1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scholarships, university, and applying

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kamina, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Kamina

Hey, so this summer I have to research and apply to a bunch of different scholarships for the 2015 school year (grade 12 next year) , I have no idea where to start (except it has to be canada cause well... money) :tears: or even where to really apply to university! Im really into medical sciences - pathologhy being my top choice. Its all rather scary too me and if anyone has some advice on schools, programs, essays, or scholarships I'm all ears! (!)

2. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I would like some advice too on this topic lol but I suggest 2 yr college first then 4 yr

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This seemed interesting: A non-profit dedicated to scolarships for LGBT students:

Point Foundation

If I win the lotto, I'd love to set up such a fund!

4. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with Unsurevirgin, go to a community college first (to get your basics out of the way) and then transfer. By doing that, you will save a bunch of money, I can guarantee that! But before you take classes at a community college, I strongly recommend checking to see what classes will transfer to the university you aspire to go to.

I don't live in Canada so I can't recommend/don't know of any universities, good luck with your search though.

5. Goodnyte

My opinion, if you want to get the most out of going to college, and not just the academics, I suggest going to a 4 year starting out. That way you get the full college experience (e.g. dorm living, everyone being new, freshman parties etc.). My mom did the community college then 4 year college thing and she said she wishes she just went straight into a 4 year.

However, if all you want to do is save some money and go into the field, do the two year then 4 year. I still recommend a university straight out but it is your choice.

As far as schools go, I only know one. That is McGill. I know they have a pathology program there. A link to the college is here: Home Page | McGill University and the link for the pathology program is here: Department of Pathology | Pathology - McGill University

I hope that helps a little. Anyways, good luck with your search. (!)

6. Kamina

:icon_bigg Thanks everyone!!! I'll definitially check out all the links and the tip about college before university is really interesting, I never considered that before!! ^.^ :eusa_danc

7. Hudson

I second the community college option. I did community college before going on to a state university for my Bachelors, and then onto an Ivy League for my Graduates/MBA (currently in progress).

Community colleges are GREAT values, and generally have great teachers. The one I went to, 80% of my teachers were also professors at the near-by UC, and the education was very similar.

So it was partly a UC education for far less.

As for Canadian universities... what are you looking to major in? That'll give fellow Canadians an idea of where to suggest.