1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ties for short, skinny guys?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justjade, Jun 22, 2013.

1. justjade

Hey, guys.

I love ties, but I'm 5'4" and about 115 lbs with a 28" waist. I know that, as a general rule, when tied, neckties should hang about to your belt buckle, but I'm so short that they always end up hanging to my crotch. Neckties should also be in proportion with the size of your neck and waist, but they tend to be too wide for me. Usually, I'd just camouflage the width of the tie by wearing a sweater over it, which I think looks really sharp, but the weather is a tad too hot for that now.

When the stuff in the men's department is too big or doesn't fit right, I usually just bee-line it for the boys' department, but most of the boys' ties are clip-on, which I think looks really cheap, albeit easier than regular ties because I have yet to master tying one correctly. And they're usually actually too short.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys think. Are there places you can custom-order ties? I have a sewing machine, so are there any tailoring options? I'm a bit nervous about altering them myself because I'm not a master tailor or anything. But I'd really like to get some advice on this.

Thanks, guys! :grin:

2. LD579

Get 'slim' ties, and learn how to wrap the tie twice in the knot. That's a terrible explanation by me but... my brother does that and so when we both wear ties there is an obvious difference in length between us both. I don't know how to do what he does, so... my explanation might be lacking. I think it's called a Double Windsor...

Besides that, er, you know how a tie is thinner on one end and thicker at the other end? When you tie your tie, pull the thin end until it's just as long as the thick end, and that should minimize the length of the tie.

Hopefully this helps... somewhat.

3. justjade

Yeah, it's a double winsor. I'm kind of nervous about doing that because I'm afraid the knot will be too big in proportion to my neck. My neck is about 13 inches. I guess I could try it. There's no harm in that because I don't have any formal occasions coming up any time soon. The closest wedding that I know of is for a friend of mine, which is next summer, so I'm good for now.

4. Candace

This applies to me since I'm 6'0, 145 pounds, 32 inch waist. I wear skinny ties and that are one solid color.

5. justjade

I love solid ties with gingham or striped shirts. However, I also like paisley ties with solid shirts. It's kind of a struggle for me. I have a lot of shirts and several ties that need altering, but not many of them actually go together. I'm kind of an impulse buyer.

6. Hudson

7. justjade

Ah! Yes! Thank you! I think skinny ties would be great for me, but I'm always afraid they'll go out of style. But I guess I shouldn't care about that if they look good, I guess. :thumbsup:

8. Candace

but I've found skinny ties only to have solid colors.

For example, I have a gray belt and gray skinny tie. I love wearing it with a Chaps long sleeve shirt (with pockets in front), blue jeans, and casual black shoes.

Make the tie and the belt match :wink:

9. justjade

Sounds cool. :slight_smile:

10. Candace

That's why I say solid color ties instead of stripe/plaid, etc. since it's harder to match it with anything (unless you're like the best damn fashion designer ever) hahaha

11. justjade

That seems to be the best option. I've got a pretty great sense of style, but I don't think I'm that good. :lol:

12. Candace

Have you considered fashion school? New York/Paris/Milan!

Anyway, I always wear a striped dress shirt with a solid tie, or vice-versa.

I wish they could make a denim tie so that way it'd match with jeans :slight_smile:

13. justjade

I read fashion magazines (both men's and women's) religiously. I've wanted to go to fashion design school, but I don't have a lot of money. I actually have never heard of fashion school, but I can guess what it is. They'd probably stick me in dresses and heels and makeup since I'm biologically female. :dry:

I wish I had some better dress pants and dressier belts. I need more elements to complete my look. I'd also like some more pairs of penny loafers. I have a brown pair, but that's it. Maybe some nice, shiny wingtips, too.

14. Bowtiesandstuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  15. Candace

Sounds great! I always like reading the catalogs that I get from Ralph Lauren, JCPenny, Sears, etc. and see how they do. I'd like to try and say "ha! This guy here has X combination of clothes on, therefore I can wear it as well!"

16. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm 5'5 ~130 had the same problem. Bought a Club Room old gold tie with blue stripes. I tied it a dozen times using the only knot I know how (the simple knot) and it hung down to my crotch it seemed like. Then my friend did the knot that I did twice and it looks perfect. I just have to keep in mind to never undo that tie.

17. Candace

Story of my life. I always pre-tie my ties.