1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did you first realize that you were bi?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by spockbach, Jun 22, 2013.

1. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    How old were you when you first realized you were bi? What made you realize you weren't straight or gay? Were you scared? I know I was!! :confused:

2. Hexagon

12, I think. Maybe a bit before then, but that was when I first told someone.

3. Aurora Planet

How did you realise, if you don't mind me asking?

4. Hexagon

Well, I think my first attraction was to girls. But I was looking at a picture of a guy, and I just thought "damn, he's pretty". A few weeks later, I heard someone mention the term 'bisexual', and I started using it. Since then, I've refined it a bit. I'm pansexual rather than bi, but thats not particularly significant to the story.

5. Amerigo

16 but i think i might be gay now, i never knew what bi was until 14

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2013 at 08:51 PM ----------

fyi i believe bisexuality exists even though i may have been gay all along

6. Aurora Planet

Oh right, because I'm still trying to figure myself out... Was that attraction to both steady after that? Like, did you have any days of thinking, "I'm 100% straight" or "I'm 100% gay"?

7. Amerigo

yeah, i went through periods where i was strongly attracted to girls, with some attraction to boys at other times. but it was very fluid, not like two different personality switching between each other. i'll admit, my interest in boys rose as it declined in girls. now i hardly notice girls. strange. it could work differently for different people.

8. HippieWitchMama

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I was about 23 or so when I identified that I was actually sexually and romantically attracted to women as well as men. I identified it when I was involved in sexual play with a female friend and a male friend simultaneously. I have had a few experiences with women and enjoyed them. I have only been with other bisexual females, straight males, and one bisexual male. I am more interested in what is in a person's heart and mind than what gender they present as.

9. Aurora Planet

Oh right, haha. It's just I'm so indefinite! I have a boyfriend at the moment, but half the time feel like I'm with the wrong sex! Do you think this phase will settle and I'll know which I prefer?

10. Amerigo

tbh, i'm still questioning. i wish i could just give you a straight up answer :slight_smile: but i haven't found mine yet! it's good you've tried dating the opposite sex, perhaps when reflecting on your time with the same sex (if you have not done already) you'll get a clearer picture of it all. i hope you do get some idea, i know how frustrating it is not being able to put a label (because labels make life easier) on your sexuality, especially when everyone tells you to "not care sexuality is fluid blah blah"...

11. Aurora Planet

Well I have had a girlfriend (for a VERY short time!) and felt exactly the same :'P I'd just like to not be questioning all my relationships &c.

12. Hun

Hun

When I was 13, I was questioning myself. When I was 14, I knew. When I was 16, I told somebody.

13. biggayguy

When I made out with a boy on the school bus...the magic school bus! :kiss: When I got out of junior high I denied it for years and years.

#13 biggayguy, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  14. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I think I knew when I was little, but I thought it was wrong.

15. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Young, at the movies. See a movie with a dark haired handsome main actor? Became intrigued. See a movie with an attractive woman with her breasts exposed? Became aroused. Mess around with a guy when in school? Became aroused. Mess around with a girl in school? Became aroused. Mess around with a guy or a woman as an adult? Became aroused. See a good looking guy downtown? Became intrigued. Walk into a bar not expecting to see a woman lift her blouse and give those nearby a feel of her new boob job? Became aroused. So far, the list is entirely physical. The emotional part is way more complicated. Sometimes it even confuses me.

16. catatonie

I didn't really recognise & accept it until 19/20 and I don't mean I was closeted I full on didn't believe I could be, which was heavily influenced by a (well intentioned) teacher telling my psychology class that most "sexuality crises" in people our age were due to hormones confusing our friendships with our same-sex friends for something more, or some bullshit. So whatever attraction I felt for men, who were always my friends, I wrote it off as that.

I came to accept that my attractions weren't just hormonal blips when I actively started thinking about whether I'd be with a guy like I could a girl & then I had an "oh fuck I'm gay" phase which kind of screwed with me since I still carried around a lot of that ugly homophobia.

Meeting my then & current partner helped me come to understand it doesn't really fucking matter because he has been very chill and secure in his sexuality, and the less of a deal I stated to make out of it the less afraid and ashamed I was of that small part of me.

fin lol

17. Hudson

I started wondering around 12/13 when I was noticing I was attracted to both guys and girls equally.

By age 14 I knew I was bisexual, having experimented with both and enjoyed guys and girls equally.

Was mostly scared for it to get out since high school obviously is a pretty tough place when it comes to anyone "different." Luckily it stayed under wraps except for a few close friends, and the boys I messed around with/dated, but I'm more open with it now.

Not super open, but my friend group is aware of my sexuality and accept me fully for it. :slight_smile:

18. yidnah87

I didn't "come out" to myself as bi until about age 20. However, I had a little experience with a guy in early high school, but thought it was a phase and didn't think it was for real. By late high school, I was noticing guys more, so I started to consider myself bicurious. Then I recognized my bisexuality in college as my same sex desires were for real.

It turns out that my bisexuality is a phase...a lifelong one :slight_smile:

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like 11. I didn't call myself bi until years later, but it was at this age that I realized I got excited looking at guys.

20. Foxface

my first realization was several years ago when I came to terms with the fact that I found myself terribly attracted to men. I considered my strong femme side and my desire to be with men as simply bicurious. Later then I had some experiences with men and well I couldn't deny it any further. Finally I came out earlier this year as bi. I was 33 when I did

Foxface