1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nostalgia!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Just1Dude, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone, happy Friday!

So.. on Friday's I always "indulge" a bit and order a pizza or something and watch a movie. This Friday I decided to watch "American Reunion." I was debating this since I tend to get easily depressed by movies with a Nostalgic touch. Aside from the slapstick and spotty acting I really enjoyed it! When I like a movie I go to imdb and read their forums to see what others have thought or if they share my views.

Well I ran across a few topics that really tugged at my "old" heart strings, haha!
    One was labeled "did you graduate in the 90's?" where they were talking about how life was more simple, how we had less technology, and that sort of stuff. It makes me feel silly feeling old thinking back to the 90's.. especially when someone who is say 70 could make a bigger impact with their "I remember when.." stories!

anyway...

I graduated in '03, so I wasn't technically a high school 90's baby.. but I remember the same stuff. It is amazing how much life around you can change in 10 years! When I was in HS cell phones were becoming really popular, and the best game was snake! I see my nephews now and their girlfriends and it depresses me how much their noses are stuffed in their Iphones or their XboX. Moderation! I remember when DVD players first came out and I thought "only rich people can afford those!" We got our first computer when I was in Jr High (our jr high was 8th-9th grade). I blew up messenger and AOL all the time! I also remember the "coolest" look was the button up shirts and the guys also started frosting their hair and putting in gel. I remember thinking "how in the heck do you get your hair like that?!" I am from small town AR where we have about 200-250 graduating each year, so we didn't really get too "radical" with the styles.

I also love reading the little write ups on "The most popular snacks in the 90's that don't exist anymore!" or "The top toys in the 90's!" (Skip it, anyone?) It is a nice nostalgia because I know I was able to experience and touch it. It is scary getting to that "age" where a fellow classmate can come up to you in the store and say "I went to school with *so*n*so*" because I vividly remember my Mother doing that with her old school friends, haha!

My days weren't too wild in HS ..(Remember Arkansas here lol) We would go and flatten some fields to have drinking parties, or just bum around at the lake all summer. Our biggest store here is Wal-Mart so we spent a lot of time there, lol.

Anyway.. I am going to stop here before this gets waaayy too long! I just wanted to Reminisce a little bit. It is amazing what a movie can do to ya haha!

2. George

Oh yes the 90s will always have a special place in my heart. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Of course, I'm several years younger than you - but I still have vivid memories going back to 1993. I remember playing Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, watching my favorite shows on Nickelodeon, and obsessing over the Lion King and Toy Story. I remember when Windows 95 was brand new and my kindergarten teacher was ecstatic because we had it running on the computer in our classroom. As a 5-6 year old I spent countless evenings on my dad's computer playing "Descent." I get super nostalgic whenever I hear the classic dial-up tone, and I have many fond memories of posting on my first message board in the late 90s. Oh, and who can forget Pokémon! That alone pretty much defines the era.

It's actually pretty cool to think that I was born the year that the World Wide Web was launched. Growing up right at the beginning of the computer revolution really gives our generation an interesting perspective. Someday in the far future we will be the last ones to remember a time when society and culture was not completely wrapped around the internet. It will be our duty to tell the young ones at that time what life was like before we were all connected. (Of course, they'll probably just ignore us like many of us did our own grandparents, but oh well it doesn't hurt to try!)

3. FreeFlow9917

Ohhh, i have a friend who has a shirt with favorite cartoon network shows from the 90's an.d a nick one, its pretty cool, even i was born in 97 and i loved the 90's

4. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Speaking of teachers and computers how can I forget Oregon Trail.. the only thing I thought a computer was good for when I was in elementary school lol.