1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do people even care?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why do people care about someone's sexual preference?

Taken at it's most basic level, sex can be defined as the arousal experienced from bodily friction or touch. That's a pretty broad definition, though there are more narrow ones. So, it's about the sense of touch and vision as well, and that's most of it. Skin sliding against skin feels good. Let it go, folks.

Why is such a big deal made of it? Even among people who profess to be liberal? Is it because you don't reproduce the human race? Is it because third wheels make people uncomfortable in some settings? Is it because of religion? I don't get it. There are athletes coming out who shatter the stereotypes - people like Gareth Thomas, Billy Bean, and the guy who was a kicker for a college in Tennessee. They seem like regular good guys to me. It's such a small part in defining someone that I don't understand people's obsession with either having to know or having to talk about it incessantly if they do find out.

Even in today's supposedly liberal times, the media is also obsessed with it.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People hate it when others flout their social establishments. It makes them automatically repulsed if something they don't personally like is accepted elsewhere.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is a sad fact that more people are bothered by who you love than who you hate...

4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But, it seems like a threat of some sort. Or it seems like something they can focus on to assert dominance. In the animal kingdom, they don't care. I don't get it.

5. justjade

I think you hit the nail right on the head. It's so weird how that works.

6. Amerigo

+1 some animals revere those that have mastery over the opposite and the same sex.
    and neither did the ancient Greeks. those beautiful Greeks. draped in togas. skin glossed by the sun. i think i need a moment...