1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If god exists, boy does he/she have a sense of humor :-/

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by girlunwound, Jun 21, 2013.

1. girlunwound

So I came out of a childhood and half a life of fundamentalist Christianity, in case you didn't know this already. I finally came out after I dumped all that craziness. Anyway life has been pretty good since then, aside from the last couple of years of being virtually unemployed. I lost a really good job and basically my career over coming out. So I've been rebuilding my life. I started a brand-new job a few weeks ago and it's a decent job, doesn't pay as well as my last gig but not too bad. A tech firm. I have a very unique skill-set, let's put it that way, and it has been very difficult to find a position that fits my experience.

Well it turns out, the place is Fundyville. I mean, like all of management is fundamentalist Christians. They even have a Bible study every week during work hours. At lunchtime, all the talk is about how much they hate Obama, liberals and gay people, Jesus this and church that. My manager even starts these conversations right on the production floor!

One co-worker who seems to be pretty cool has given me the low-down. He has been there for a few years and won't even eat lunch in the building because he hates all the lib-bashing and bible-thumping. And basically, if you want to go anywhere in the company, you have to join their little Bible study group. One person got fired after he was part of that group and then quit going. How they even got away with that I have no idea, but apparently they did.

I swear, it feels like I am working in hell. If Hell exists, I am in it. How the bloody fuck did I manage to land a job with probably the only company run completely by fundamentalist Christians in the entire region? >sigh<

On edit: if i could change the title, it would read "warped sense of humor." No really, god is a dick.

2. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Don't blame God for how Christians act. The fundamental Christians are a scared group of people who have to cling to antiquated beliefs based on verses that are taken out of context.

Read Love Wins by Rob Bell.

I have been hurt time and time again by churches. When I come out, there will be a shit storm. I am going to lose a lot of "friends" and it will be....interesting. But, I know that these are misguided people, not a true reflection of God.

3. girlunwound

I was being sarcastic :slight_smile:

I don't necessarily believe in god. I was making reference to the god that these fundies believe in, which I definitely DO NOT believe is what god is really like-- if god actually exists. Anyway it was just my lame attempt at humor. I work in hell. At least the 7th level, I think.

4. Aldrick

Have you considered talking to an employment lawyer? You can normally get a free consultation with some lawyers. Based on which state and community you live in you could have some options moving forward.

Now, obviously, you don't want to rock the boat until you have another job lined up. However, my advice is to get another job lined up, and as you do this speak to a lawyer privately to discover your options.

Once you have another job lined up, you could even act in such a way that would cause them to fire you on illegal grounds to ensure that you have a case to sue the fuck out of them. In other words, if you learn that being fired for leaving their bible study group is illegal, you could join their group temporarily, and then be all like, "You know guys, I disagree with a lot of what is being said here, so I don't think this is for me." Then when you're terminated hit them with the lawsuit.

Of course, by this time you'll be at your new job. They'll likely settle out of court, and you'll make some cash off of them. That's less $$$ that is going to fundy causes against LGBT people. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

(Holy crap, I'm a cynical and conniving bastard. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hardly; that's just a matter of course against a company using illegal methods.

But I would be careful; their lawyers may be able to squeeze every cent out of you by dragging the case on, until you drop the case, and you'll lose and have heaps of legal fees. Or the court may be biased (I have no idea how the US justice system works, by the way), and you won't win.

6. phoenixverde

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh okay good. I just really hate how some churches have given God a bad rep.