1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A hypothetical question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Hexagon

If a family member or friend who you were close to were murdered, how would you react towards the killer? What would you want their punishment to be? And if you had the choice, what punishment would you give them?

I'm curious.

2. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I lost a family member a couple years ago to a drunk driver who had three previous DUI's, and I wanted him dead. But that's too easy; rotting in prison causes more suffering, which is what he deserves.

3. MrBrightside

Id kill them, not a doubt about it. If i didnt know who it was straight away id get them when they were released from prison :slight_smile:

4. MerBear

i'd have them locked up.

i wouldn't go extreme to kill someone. You know why? because that person is dead and killing someone isn't going change the past and its not going to really help my grieving process.

its natural to feel anger ...but to go as far as killing someone is pointless
    '
    just my 2 cents

5. Candace

I'd have them locked up for good, so that way he/she could never harm another living soul again.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had free reign to do whatever to them? I wouldn't kill them. I'd endeavor to give them a ROYAL beating, probably to the point where one or more limbs was permanently crippled. That way they have an idea of the pain and loss that they caused others, and can live with that guilt for many more years.

7. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. I want them to live with the guilt for the rest of their life.

8. Minx

I would probably make the rest of their life a living hell, never a moments peace.

Never go for the kill; when you can go for the pain. :3

9. FruitFly

The partner of my cousin killed her three years ago, and a stranger murdered my uncle when I was 5, so this is a subject I can actually speak about without thinking of a hypothetical situation.

Obviously at 5 I didn't really understand what was going on, I just knew my family were sad. However they taught me a valuable lesson: never get angry, never sink to the level where you'd lash out in hurt, acknowledge what has happened and either forgive or accept that your life has to be more than seeking to harm someone.

When my cousin was killed I was shocked and my reaction towards her killer was rather absent for a good number of weeks. I was devoid of any feeling for him, I didn't even care as I was so focused on the pain of losing her. Whenever I saw his image, or heard someone talk about him, I was just devoid of feelings for him. I don't even react to his image now. He was drunk and used that as an excuse to do what he did. The only punishment I wanted for him was whatever the courts decided to be just. As for my own view of punishment ... I don't know. We have a legal system, it may be flawed but it exists. 6 months, a year, 10 years, 20 years, a lifetime it doesn't really matter. I can never think of punishments because whatever you do it won't bring that person back, and to be honest I'd much rather get on with the task of supporting my family through those times than being consumed with thoughts of punishing them. I want to say I think losing access to his children was enough of a punishment, unfortunately I'm not sure he cares that much.