Re: Could you be friends with someone who believes that homosexuality is a choice/sin

One of my best friends (who I've been friends with for years - since primary school) believes that gay people have a spirit inside from a demon or something. Stupid as fuck, but it's his religious beliefs, and despite them he still respects that I'm gay just as I respect the fact he's religious. Sad thing is, he didn't always believe this but his mum basically forced him into the religion.

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I know a few people like that. It's like politics. You don't bring it up. Generally, they are also Republican and very religious. I think that they are misinformed. Sometimes, their other personal qualities such as being helpful or generous are nice. However, a lot of their opinions on subjects are narrow-minded, so they are hard to be around for extended periods of time.

5. biggayguy

Yes, provided that they don't try to push their belief down my throat. I used to have those same beliefs so I cut them a little slack. If they start preaching then I withdraw myself.

#5 biggayguy, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  6. Pain

Pain Guest

I am gay. That is not subjective upon anyone's beliefs. I would not, could not be a friend to anyone who believed otherwise.

7. chrisV

i tried. after hanging out with him for a few months, i can't take anymore. he never shuts up about religion, and he won't stop telling everybody that homosexuality is a sin. i think he thinks that it's his duty to shove his beliefs down other peoples throats. he doesn't even know i'm gay, but if he did, i'm not kidding, he would probably attack me (he is a lot bigger than me, and he goes to some radical pentecostal church that preaches for the death of gay people :/)

8. Hexagon

No. But I treat people with respect, and I would be willing to listen if they should ever want to talk about it, and I'd give them a chance if they were willing to change. But the reason I couldn't be their friend is to do with trust. For me anyway, trust is the difference between a friend and everyone else you know, and I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting my trust in someone who hates a part of me.

9. Theagonist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family

I have a lot of freinds that do, I guess not "friends... aquantices maybe

10. MerBear

i have two friends that do

11. Bolin

I think I've spent enough time being around "friends" who believe that being gay is a sin and/or a choice. I'm done with that chapter of my life. If you can't accept all of me, then you will have none of me.

12. Hefiel

I wouldn't. To me, it's one thing to be ignorant, that can be addressed by educating the person, but it's another thing to prefer to remain ignorant despite the evidence.

If a "friend" of mine were to believe that homosexuality is a sin (and luckily for me, I don't live in a very religious area) and would not change his views, then I want as little as possible to do with that person. Not because I disagree with him, but because it's choosing to remain ignorant despite the significant amount of evidence pointing otherwise.

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

My friend used to think it's a choice, but I was able to change his way of thinking. Honestly, I think I could be friends with them, as long as they aren't hateful towards me about it.

14. Minx

It would be a strained friendship, but if they ever needed my help I'd be there for them. :slight_smile:

15. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Well... yeah. My cousin is homophobic and I'm sure is probably transphobic too, but he's one of my best friends (Mind you he knows nothing about me in that regard and of course I don't like that he's that way). I know a lot of people like that, but if that's what they believe it's what they believe and even though it's wrong and bigoted you really can't change it. You just have to deal with it sometimes.

16. 2112

I find it very ironic that this is your 666th post.

17. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Absolutely not. I have a plethora of people in my life who not only accept that I'm gay (and are educated enough to know it's not a choice), but embrace it and embrace me. There's no way I could ever be friends with someone that misinformed/hateful when I have so many informed, loving people in my life. Why compromise?

18. MatthewJS

one of my "friends" say its a choice and we argued for over an hour debating that its choice when I say its by birth. im about to cut all contacts from her. and called me stupid because I say its by birth when she is the stupid one because she says its by choice... naïve girl.

just like what Ridiculous, I would be friendly (except two people who I am enemies with) but not be friends with them.

19. Valerie

Valerie Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

No, because those people are close minded and I usually don't talk with people like that, so it's hard to become friends with them.

Everybody I know is open minded and none of them is religious, maybe not my father, but I didn't really have a choice the meet him, did I?

20. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

I could under certain circumstances. Although, I just started getting comfortable in my own skin this summer when I'm away from my college campus so the person that MIGHT have a problem with it has no clue. However, they have no problem with any of my other friends that are gay and they certainly don't preach to them.

But then again, I go to a VERY liberal campus so most of them can expect most of the population to be gay and they are very friendly toward them.

All in all: We'll see what happens this Fall, I'm very close to them and have abs. no problem with them. I don't see why they would a problem with me just because of my lifestyle.